[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So last night I took a larger dose of acid than normal. I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
So last night I took a larger dose of acid than normal. I am now interested in Buddhist philosophy as I believe they're just interpreting the same things I felt last night. Im sure I'll end up being wrong but what books would anyone recommend me to fully understand what the Buddhists teach.
>>
>>341304
mention one of the things you felt please. be specific and descriptive
>>
>>341304
>but what books would anyone recommend me to fully understand what the Buddhists teach.
What meat would anyone recommend me to fully understand being a pig.
>>
>>341304
From one psychonaut to another, many legitimate Buddhist teachings can be a drag and seem counter to what you've experienced.

Do some preliminary reading on Indra's Net, the Gate of Oneness, and some Alan Watts. If you find yourself more interested, delve deep into the Sutras.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 548x1455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 548x1455
The Heart Sutra
The Diamond Sutra
The Lotus Sutra

Read these three and be enlightened.
>>
>>341304
Did Hairdryers and Door hinges trip you out?

They tripped out my dad when he was on acid?
>>
>>341329
>Many legitimate Buddhist teachings can be a drag

You don't say. It's literally a religion about giving up material pleasures and living simply as a monk.

It's not exactly exciting/fun stuff.
>>
>>341370
Lol

.......b-b-b-b-b-BUT MY SPIRITUAL PURITY
>>
>>341387
Who are you making fun of? I'm honestly confused.
>>
>>341398
I'd imagine he's taking about how much westerners fetishize Buddhism, without understanding it.
>>
>>341304
Psyches are all well and fun, but what you experienced isn't quite the same thing.

The state of mind is similar, but its not really comparable.

Go meditate and understand what it is to achieve what any spiritual seekers find after years.
Sometimes its weeks. Sometimes its decades.

If you want an entry level understanding into Buddhist philosophy for the average westerner, go listen to some Allan Watts lectures.

I'm not talking shitty clips from youtube, download a full series and listen to it from start to finish.

If you're still interested, but didn't find it, then go advance your studies in Buddhist philosophy.

Theres a discography collection of all his lectures on Demonoid somewhere.
>>
>dude acid lmao
If you want to take the Buddha's thought seriously, you have to give up taking drugs. This is coming from someone that was quite fond of drugs at one point. One of the most basic tenets of Buddhist morality is abstinence from intoxicants. LSD feels harmless, but it is infatuation with material form, with feeling, perception, volitions, and consciousness.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>341370
You don't have to give up anything.

How many hedonists in funny robes sit around you spouting nonesense?
>>
>trip balls off some rancid shit
>become buddhist

Honestly you just summed up that entire religion.
>>
>>341404
Ok good. Sometimes I'm not sure if people are wanting to start internet shit with me or not.

>>341421
The core of the fucking religion is not wanting. How do you possibly justify recreational drug use with that?
>>
>>341425
Thats your average dreddlocked fucks understanding of buddhism. People who want to wear a philosophy as a fashion.

Nothing to do with actual buddhism.
>>
>just give up sensual desires dude there you will find true happiness lol

The biggest lie
>>
>>341431
Okay i'll indulge you.
How do you force yourself not to want without your reasons for doing so being selfish in of itself?
>>
>>341410
Also I think Alan Watts is a huge chump. You should read an introductory book like "The Foundations of Buddhism" and then read the Nikayas. The Nikayas were what "converted" me. They hold more clearly than any other group of texts the memory of Gotama as a real living person. He discusses with followers of other sects, his arguments are limpid and reasoned, and he does not consider himself above jokes and humor. In no Mahayana sutra etc. are these things true because the sutras were composed much later after he died.
>>
>>341439
You can't, Buddhism is a selfish religion.
>>
>>341438
Uninformed. The Buddha never promised "happiness". He promised an end to causally conditioned reality.
>>
>>341454
You don't have to be apart of it as a "religion" to find any benefit to its teachings.
But in part, you're getting it.
>>
>>341425
No, you're a fedorable arrogant bastard, and he's a retarded hippy.
>>
>>341467
>fedorable

I'm a Christian.
>>
>>341463
True about the "religion" bit. I'm just used to referring to it as such.

I need to read more of it. I've only done really cursory readings for Buddhism. I've been a lot more into Taoism as far as Eastern traditions go.
>>
>>341461
>causally conditioned reality.

what do you mean? as in the mule and the carrot?
>>
>>341487
They all tie in together in a lot of ways, taking preference of eastern philosophies is a good way to get a muted understanding of either.

Understand them both, and compare them with that strengthened understanding, and then it gets pretty interesting.

The history of it all is pretty fascinating, especially its decline in the east, and its rise in the west.
>>
>>341492
"Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas."
In other words, everything you could ever sense, remember, or imagine.
>>
im sorry mr budduh but I like my rock and roll, my bong, my gluttony, my women, my technology, my money, and the whole shebang more than any cave could give me. oh well. let me have my fun in this life. the cave can be my next life, please mr budduh?
>>
>>341425
You are surprised that people drastically change their world view when they find out their sensory experience isn't what they thought it was or were taught by authority?
>>
>>341505
I recognize that. I'm first year student in University and have only just started really digging into philosophy. I'm just struggling to get through all the texts I have to read.
>>
>>341516
wouldn't the logical end to that reality be suicide? what exactly is buddha's response to the ultimate purpose? why go through existence at all?
>>
>>341482
Oh shit, sorry senpai. I read "summed up religion" not "that religion".

Still misinformed tho.
>>
>>341530
Don't worry. Even your professors haven't read most shit.
>>
>>341530
I'm a philosophy dropout because I couldn't stand my course in the slightest.

It became a competition of who could find the most profound quotes, and merely memorizing textbooks.
My delve into philosophy was just for personal fun, because it became odd to me that I could enjoy myself in just sitting around and listening to the chatter in my skull till it faded into a white noise and getting to the core of what I believe and how I got there, and where those ideas came from and who said them before I did.

After all, thoughts aren't exactly original things. If I've thought of it, hundreds of people before me have thought it first, and probably had a more coherent language to explain it.

the only good thing I got out of that class was one or two good friends that I still keep to this day who revel in talking in circles about ideas and having a giggle.
>>
>>341553
I'm not even in Philosophy, I'm a politics student. But I don't even know about that. I'm probably gonna drop out and some point anyway.

>>341548
Sometimes you can tell.

It's just hard not to stress about not being properly informed. I don't like the idea of seeming ignorant about stuff like this.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.