[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pantheon thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
Post the gods of your pantheon and tell us about them.
>Pic related is Shango, from the Yoruba pantheon.
>God of thunder, lightning and fire.
>He was a human king and after his death, he became a god.
>He can breath fire and cast lightning from his war axe.
>>
File: tumblr_nv0wielMSH1s8p1hwo1_540.jpg (167 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv0wielMSH1s8p1hwo1_540.jpg
167 KB, 540x810
I don't worship any single pantheon (with polytheism, what's the point of limiting yourself?), but I really like this depiction of Zeus. I prefer my Gods to look a bit more inhuman than most, and I think the image really hammers home the power and majesty of the King of the Gods.

Shango is Patrician tier though, as are most of the Yoruba pantheon.
>>
Bumping to start a conversation of polytheology. So, how do y'all view the Gods? Do you see Gods with similar functions as being the same being (i.e. Zeus and Thor are both a single thunder God being experienced through different cultural lenses)? Or do you think all Gods are their own independent entities? Or something in between?
>>
>>344396
>shango
>Orisha
>Yoruba

>Not being in the superior Palo

ATR Newfag please go
>>
>>345324
It's very interesting to think about. I view them as separate entities who just happen to fill the same role because their personalities tend to be very different.
>>
File: indra.jpg (751 KB, 1613x1911) Image search: [Google]
indra.jpg
751 KB, 1613x1911
>>344396
To stay out of trolling, I'll avoid the Trimurti. That leaves only 330 million minus 3. I'll hit a few off the top of my head.

Indra: King of devas, sky dominion, uses a thunderbolt weapon, serious playa, sounds familiar, rides a 4-tusked elephant, once was cursed to have his body covered in vaginas (serious), then taken pity on and had the vajayjays turned into eyes.
>>
>>346626
I've always been kind of bummed that Indra gets such a bum rap in modern Hinduism. While the Trimurti are cool, I find Indra's whole warrior sky king riding an elephant really appealing; however, I can't find any info on worshipping him in a modern context.
>>
>>345324
They started as the same being in the PIE tradition, but they were developed independently of one another by their respective cultures. Thus Pantheons are as representative of a culture as their language is despite genetic ties.
>>
>>347636
Actually, Zeus and Thor were likely not the same being in the Proto-Indo-European pantheon. Zeus is likely derived from Dyeus who is thought to have been a god of the sky, while Thor is likely derived from Perkwunos who is thought to have been a god of thunder.
>>
>>347636
That's certainly a way of approaching the question from a historical perspective, but I'm more interested in the theology. While the names Indo-European civilizations used for their respective Gods have the same roots, it is hard to argue in practice that, say, Tyr and Zeus are the same entity. While the names humans use for these Gods share a linguistic root, Tyr and Zeus have completely different functions, attributes, associations, symbols, and rituals within their respective traditions.
>>
>>347750
I didn't mean Zeus and Thor specifically, but rather gods who are actually analogous.

>>347754
They are the same entity at the historical/linguistic root. Like I said, the pantheons and gods are representative of their culture. Obviously sharing etymology does not signify that they share character or purpose.

Essentially I assign historical connections between them when appropriate but consider each pantheon separately.
>>
File: dionysos-satyr.jpg (81 KB, 460x464) Image search: [Google]
dionysos-satyr.jpg
81 KB, 460x464
Dionysos.

God of organic fluids (milk, sperm, blood, honey, vine, etc).

Based as fuck, supposedly beautiful and madness-inducing.
The awesome side of chaos.
>>
>>346626
>indra
>literally gets beaten up and chased out of the heavens on a weekly basis.
see. you gotta do shit to earn respect.
compare him to someone like vishwakarma, who is the closest you have to a god of machinery
>>
>>347769
>>347754
>>347750
Y'all niggas need to read up on some Georges Dumezil.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.