[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are northern aboriginals (say the Coast Salish) so dark skinned?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 630x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 630x450
Why are northern aboriginals (say the Coast Salish) so dark skinned? Vancouver is the same latitude as Luxembourg, but the indigenous populations look completely different.

I am really curious about the historical reasons for this, was it due to recent population movements? Climate?
>>
i might might sound like a dumb cunt but it can be neanderthals.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Paleoindians

Migrations
>>
>>338122
Neanderthals were only in Europe and near east
>>
>>338108
White skin developed because of agriculture.

Native european abos also had dark skin. But they were shoah'd a long time ago.
>>
>>338163
I think Anonymous may be suggesting the pale features of the euros came from the Neanderthals.

>>338167
I would like to know more about this. If that is true, where did "white people" originate?
>>
>>338108
So, the reason why many populations in northern latitudes evolved light skin is because light skin more easily allows the limited sunlight available to be converted to Vitamin D by the body. People with this trait grew so healthy and strong in comparison to those without that the allele replaced its rivals within a few hundred years of evolving.

No, the reason why this isn't the case in SOME populations is that the only excellent, rich, dependable dietary source of Vitamin D for humans is seafood. So in those populations that lived almost exclusively off of seafood (coastal Native American populations, Siberian coastal people), this allele or a similar allele, if it ever evolved at all, was nothing special, and either died out or remained in a minority of the population.
>>
>>338186
Is this the reason for the japs having darker skin at the same latitude?

This doesn't explain the plains natives though.
>>
>>338169
>I would like to know more about this. If that is true, where did "white people" originate?
White people are a mix of middle eastern migrant farmers and steppe nomads.
>>
File: map_of_skin_color_distribution.gif (18 KB, 527x286) Image search: [Google]
map_of_skin_color_distribution.gif
18 KB, 527x286
Only northern Europeans are really pale, because it's the only part of the world where large numbers of people have lived at such high latitudes for a long time (made possible by the gulf stream). England is at the same latitude as Labrador and Kamchatka!

There is a tendency for native americans towards the equator to get darker. Given enough time (several more tens of thousands of years) they probably would have returned to being fully black.

Interesting to note, the first hominids would have have light skin under fur (like apes). Then, once they lost their fur in Africa, they evolved to have dark skin. Then, when people moved out of Africa (e.g. to East Asia) they got light skin again. Then when some of those people eventually found their way to tropical america they started to develop dark skin once again.
>>
>>338198
The plains natives are on a latitude with Spain and Morocco, lad.
>>
File: Homo_erectus_new.jpg (107 KB, 544x680) Image search: [Google]
Homo_erectus_new.jpg
107 KB, 544x680
>>338211
>apes
>fur

They have hair, with the possible exception of gibbons. However, not all apes have light skin. That's mainly just the common chimpanzee. It's close relative the bonobo has darker skin, as do gorillas. Also, isn't Homo erectus the first human species to evolve dark skin in Africa? The ones in Asia and Europe most likely had lighter skin, because of climate.
>>
File: french cro-magnon.jpg (145 KB, 630x385) Image search: [Google]
french cro-magnon.jpg
145 KB, 630x385
>>338202
What about the early Homo sapiens in Europe, the "Cro-Magnons", that were absorbed into the migrant farmer and steppe nomad populations?
>>
>>338211
>greenish-yellow brown

What humans are that color?
>>
File: euroadmixture.png (92 KB, 787x906) Image search: [Google]
euroadmixture.png
92 KB, 787x906
>>338470
They survive in trace amounts in our genome.
>>
>>338554
>Yamnaya

Turns out those guys are the people who really gave light skin to Europeans. That's interesting.
>>
Wtf are you guys on about? Fairly sure whites have been whites since we originated in Germany. Stop spouting this bluepilled nonsense.
>>
File: 1424394699636.jpg (52 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1424394699636.jpg
52 KB, 750x600
>>338776
Go back to painting in Australia hitler.
>>
>>338554
That's also because Cro Magnons are earlier Homo Sapiens.
>>
>>338554
That's a hell of a lot more than trace amounts.

