[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how "Germanic"/Anglo-Saxon are the modern English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 640x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 640x606
Just how "Germanic"/Anglo-Saxon are the modern English and Lowland Scots today?
>>
File: Germanic_Europe.gif (74 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
Germanic_Europe.gif
74 KB, 800x545
Pretty Germanic.
>>
>>341411
There's not really a clear "Germanic" node genetically to distinguish from Celtic. Really it's more like there's a continuum of Irish - general British - SE English - Dutch/Frisian - German - Scandi
>>
File: nature14230-f1.jpg (228 KB, 513x600) Image search: [Google]
nature14230-f1.jpg
228 KB, 513x600
>>341429
Thus literally has nothing to do with the specific Anglo saxon heritage and just shows one paternal ancestor out of thousands

>>343492
This is also wrong

We have the autosomal genetic information from the body's of actual early anglo saxon settlers in England.

So what are the percentages?
Its seems that the modern english are usually around 20-40 percent anglo saxon. Those with the highest percentages lived in the south east. The closest modern populations to ancient anglo saxons were not surprisingly the dutch and the danish

This map here shows how genetically diverse The UK really is though
>>
>>343520
I wonder who the "West Yorkshire" tribe are. Vikings?
>>
>>343520
red square best square
>>
>>341429

But not as Germanic as it is British.
>>
Gildas is a good case study to look at when it comes to interactions between British and Saxons in the early years.

Roman-educated in the post Roman era, lived in a fancy villa, educated at a school that educated thousands every year in Wales, lived in relative safety allowed to preach his message before retiring to Brittany.

Yet he still claims that "The pagans drive us to the sea and the sea drives us to the pagans."

My interpretation - the Anglo-Saxons were a pain in the arse to the established romano-British elite, and were just more rich foederati people to those who already lived there.
>>
>>344640
Well obviously a contemporary christian intellectual would take a dim view on the pagan usurpers, taking a first hand source by their word is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>344664

If the original question was "Just how "Germanic"/Anglo-Saxon are the modern English and Lowland Scots today?" then answering with a case study of a guy who lived during the time is better than the rest of the thread.

Rather tell stories than just post haploshit. About 60-70% is native thesedays. There.
>>
>>343520
So what? If they could replace ~50% of male lineages in Britain the migration was obviously huge.
>>
>>344763

Aye, or small and apartheid-like. There's the question.

And "~50% of male lineages " is still up for some debate
>>
>>343520
You haven't contradicted anything I've said.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.