[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Voltaire, /his/ Brilliant writer, or deluded comedian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Tell me about Voltaire, /his/

Brilliant writer, or deluded comedian?
>>
>>345667
His work marks the end of the Age of Darkness
>>
Tell me /his/, why is his face so smug?
>>
>>345692
Voltaire was ultimately right about pretty much every single topic he wrote about. He was loved and respected, but never hated, throughout all of Europe. Furthermore, he because a meme in his lifetime.

Would you not be smug as fuck?
>>
>>345667

Any man who had buttsex with Frederick the Great is brilliant.
>>
Brilliant man.
>>
>>345667
>A witty saying proves nothing
>Does nothing but spew wit

It's a shame he wasn't guillotined
>>
File: davey be chillin.png (187 KB, 291x293) Image search: [Google]
davey be chillin.png
187 KB, 291x293
>HOLY
>ROMAN
>EMPIRE
>>
>>345840
I dunno, I liked Candide when I was in high school
>>
>>345667
He's a great troll and writer.
But he also was a complete hypocrite. He had stakes in slave and gunpowder companies.
>>
>>345710
>Voltaire was ultimately right about pretty much every single topic he wrote about
>what is the HOLY (TRUE) ROMAN (SOMETIMES TRUE) EMPIRE (TRUE)
>>
>completely lied about the calas trial
>was one of the most prominent catholic hating influence of his time
>used his influence to undermine the vatican's power in France
>was buddy buddy with protestants (aka ennemies of the french catholic kingdom)

meh.He is a traitor as far as I am concerned.
>>
>>345969
If history has shown anything it's that the further away you get from the Catholics the better everything is. There's a reason the industrial revolution happened in Protestants countries, nothing could get done in Catholic countries with the church's instance on censoring anything that might be useful to anyone. They opposed the invention of the encyclopedia....
>>
>>345989
>this entire post

Please for the love of God never write anything again.
>>
He was certainly very witty and effective, but ultimately everything he wrote was purely destructive.
>>
File: voltaire.jpg (630 KB, 1236x1550) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.jpg
630 KB, 1236x1550
>>345667
>
>
>

but quite definitely /fa/
>>
>>345989
i'm pretty sure it's a much more complex matter than i'd be able to discuss on ,but history has shown too that technological advancement trumps ,by a wide margin ,culture and tradition. it might have had a different form but the bottom of an industrial revolution would have been the same under catholic rule.

but if you take on a political standpoint ,voltaire worked actively against the crown and led one of the bloodiest civil war in western europe history.

I'm not saying that Bourbons had nothing to be ashamed of ,especially whith the "cousining" and over nepotism of the royal class in with neighboring countries ,but you make it sound the church was ready to launch a holy war against the encyclopedia ,which is something absolutely preposterous ,seeing as how science and religion was vastly segregated at the time.

>>346038
I do have to agree this is some sexy cunt outfit
>>
File: 7658743657.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
7658743657.png
48 KB, 500x282
Who is smuger, Pepe or Voltaire?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.