Before the PIE invasion i believe Europe was full of either Neolithic Hunter gatherers (who were Cro-Magnons?) and shitty tribal farmers along the Med who probably came from Anatolia.
>>
>>338859
It was mostly Neolithic farmers and SOME populations of hunter-gatherers. Interesting fact, by the way: these populations survived up to very recent times. There were still people in Northern Scandinavia genetically, linguistically and culturally descended straight from Ice Age Europe populations by 300 - 800 AD, as shown by genetics of Saami and a non-Uralic substrate in their language.
>>
>>338903
They survive in all of our genetics. We still are them. In a lot of places IE genes only make up some 40%.

Europeans are mixed race from the start, take that polfags.
>>
How come neanderthals never developed a writing system?
>>
>>339200
Inventing things just for the hell of it is a recent, mostly modern invention. For most of our history, when people didn't need to invent something, they didn't. Writing fits because Neanderthals didn't need to develop it for administrative purposes.
>>
The amount of vitamin D in a hunter-gatherer diet is sufficient. When people start farming, they need the vitamin D from sunshine to survive.

Non-farming populations retain dark skin in higher latitudes because they have no reason to lose it.
>>
File: 5uFa8Q9.jpg (351 KB, 2193x1841) Image search: [Google]
5uFa8Q9.jpg
351 KB, 2193x1841
>>338211
>Only northern Europeans are really pale

How about no
>>
>>338554
>tuscan

So those damn etruscans really were indigenous pre indoeuropean europeans?
>>
>>338211
>only northern Europeans
>the "pale" part of your map includes everything from France to Russia
>>
>>339019
Racial borders are arbitrary anyway. Get that into your head, /lit/. Doesn't mean some populations/races aren't dumber on average.

>>339903
Shut up weeb. You've probably never been to Korea
>>
>>338470
that can't be a cro-magnon woman, i bought ketamine off her once
>>
File: iMO7lNEMdTosz.jpg (2 MB, 1707x2560) Image search: [Google]
iMO7lNEMdTosz.jpg
2 MB, 1707x2560
>>340004
>Shut up weeb. You've probably never been to Korea

Actually you've never been to Korea.

Real life Koreans also have very pale skin.
>>
File: 1448411963198.png (56 KB, 1288x660) Image search: [Google]
1448411963198.png
56 KB, 1288x660
>>338211
Your map is retarded. And also has fucked up projection.
>>
>>340019
I've lives there for a year and they have the same skin as northern Chinese people. All their cremes are full of skin bleaching ingredients though.
>>
>>339019
I think every single race has different extinct races that make each other up, and if they don't, modern races.
>>
>>340019
Mongolians are paler than Koreans, and so are those native Asian Siberians.
>>
>>338470
She honestly looks Algerian to me. Which is irony at its finest.
>>
>>340025
>Ethiopia

B-But I thought they were Cau-

Wait. What am I doing? I can't shitpost about Ethiopians, they're a diverse people. Plus, it's the birthplace of Homo sapiens. I'm sorry /his/...
>>
>>339903
If they were exposed to the sun for 10 minutes they'd turn 5 shades darker. You have no idea the lengths Korean women go to NEVER have the sun shine upon them for this reason.
>>
>>341360
...a lot of them also bleach their skin I should add. It's obviously when you look at kids in Korea, or old people, who don't give a fuck and look natural.
>>
>>341360
I'm a Korean adoptee I can go from kind of alpine/outdoorsy slavic kind of pale in the winter to dark as a Filipino shut-in in the summer
>>
>>338167
You are an idiot, dark skinned get vitamin D deficiencies in northern europe, it is as simple as survival of the most well adapted, which happened to be the palest for europe.
>>
>>341536
also I can look Vietnamese or dark as a Mexican if I put the effort
>>
>>340019
>Real life Koreans also have very pale skin.
Yeah, because the average Korean spends about as much time outside during the day as the average /jp/ poster does. And on top of that, Korean women go to pains to avoid direct sunlight (hence all the parasols) and often use lightening products because - just like every-fucking-where else in east asia - being tanned is associated with being poor and/or rural.
>>
>>338108

Coast Salish natives are total bros.

I got attacked outside a bar a few years back by a bunch of drunk fresh off the boats. Broke my jaw and hand. Next thing I knew a bunch of these guys just swarmed over these assholes. One stood over me to make sure the paki motherfuckers stayed away. he took a decent beating, but the rest of them subdued them.

