[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sassanians and Romans sometimes collaborated to fight against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Sassanians and Romans sometimes collaborated to fight against the nomads of the North. In fact, sources tell us how at least one of the causes of war between both empires could be disagreement on this matter.

With the death of Khosraw II, the end of the last war and the rise of the Rashidun Caliphate, persians and romans had now another common enemy. Yet in the few battles of muslim expansion I've heard about the arabs fight either persians or romans, not both. Did the two empires try to collaborate to defeat the arabs? Are there famous battles were both persians and romans fought against the muslim expansion? Did it work or were they defeated too when collaborating?
>>
I'm interested too, so bump
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Firaz
>>
>>345158
Neat. Was this the only one?
>>
>>345098
>tfw the Caliphate didn't stay in just Arabia
>tfw no Carolingian, Byzantine, Sassanid Caliphate tetrarchy reigning over Europe and the Middle East
>>
>>345207
Yes, IIRC. You can't see it on the map, there is not much places of contact left. That's more interesting, you find "Christian Arabs" on the side of Romans and Persians in almost every battle.
>>
>>345237
Well, the christian arab dynasties of the Banu Lakhm and the Banh Ghassan had been under persian and roman (respectively) suzerainity for centuries. While the two kingdoms didn't exist anymore at the time, I'm sure there were a lot of loyal (christian) arabs still.
>>
>>345098
The Romans and Persians did infact plan to take on the Islamic threat at the same time but piss poor cooridination meant that the Arabs never had to face both at the same time
>>
>>346089
Another issue was that the Persians had a chance of catching a break but Yadzegerd's generals and commanders were constantly raiding during peace time back into former Persian territories the Caliphate took and Khalid resumed reengaging the Persians when he wanted to consolidate his gains.

If this hadn't happen, the Persians could've staved off the Arabs and fortified, extending the duration of the empire at least into the 8th century for another half century or so. And we do know they and their Byzantine counter parts were coordinating with the raids and military intelligence reports with each other.
>>
File: desire to know more intensifies.gif (992 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
desire to know more intensifies.gif
992 KB, 600x480
>>346089
>>346419

Sources on this? Not doubting it, I just really want to read more about the specific subject and having a hard time finding where.
>>
>>345158
>120k
>against 15k
>somehow lose
>100k dead in the process
how in the fuck?
>>
>>346436
>According to al-Tabari, Hormozd's army during the battle consisted of “keepers of chickens and swine.” Hormozd may have been the father of the promient Sasanian general Bahman Jadhuyih, who was already recorded as an old man by 634. Thus Hormozd was probably an old man during the Battle of Firaz.

>tl;dr: one of the greatest military minds of world history fights an army of pig herders commanded by a grandpa (with some roman support)
>obvious result
>>
>>345098
Didn't the arabs invade after the byzantines and sassanids hade just gone through a long war?
>>
>>346496
Romans and persians warred each other one day and collaborated against nomads the other. As it's been said, one of the casus bellis of Cosroes (or maybe his father Kavadh, I don't remember no) for declaring war against Justinian was that he wasn't paying his part to mantain the Persian gates against ciscaucasian nomads.
>>
>>345098
because one of the main objective when khalid manouvered back and forth around the levant was spesifically to prevent those from happening
>>
>>346522
and it worked btw
>>
>>346436
>>346478
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Firaz
>strength: 120,000-150,000
>"Dubious"
>>
>>346678
>[dubious – discuss]
>[dubious – discuss]
>[dubious – discuss]
>[better source needed]
good article
>>
>>346678
>>346694
Yeah Arabs tend to inflate numbers heavily.
>>
>>346436
It was probably more like 40,000, tops. There's no way they could possibly have that sort of manpower available to them, certainly not after a bunch of Byzantine-Persian wars.

Even at their peak the Romans never were fielding 100+ thousand strong field armies in a single battle.
>>
>>347238
You're forgetting also the Persians had an 8 year long plague that wiped out over half the population of their empire, and it ended the year the Yadzegerd III became emperor, which is a year right before the Arabs invaded.

So yeah I have doubts myself that a severely depleted, immediately plague-stricken 1-year post recovered Persia was fielding these fuck huge armies in every battle against the Arabs.
>>
>>346436
its exaggerated
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.