[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of Confucius? Guy was to East Asia what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Confucius.jpg (163 KB, 377x398) Image search: [Google]
Confucius.jpg
163 KB, 377x398
What does /his/ think of Confucius?

Guy was to East Asia what Socrates/Plato/Aristotle was to the West but do you agree with his philosophies?
>>
>>337926
>inb4 Class freeze. LE HIVEMIND, anti-learning posts.
>>
>mountains = tall
>emperor = far away
>>
>>337926
He seemed like an alright guy. When I read the analects his morals seemed a bit more flexible and less authoritarian than I was expecting, but I guess before that I'd mostly just heard daoists talking shit.

Mozi best zi tho
>>
Platonic Mystery Confucianism is the best
>>
>>337926
>Depicted as a scholarly guy
>Bread & Butter is teaching archery and charioteering.
>>
>>337926
The idea of being a scholar-gentleman and serving not yourself, your love, your loyalty, but the idea of a perfect state (even if Confucius did mythologize this 'perfect state' in the same way people nostalgia for 50s America) and yet maintaining humility and deference is pretty damn respectable, IMO.

But Confucianism also doesn't give much room for correcting the issues that are inevitably going to occur even if that 'perfect state' emerges; China's history, as defined by the Chinese themselves, is cyclic. Dynasties rise and fall. So the Confucians, aside from breeding diligence and conservatism into the Chinese people, didn't really help anything.

Taosim is my Chinese philosophy of choice. It espouses the same humility of Confucianism and yet stresses that things that feel or seem wrong have to be acted against, as that's the natural order and should be acted in accordance with.
>>
File: Chinese Chariot.jpg (26 KB, 505x386) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Chariot.jpg
26 KB, 505x386
>>337975
He lived during Feudal China, before the Empire.

Back then China had nobility whose job - in battle- is to show up with their chariots and act as battlefield mobile archers & APC units.

Confucius wanted to teach nobles and so the best way to do that was teach those two.
>>
>>337976
>even if Confucius did mythologize this 'perfect state' in the same way people nostalgia for 50s America

yeah they are pretty similar aren't they?
>>
>>338002
It's a trend you can see across the entirety of the world. People talk up the old days because they either weren't actually there, or are too senile by then to remember how they really were.

Same shit happened with early Modern Europe thinking medieval Europe was the best, and fuck, ISIS does it now with the Caliphate.
>>
>>338023
and 1950s America was all about the 20s and 1890s

20s and 1890s was all about the wild west

Even some of the founding fathers were waxing nostalgia about being British
>>
>>338023
I thought that the Early Modern Europeans thought the exact opposite of the Middle Ages
>>
>>338082
They were, but they still celebrated knighthood, chivalry, crusades, King Arthur, all that fun stuff even if they were born as a result of its end in favor of centralized authority, gunpowder, and overall pragmatism.
>>
>>337974
Yikes, that sounds cool. Sauce?
>>
>>338082
Hegel mythologized Greece.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.