[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weapons and History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: templpappenheimerrapier.jpg (60 KB, 900x1236) Image search: [Google]
templpappenheimerrapier.jpg
60 KB, 900x1236
Is /his/ the right place to talk about weapons in? Why did the best sword stop being used after the seventeenth century? Pic related.
>>
>Is /his/ the right place to talk about weapons in?
>Is /pol/ the right place to talk about origami in?
>>>/k/
>>
>>339221
Fuck off I like /k/ (despite the last couple years of constant shitposts making it hard) but historical arms and armor threads there never go well, /his/ actually somewhat knows what they're talking about.

>>339212
They stopped using the rapier really around the mid 1700's due to changing fashion and sabres proving more useful with changing martial scenarios.
>>
>>339221
No its fine to talk about swords here, their manufactoring was a factor in geopolitics. Try to be less of a kek
>>
>>339305
>/his/ actually somewhat knows what they're talking about.

nice joke.

try /tg/ - the stuff I've seen on here is a fucking trainwreck of idiocy.

I'm pretty much at the point of concluding this board is /pol/ mk2, and abandoning it.
>>
>>339212
Cavalry sabres were starting to be more popular, because a lot of people argued that a curved blade was better on horseback.
>>
>>339221
As long as it's connected to history, why the fuck not?
>>
File: serveimage.gif (13 KB, 700x643) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.gif
13 KB, 700x643
>>341686
>Cavalry sabres were starting to be more popular, because a lot of people argued that a curved blade was better on horseback.
Yet cuirassiers commonly used straight backswords types, such as the pallasch or horseman's epee.
>>
>>339400
>concluding this board is /pol/ mk2

Don't be a fucking faggot. /pol/ gets BTFO in their own fucking bait threads here. This board is amazing.
>>
>>339212
You could take this to /k/ but since it's the gun/autism board you wont get far.

I've seen on this board a thread about cool weapons. The penta sword is one of my favs. It's a gauntlet/longsword in one piece. Struggling to find anything about it online altho.
>>
File: kriegsmesser.jpg (524 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
kriegsmesser.jpg
524 KB, 900x658
>>339212
What the fuck you stupid little piece of shit?

A rapier has exactly one use: Fighting an unarmored opponent who also has a rapier. It's not even remotely a battlefield weapon. It is a disadvantage in anything other than that narrowly defined situation. What fuck is wrong with you and why didn't your mother grab the fucking coat hanger when she had the chance?

Now hold it the fuck up. Best sword coming through, you fucking mong.
>pic related
>>
>>343128
>It's not even remotely a battlefield weapon.
Tell that to all the guys who used rapiers on the battlefield. You are 100% wrong.
>>
In answer to your question OP, rapiers fell out of use because they evolved in several different directions.

For a sudden unexpected fight, they were too long to easily draw out of the scabbard. Therefore swords worn as secondary weapons got shorter.

There was no use in having the back edge of the blade sharpened when the handguard prevented that edge from being used, so swords generally became single-edged.

The decorative basket hilt fell out of style in favor of handguards that were either simpler or more protective.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.