[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to put aside ethnic differences and unite to be,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: balkans.jpg (252 KB, 1639x1456) Image search: [Google]
balkans.jpg
252 KB, 1639x1456
Is there a way to put aside ethnic differences and unite to be, you know, an actual functional country instead of tiny little irrevelant shitholes on the balkans and the carphatians?

Is there a country which made this possible besides Belgium, and well maybe the US?
>>
File: President_Woodrow_Wilson.jpg (444 KB, 1751x2245) Image search: [Google]
President_Woodrow_Wilson.jpg
444 KB, 1751x2245
>Is there a way to put aside ethnic differences and unite to be, you know, an actual functional country instead of tiny little irrevelant shitholes

NOT ON MY WATCH
>>
Britain to some extent
USSR
>>
>>338340
Almost every single fucking country in Europe has different ethnic groups working together in some form or fashion.
>>
>>338340
Austro-Hungary had a decent chance, if it gave more rights to minor nations.
>>
>>338367
>mfw seeing the plans for the confederacy

This could had became the the actual EU in time.
>>
>>338340
In terms of one group conquering all their neighbours and forcing them to be one country? Has happened many times.

In terms of all groups co-operating to make the country relevant? Poland, but it wasn't very functional in the long term. India, which seems to be doing relatively okay.
>>
>>338384
That's beautiful. I fucking hate Wilson for even involving us in the war, let alone putting his points forward.
>>
>>338427
>involving us in the war
>thinking Wilson wasn't dragged into the war by Congress, demanding Peace Without Victory upon the allied powers and wanting to create the United Nations
I have never seen a more ignorant post in my entire life, go away eurokek
>>
>>338384
>EU

EU is a loose union of retards. Austria-Hungary would be more like the central European version of the US.
>>
>>338340
No wonder Serbia is pissed, there's a fucking ton of ethnic Serbs living in non-Serbia land
>>
>>338444
And there are fuck ton of not-ethnic serb living on Serbian land.

Maybe starting to genocide each other wasn't the best sollution.
>>
switzerland works
belgium works
russia works (well... it does in this regard anyway)
czechoslovakia worked well enough
>>
>>338457
oh and britain obviously
>>
It can work for a time. But "multicultural" countries (literally, like Austria-Hungary) need to federalize or problems will eventually arise.
>>
>>338457
>>338457

Belgium has some serious issues with regional separatism though.

Russia went through a period of massive
Russification and regional languages aren't respect mostly at all. (depends on the minority)

Swizerland is a good example but i'm pretty sure that's because Swizerland is a pretty comfy place to live and everything is very well for them.
>>
>>338457
>czechoslovakia worked well enough

Well after 1948 anyway, when the slovakisation of the hungarians stopped and they got rid off most of the Germans and Russins.

Before 1948 czechoslovakia was closer to the Astro-Hungarian Monarchy, only 2 ethnicities were respected enough (the chezs and the slovaks obviously).
>>
>>338485
>they got rid of Rusins

Dude what? The Rusins of Subcarpathia were annexed by the USSR and the ones in Slovakia live there to this day.
>>
>>338497
I know that, but the annexatio of Subcarpathia, and the moving of germans came really handy for czechoslovakia, thats all I'm saying.
>>
>>338340
I feel like you haven't listed some examples where it works well (UK, Canada [to an extent], France) BECAUSE it works well. Lack of ethnic conflict is not something often remarked on.
>>
>>338539

UK - Well, UK is a country of Countries, it works recently well because Scots and Welsh are fairly autonomous. Even still Scotland became almost independent.

Canada - Quebeck almost became independent, the vote was like a 1% off.

France - France to an extent did what Italy did during it's unification: Created a strong unified French identity, instead of having separate regional identities. The issue with this is that the culture is so strong that it excludes people who are "outsiders" such as immigrants etc.

I think relative cultural (and most of the times ethnic) harmony can be achieved via federalization. Germany for example has suprisingly strong regional cultures (and quite large income differences between those regions to top it off) but the only real separatists in Germany are some Bavarians.
>>
>>338566

recently? relatively*
>>
>>338485
You know fuck all about Czechoslovakia, you naziboo

Germans, Hungarians and Jews had minority rights like nowhere else in Europe; Czechoslovakia was actual democrasy unike Hitler's Germany, Horthy's Hungary or Pilsudski's Poland; and there were no hyperinflations like in those countries
>>
The biggest problem was religion. If they are too unit, they should all follow rodnovery and ditch Abrahamic religions like Iceland.
>>
>>338778
*tips fyodora*
>>
>>338340
Short answer no long answer... Maybe
Even countries with only some cultural differences end up fucking destroying eachother in bloody war (look at the American civil war for example)
It's hard to force that shit to work desu
>>
>>338384
Disgusting non-country
>>
>>338778
>ditch Abrahamic religions like Iceland
you should realise that there are quite a few religious people there. With like 70% belonging to the Church of Iceland
>>
>>338340
If the Balkans united those tiny, irrelevent shitholes would become one huge irrelevent shithole. Yugoslavia did not work the first time, it would not work again, for more reasons than just ethnic tensions and MUH CULTURE
>>
>>338444
Moving to another person's country and acting like it's your own a few decades later isn't exactly casus belli for a genocide.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.