[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one that hates it when they construct modern style
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 20
File: abomination 2.jpg (26 KB, 233x350) Image search: [Google]
abomination 2.jpg
26 KB, 233x350
Am I the only one that hates it when they construct modern style buldings in a historic district?

What country or city has the best old or classic architecture?

In what countries am I the least likely to find abominations like pic related?

Is this for example more common in Germany (which was badly bombed) than in France?
>>
>>334650

You don't like the penis tower?
>>
>>334687
do you like it?
>>
>>334703

Well, it makes me and my dad laugh.
>>
>>334650
>Am I the only one that hates it when they construct modern style buldings in a historic district?

It's [CURRENT YEAR] anon, get with the times ;^)
>>
>>334650
The gherkin is 41 storeys with almost 50 square kilometres of floor space.

Basically: how much do you value the green belt?
>>
File: 4152967191_d3a647e9d0.jpg (144 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4152967191_d3a647e9d0.jpg
144 KB, 500x375
Sometimes I wonder if people are doing it on purpose or simply have terrible taste. Leaning towards the latter.

Pic related is the headquarters of the Architects Association in Bucharest. True architectural jewel.
>>
File: uniunea_arhitectilor3.jpg (100 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
uniunea_arhitectilor3.jpg
100 KB, 600x450
>>336996
>>
>>334650
I do. I also hate modern style buildings in general, though some can be good looking or at least funny to have.

Here in Barcelona we have a giant dildo building too, and I like it as a source for memes. I would hate it if it was in the gothic area though.
>>
File: 1_goldenturd_0.jpg (82 KB, 624x416) Image search: [Google]
1_goldenturd_0.jpg
82 KB, 624x416
>>337011
Your giant dildo reminded me of the golden Asahi poop in Japan.
>>
File: 1419778900186q.jpg (892 KB, 1164x1432) Image search: [Google]
1419778900186q.jpg
892 KB, 1164x1432
>>334650
London is an insult to both architecture and history to be honest
>>
>>334650
Respect the Eggplant son.
>>
>>336996
I truly detest modern architecture, but this style is a huge exception for me. I love these older buildings that serve as the base for new towers. It's like the glorious future is rising out of the glorious past.
>>
>>337132
You mean shitty plain future trampling glorious past.
>>
File: novotel.jpg (287 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
novotel.jpg
287 KB, 800x600
>>337132
How do you feel about this one? Built on the place of the former theatre, the facade mimcs the architecture of the old building.

May look good in photos, I don't know, but looks fake as hell in reality.
>>
File: novotel_bucharest.jpg (140 KB, 800x419) Image search: [Google]
novotel_bucharest.jpg
140 KB, 800x419
>>337158
>>
>>334650
Italy
>>
worse than brutalism desu
>>
File: csav building.jpg (227 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
csav building.jpg
227 KB, 1000x667
>>337132
Look at this. In the night you cant see the glass section
>>
I cant remember seeing a huge number of modern buildings on top of old ones in krakow, although there might have been near the big transport hub/ shopping centre thing
>>
What's worse, crappy modern buildings in the historic center or walls covered in grafitti and dirty posters in the historic center?
>>
>>337207
Grafitti in historic buildings by far.
>>
>>337150
It's 2015, anon. ;^)

>>337158
Looks fake as hell from here, too.

>>337187
Absolutely brilliant. Probably the finest example of what I'm talking about here.
>>
>>337187
Looks like a vaporwave album cover
>>
>>337207
I once saw a tv program where a french "artist" plastered cement on old buildings in Madrid and then made Graffiti on them.

They also showed other degenerates doing similar things like glueing paper to statues and things like that but the french guy is the one that shocked me the most.
>>
>>334650
>Am I the only one that hates it when they construct modern style buldings in a historic district?

Round my parts, we have laws concerning such things.

