[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here teach history? I'm going to take my teacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: alfredthegreat.jpg (75 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
alfredthegreat.jpg
75 KB, 620x387
Anyone here teach history?

I'm going to take my teacher training soon, a bit scared, no idea what to expect.

Does it grind all the love of the subject out of you? Any good stories?
>>
>>346388
if you aren't a professor, teaching means throwing away the idea that the scum you're going to be teaching has any interest in the matter whatsoever.

elementary schoolers, middle schoolers, and high schoolers (at least in america) don't give a rats ass about anything in history, the males might enjoy periods of war but they'll quickly lose interest the moment you deviate away from battles and blood.

you will be disrespected, your job security is spotty at best, you will need summer jobs to keep a reasonable standard of living, and your wages will be abhorrent.

teacher training isn't what you should be worried about.
>>
>>346447
I'm British btw, so the security, summer, and wages aren't SO bad.
>>
Canadian here - English major and History minor. I want to teach English, History, and Theatre in remote & northern Canada

I'm starting my Education degree next year. I'm very excited. I've wanted to teach my whole life.

I spoke to some teachers before applying and they said they are still energetic about their disciplines. Especially since their school divides classes based on subject material instead of by age (i.e. - you take Medieval History or Canadian History instead of Grade 11 or Grade 12, etc.). Keeping the classes fresh and avoiding routine is a challenge for them - you'll probably change up your curriculum every few years or so.
>>
>>346388
I teach high school level history classes, ranging from World History to European history, and probably whatever they'd ask me to teach in that direction.

Livability and defining whether or not it was all worth it becomes apparent based on where you end up doing it for most of your career. Middle-Upper class towns with growing populations are the best, inner cities are interesting but more stressful. Rural areas mean shittier than usual job security.

After a while you get used to watering things down and come to respect and expect the fact that most kids simply won't a flying fuck about the details.
>>
I want to teach history at a university level but my family convinced me to start a business instead and now I'm stuck and miserable

just sharing 8)
>>
>>347177
"world history"
"european history"
what the fuck are those subjects ? I mean, its really vague / unprecise.
I don't mean to be rude, just genuinely curious ; who and where are you teachiing ? Do you live in america ?
>>
Thinking about heading to the Netherlands, Switzerland, Finland, or possibly Denmark, Norway or Canada for my first history teaching job.

Hopefully there's as many progressive private schools in those countries as there are scattered all over the US.
>>
>>348028
Everything in those countries is considered progressive from an american point of view.

On a side note, as a brit living in the netherlands, the Dutch are a good idea, but you will have to know a fair bit of Dutch history.
Dutch schools like having native english speakers, and i've done a bit of research in the local schools and all of the kids are very polite and interested.

the others seem nice too, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of schools out there, but Canada is just America Lite, I wouldn't expect their kids to be much better.

Also International Schools generally have slightly higher standards for teachers, a masters degree will do you better than a short teaching course.
>>
>>348382
Lol
>>
>>348382

Dutch history education is a joke.

In high school at least.
>>
>>348532
You may think they were shitty, but you have never been to school in the UK.

>>348546
I know, but most history BA graduates have barely even heard of the dutch golden age, or knew they were a republic for so long
>>
>>348546
Teacher in North-Holland here,

This totally depends on your teacher. Mine was pretty good when I was in highschool.

>>348627
Wtf are you on about UvA here, you have a course in your first year with at least 3 months of golden-age Europe and the Netherlands. In your second year you must follow a course about Dutch history in general for 4-5 months with atleast 7-8 weeks talking about the republic, how it came to be the 80-years war and all that.
>>
>>348638
Where in North Holland, broer?
>>
>>347879
'American history' is also really broad. You're just a Euro so you don't know anything about the outside world.
>>
>>348648
I teached in Zaanstad, Amsterdam and Kennemerland
>>
>>347196
What's your business?
>>
>>346447
Are you talking about teaching in the us? I trained in the UK and I teach in a private school in Paris. Teaching history is awesome and is one of the children's favourite subjects. They love investigating and pretending to be archaeologists. Right now we are writing a survival guide to Anglo Saxon England.

I can't say much for secondary education but if you have young children and you're teaching history and they don't like it you're a shit teacher.
>>
>>348648
>>348659
Sorry if I go off-topic a bit
I'm considering to go for an historical master in the Netherlands, do you have any advice for me? I'm still not sure but global and maritime history at Leiden seems dope
>>
>>348382

At least in terms of "objective" analyses of education systems like PISA, Pearson Index, Legatum Index, etc, Canada ranks much higher than the US, which is pretty remarkable seeing as their culture is just America lite as you said.
>>
>> >>349390
Most masters are only a year here, I studied in Amsterdam if you want to stay longer go for a research master. Leiden is a pretty good choise.
>>
>>348638
i meant foreigners, and not ones who have studied in the netherlands
>>
File: 1425629679001.png (696 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1425629679001.png
696 KB, 633x758
>>348661
Lawncare and snowplowing and various other outdoor services
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.