[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here taught themselves Latin? What resources did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Has anyone here taught themselves Latin?

What resources did you use? Where did you start?
>>
Caecillius est in horto.
>>
>>33654
cambridge is probably the best beginner's book.
>>
File: M6EIfLn.jpg (50 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
M6EIfLn.jpg
50 KB, 600x800
>>33654

ty
>>
>>33646
>Has anyone here taught themselves Latin?
Don't you have latin classes in high school ?
>>
>>34203
>don't you have latin classes in high scool?

This. I had to learn Latin in school and in recent years had to help my children through school Latin too.
>>
>>34203

No.

And besides, I graduated in 2013.
>>
>>34203
Where do people get taught Latin in high school?
>>
Mostly wealthy suburban ones.
>>
>>36766
Latin was mandatory for me in high school, but I live in romania so yeah
>>
>>36766
in italy, we even study latin literature, in latin
>>
>>36766
Im american and i took a semester in highschool. switched to spanish though because my latin teacher was shit
>>
>>36766
french middle school and high school
>>
>>33654
Cambridge is the best. I had Latin classes in high school, but the teacher just told us to do the translations and questions. Didn't teach a single thing to us, but I'm not half bad from being essentially self taught.
>>
High school, as I expect most people in Western Europe would.

I didn't learn it with this, but I can not recommend it enough for those wanting to learn:

http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Illustrata-Pars-Familia/dp/1585104205
>>
>>33646
Ecce Romani.
>>
>>33728
Lia is fine nigga
>>
>>34203
In Midwest America, Spanish is the only language taught for a lot of schools.
>>
>>33654
tu es stultior quam asinus
>>
>>34203
Populi novi mundi barbari sunt; quia non latina et ne graecum quidem discunt. Quoque alii linguae illīs puerīs rare docent.
>>
Quis ex vobis latine loqui potest?
>>
>>36766
In Germany you get to choose wether to take French or Latin in most "States" (called "Bundesländer" meaning "federal countries", the state is the federal government so the nomenclatur is reversed here). I don't know if some states still have "Old language highschools", like some used to, where you have latin and old greek and stuff like that.
>>
I attend the Traditional Latin Mass and I am an altar server, so I had to memorize all the prayers and responses in Latin. I've attended it all my life so I picked up a lot of words and phrases from the Mass, Gregorian Chant, and older Catholic books.
>>
We were taught Latin in school, but no, I don't speak it.
>>
I recommend the book "Lingua Latina per se Illustrata" for beginners.

It's written entirely in Latin, but it is easy in the beginning and teaches you as you get along the book.
>>
Here you go OP, I posed the same question on /lit/ a while back and got a boatload of information, I think it would really help you!

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/6995150
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.