>move to historic district
>have to petition to paint the house
>curtains have to be the right color
>forget about an addition
>can't even change the plumbing

None of those monstrosities in my neighborhood.
>>
>>334650
A lot of artists signed a petition to get the Eiffel tower taken down when it was first constructed, because it didn't suit other shit in Paris like the Invalides/Notre Dame
>>
>>337656
Is this what they call modern art? Maybe I'm old fashioned or whatever, but I can't understand how scribbling on walls is considered 'art' nowadays. Our capital is plagued by grafitti and deformed statues everywhere, it's disgusting.

>>337677
Where do you live?
>>
>>336996
>Leaning towards the latter.

You shouldn't; it's the former.
https://vimeo.com/112655231
>>
File: Just fuck my view up fam.jpg (339 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Just fuck my view up fam.jpg
339 KB, 1200x800
>>337097
oh really
>>
File: ROM-httpstuffaverylikes.com_[1].jpg (114 KB, 625x398) Image search: [Google]
ROM-httpstuffaverylikes.com_[1].jpg
114 KB, 625x398
One of the worst offenders where I live...
>>
>>334650

No, you aren't, and I'm sure wherever you live there are historical preservation societies where you can find like-minded people.
>>
File: lucrare_122206574715716_max.jpg (211 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
lucrare_122206574715716_max.jpg
211 KB, 1000x665
>>337876
JUST
>>
File: municipales-2014-nantes[1].jpg (372 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
municipales-2014-nantes[1].jpg
372 KB, 1024x768
>>337931
I think we all have to learn this mistake the hard way. There is never two of them, just one.
>>
>>334650

Frog here.

>In what countries am I the least likely to find abominations like pic related?

Obviously Paris with the eiffel tower.
Here is an open letter by famous artists and writers, I couldn't find any translation but you can always use google.

Part 1/2

14 février 1887

Nous venons, écrivains, peintres, sculpteurs, architectes, amateurs passionnés de la beauté, jusqu’ici intacte, de Paris, protester de toutes nos forces, de toute notre indignation, au nom du goût français méconnu, au nom de l’art et de l’histoire français menacés, contre l’érection, en plein cœur de notre capitale, de l’inutile et monstrueuse Tour Eiffel, que la malignité publique, souvent empreinte de bon sens et d’esprit de justice, a déjà baptisée du nom de « Tour de Babel ».

Sans tomber dans l’exaltation du chauvinisme, nous avons le droit de proclamer bien haut que Paris est la ville sans rivale dans le monde. Au-dessus de ses rues, de ses boulevards élargis, du milieu de ses magnifiques promenades, surgissent les plus nobles monuments que le genre humain ait enfantés. L’âme de la France, créatrice de chefs-d’œuvre, resplendit parmi cette floraison auguste de pierres. L’Italie, l’Allemagne, les Flandres, si fières à juste titre de leur héritage artistique, ne possèdent rien qui soit comparable au nôtre, et de tous les coins de l’univers Paris attire les curiosités et les admirations.

Allons-nous donc laisser profaner tout cela ? La ville de Paris va-t-elle donc s’associer plus longtemps aux baroques, aux mercantiles imaginations d’un constructeur de machines, pour s’enlaidir irréparablement et se déshonorer ?
>>
Part 2/2

Car la Tour Eiffel, dont la commerciale Amérique elle-même ne voudrait pas, c’est, n’en doutez point, le déshonneur de Paris. Chacun le sent, chacun le dit, chacun s’en afflige profondément, et nous ne sommes qu’un faible écho de l’opinion universelle, si légitimement alarmée. Enfin lorsque les étrangers viendront visiter notre Exposition, ils s’écrieront, étonnés : « Quoi ? C’est cette horreur que les Français ont trouvée pour nous donner une idée de leur goût si fort vanté ? » Et ils auront raison de se moquer de nous, parce que le Paris des gothiques sublimes, le Paris de Jean Goujon, de Germain Pilon, de Puget, de Rude, de Barye, etc., sera devenu le Paris de M. Eiffel.

