[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linguistics thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1448579119242.png (590 KB, 610x803) Image search: [Google]
1448579119242.png
590 KB, 610x803
linguistics are humanities
discuss linguistics in here

i had an idea. why dont we make english 100% agglutinative (not inflected; that's different)? we can remove redundant root words and organize the dictionary by root word, prefixes, and suffixes. anything to make english more consistent!
>>
>>340998
>english
>consistent
colour me surprised
>>
>>340998
Because I like having lots of words and ways of pronouncing words.

It's fun.
>>
>>341217
fun but not easy for foreigners and kids learning all that shitty spelling
>>
>>341223
I'm fucking dyslexic and I managed it.

Learning any foreign languages is hard, that's not gonna change if we strip some of the culture from our language.

I would never ask any other language to change because I found it too difficult.
>>
>>340998
>english
>getting any kind of reform ever
>>
File: 1352672550909.jpg (44 KB, 356x306) Image search: [Google]
1352672550909.jpg
44 KB, 356x306
>>340998
>tfw I want to make my language as pure, formulaic and complex as possible but society won't let me
>>
>>341223
It doesn't matter when even native english speakers don't know the difference between "their", "there", and "they're", or write "would of".
>>
Rate my phonetic English orthography

î = i
i = J
û = u
u = ʊ
ei = eJ
e = ɛ
o = ɔ
ou = oʊ
y = ə ~ ʌ
æ = æ
a = ɑ

þ = θ/th
ð = ð/th
č = tʃ/ch
ǧ = dʒ/j
š = ʃ/sh
ž = ʒ/zh

Ðy Norþ wind ænd ðy syn wyr dispjûting wich wyz ðy strangyr, wen ei travylyr keim ylang wræpd in ei worm klouk.
Ðei ygrîd ðæt ðy wun huw fyrst syksijdyd in meiking ðy trævylyr teik hiz klouk af šud bî kynsidyrd strangyr ðæn ðy yðyr.
Ðen ðy Norþ Wind bliû æz hard æz hî kud, byt ðy mor hî bliû ðy mor klouslî did ðy trævylyr fold hiz klouk yraund him;
ænd æt læst ðy Norþ Wind geiv yp ðy ytempt. Ðen ðy Syn šaind aut warmlî, ænd imîdîytlî ðy trævylyr tuk af his klouk.
Ænd sou ðy Norþ Wind wyz oubliǧd tiû kynfes ðæt ðy Sun wyz ðy strangyr yv ðy tiû.

The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.
They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.
Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him;
and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveler took off his cloak.
And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.
>>
>>340998
What a doubleplusgood idea.
>>
>>341275
Depending on your definition of pure, move to Germany or China.
>>
>>340998
Inconsistency is the best part of the english language.

English is a difficult language to master, but it's a great language to speak badly.
>>
>>341320
Needs more diacritics
>>
>>341320
>tfw nobody uses þ and ð anymore
>>
>>341375
This. English is a shit language, but that's what makes it so adaptable.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.