[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eternal 'what book are you reading' thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 9
So /his/, what book are you currently reading?

I'm rolling through this at the moment like it's anuddah blitzkrieg. Capitivating and uncomplicated account of life for ordinary French citizens during WW2.
>>
File: 11197125.jpg (32 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
11197125.jpg
32 KB, 313x475
I'm about half way through this.

Very good look at Nazi policy and views through the last few months of the war. Nothing really new, but a very good account nevertheless.
>>
>>342940
>>
File: La Sociedad Feudal.jpg (38 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
La Sociedad Feudal.jpg
38 KB, 540x720
>>342940

Back to a classic.
Blach´s work are always enjoyable.
>>
>>343020
I really like that illustration.
>>
File: everythingflows.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
everythingflows.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Grossman's last work is a look into the working people's mentality during the first years of the post-Stalin Soviet Union. With them trying to cope with what all happened during his rule from the famine to World War II. Interesting read, definitely worth the time.
>>
Is Anna Funder's Stasiland any good lads?
>>
File: godandreason.jpg (27 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
godandreason.jpg
27 KB, 267x400
Just started pic related:

"History has not been kind to the vast era we call the "Middle Ages." The name designates an intellectual hiatus between the philosophical and technical genius of ancient Greece and Rome and the "rebirth" of knowledge in the Renaissance. Edward Grant wants this to change. He suggests that we consider the period following the establishment of scholasticism until the sixteenth century the pinnacle of an "Age of Reason." In this vein, Grant's latest book is pure apologetics for the Middle Ages.

Grant argues that the University curriculum of the Middle Ages reflected a "self-conscious" use of reason unmatched "in all of human civilization." He claims that medieval use of reason did not restrict itself "to any particular theory of knowledge," though he argues that late Medieval scholars adopted the methodological rigor inherent in Aristotle's own logic and natural philosophy. The University Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Theology successfully applied these methods to advance logic, natural philosophy, and ultimately theology itself. Grant demonstrates in his penultimate chapter that Aristotelian natural philosophy infused and eventually dominated theological discussions about everything from angels to the Eucharist and makes his case that the late Middle Ages was no intellectual void."
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x450
Excellent accounts from all sides, soldier and civilian.
>>
File: 41uIGC6RmIL.jpg (29 KB, 327x500) Image search: [Google]
41uIGC6RmIL.jpg
29 KB, 327x500
just finished this

breddy good
>>
File: 1426538186762.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
1426538186762.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
>>343142
>>343114
>>343050
>>342986
>>342940
>ww2 history
>>
Caesars Gallic Campaign
Then I'll do the civil war
>>
>>343196

>replying to a thread just to point out that chocolate is better than vanilla

Hope that metaphor didn't go over your head, autist.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.