II suffit d’ailleurs, pour se rendre compte de ce que nous avançons, de se figurer un instant une tour vertigineusement ridicule, dominant Paris, ainsi qu’une gigantesque cheminée d’usine, écrasant de sa masse barbare Notre-Dame, la Sainte-Chapelle, le dôme des Invalides, l’Arc de triomphe, tous nos monuments humiliés, toutes nos architectures rapetissées, qui disparaîtront dans ce rêve stupéfiant. Et pendant vingt ans, nous verrons s’allonger sur la ville entière, frémissante encore du génie de tant de siècles, nous verrons s’allonger comme une tache d’encre l’ombre odieuse de l’odieuse colonne de tôle boulonnée…

C’est à vous, Monsieur et cher compatriote, à vous qui aimez tant Paris, qui l’avez embelli, qu’appartient l’honneur de la défendre une fois de plus. Et si notre cri d’alarme n’est pas entendu, si nos raisonnements ne sont pas écoutés, si Paris s’obstine dans l’idée de déshonorer Paris, nous aurons, du moins, vous et nous, fait entendre une protestation qui honore.

Signataires : Meissonnier, Gounod, Garnier, Sardou, Boullat, Coppée, Leconte de Lisle, Sully-Prud’homme, Huysmans, Maupassant, Zola,…
>>
File: Lyon_vue_depuis_fourviere[1].jpg (1 MB, 1900x1046) Image search: [Google]
Lyon_vue_depuis_fourviere[1].jpg
1 MB, 1900x1046
>>337949
Another.
>>
>>337949
It never fails to look like someone waving his dick around.
>>
File: panorama-piata-revolutiei.jpg (544 KB, 2867x600) Image search: [Google]
panorama-piata-revolutiei.jpg
544 KB, 2867x600
>'monument' dedicated to the revolution looks like an impaled potato
>the whole square is filled with shitty 'modern art'
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (74 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
74 KB, 630x473
It's just like my video games!
>>
File: image.jpg (338 KB, 725x910) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
338 KB, 725x910
Boston.
Oldest city in America!
>>
>>338011
But back then, it was painted in horrible colors, like bright red.
>>
>>338110
What a pointless image. Every city in Europe is the bottom.
>>
>>338008
>>338011
>Obviously Paris with the eiffel tower.
Are you being ironic? I don't particularly like the Eiffel tower, but at least it's unique and iconic unlike these ugly glass boxes.

I can certainly understand why artists would be against its construction, it is like a slippery slope, you start allowing one of them and over time you end up with something like this >>337097
>>
>>338176
Not him but the Eiffel tower was viewed by its contemporaries the same way we view ugly glass and steel shit: as barbarism.
>>
>>336996
I was in Bucharest this year. Nice city but it got completely ruined by gommies. The old buildings were lovely.
>>
>>338220
And it's now viewed as fine because no other contructions like that followed
Mainwhile, ugly skyscapers are still proliferating in London
>>
File: Buzesti street.jpg (327 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
Buzesti street.jpg
327 KB, 1024x682
>>338253
What's worse is that authorities and people who got their buildings back from the state don't care. They either let them fall to pieces because demolishing is forbidden or 'renovate' them by removing everything that was beautiful and unique about them. Urban planning might as well be a Fata Morgana.
>>
>>338220
>>338277
It became a meme. People with taste still don't like it, they are just glad it stopped there.
>>
>>337097
amazingly selective pictures you chose there. Don't think I cant see your glass monstrosities over there in the distance.
>>
>>338333
That's where they belong
>>
>>337677
>>337777
Sounds like the netherlands
>>
>>338018
One from my town.
>>
File: 29576.jpg (41 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
29576.jpg
41 KB, 600x800
>>338176

Poster of the letter here.
I think the Eiffel tower is a symbol that represents a gap between two times, two philosophies, our own and the past one, the one before the end of the second wave of industrialization. It's hard too see it as a bad thing but with enough perspective you may think otherwise.
>>
>>337166
At least brutalism is not covered with glass
>>
File: latest[1].png (65 KB, 312x224) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
65 KB, 312x224
>>338081
>>
Yeah, and I'm sure the buildings that got torn down to build the old ones you're talking about where hemmed and hawed about too.

>>337908
Hey, I like the Crystal.

At least from the outside. Inside... not so much.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.