I hope that would be the same for other First Nations people, but judging from my interactions with other groups, they'd be more then happy to let the white guy get his face kicked in.
>>
>>341736
>I hope that would be the same for other First Nations people, but judging from my interactions with other groups, they'd be more then happy to let the white guy get his face kicked in.

When they're sober enough to walk.
>>
>>341736
shitskins aren't used to/can't tolerate alcohol
>>
I would say the skin tone of the Coast Salish is akin to the Ainu. It looks like a population from the south that is only trying to adapt to a more northernly climate. Europeans look like they fully completed the transition
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 640x407) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 640x407
>>
>>340025
>siberians
>samis
>white
Shit map desu
>>
>>338169
Pale skin developed very recently actually, if I'm not mistaken it was around 20,000 years ago. Funnily enough, all people with blue eyes can trace their ancestry to a single individual that lived somewhere in the batic region I think.
>>
>>341536
Koreans look fine when they tan. But every young Korean woman (the kind I'd otherwise be interested in) here in Korea is GHOSTLY white; combination of extreme sun aversion, bleaching, and white makeup plastered all over their faces. It's absolutely revolting: they all look on the verge of death sickly.

In Japan, where I assume people are genetically pretty similar, the women look INFINITELY more attractive simply by looking natural.
>>
>>341680
Vitamin D definciency is a big problem here in Korea among young women because of >>343365

They routinely come down with osteoporosis in their 20s.
>>
>>340025
this map is infinitely worse baka desu kek
>>
>>338211
Looks right to me.

p.s. the 'colours' aren't meant to mirror actual skin tone.

p.p.s. Europeans and East Asia are actually, at a genetic level, 'white' in complete different ways. They each evolved pale skin independently, and with different mutations to accomplish it. Hence the qualitative difference between their skin tones, even if they are equally 'pale' in a general sense.
>>
>>341828
20,000 years ago in Asians maybe, but Caucasians have it more recently.
>>
File: Hairy_Ainu_man_Mongoloid.png (719 KB, 695x825) Image search: [Google]
Hairy_Ainu_man_Mongoloid.png
719 KB, 695x825
>>341801
Aren't the Ainu pretty much pale Aborigines?

>Big brows
>hairy
>broad nose
>>
>>343365
>>343365
A lot of koreans have Southeast Asian genes. They can be naturally darker than other people in the same latitude generally because a lot of them came from Southern China only recently and then some of them went off to colonize Japan
>>
>>341821
>implying they're not
>>
>>341828
The Neanderthals were white, and they lived ~130,000 years ago.

White skin has high selective pressures in northern climates where it aids the uptake of Vitamin D in a low UV environment.
>>
>>345186
Sorry, I meant:

White skin didn't appear until the modern human brain was fully developed as it is a side effect of having a high IQ and being at the apex of human evolution.
>>
>>345168
>A lot of koreans have Southeast Asian genes
>a lot of them came from Southern China only recently

I call bullshit. Why the fuck would some Cantonese dude want to go to Korea back then? Even if it was for trade, there wouldn't be a mass migration a la 1800's migration to West Coast America.
>>
>>345218
Are you saying Europeans 1500 years ago were a lot darker than today and were basically blue-eyed nonwhite shitskins?
>>
File: EAsiaNeolithic.png (59 KB, 397x332) Image search: [Google]
EAsiaNeolithic.png
59 KB, 397x332
>>345233
>>
File: EAsiaMetal.png (70 KB, 464x332) Image search: [Google]
EAsiaMetal.png
70 KB, 464x332
>>345233

It was 1000s of years back
>>
>>345253
Sorry, anon, what conclusions are you drawing from this map? Manchuria is not Korea, unless you're some retarded nationalist.
>>
>>345263
There was a southern to northern migration of people from southern/central china to northeast asia

probably corresponding the expansion of rice farmers
>>
>>345240
No, the modern white race evolved from H. heidelbergensis which also split into darkies, chinks, and redskins 100,000 years ago. Since then white people have been blessing humanity with the gifts and glory of civilization.
>>
>>345218
>>345948
Nice bait.

>gifts and glory of civilization

Yes, and among other things, many of which aren't too positive. If I say the worst one, I'll be called a fedora tipper.
>>
File: is this bait.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
is this bait.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>345218
>>345948
>not sure if bait
>>
>>341821
Just tan really well.
>>
>>345959
>>345973
It's not bait, it's satire.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.