[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We post grandpa stories about WWII (If your family did something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: NUUCLEAR.jpg (36 KB, 720x408) Image search: [Google]
NUUCLEAR.jpg
36 KB, 720x408
ITT: We post grandpa stories about WWII (If your family did something in WWII, tell us who he was and what he did)
>>
Underage Algerian scout for the French with the rest of his shota buddies desu
>>
File: 1326440956552.png (78 KB, 1122x629) Image search: [Google]
1326440956552.png
78 KB, 1122x629
Obligatory.
>>
Great-grandfather fought in eastern ukraine. Hated both the Russian and the German but was forced as he was "saved" by the soviets. Killed 4 people without mercy and was honorable discharged when shrapnel fucked his arm up. Him and a couple buddies made their way to the Allied side from a polish soviet hospital and made their way to britain then canada.
>>
He was in a neutral country but there were bread shortages every now and then and he resented it.
>>
Great-Uncle died in the Ardennes Offensive. Don't know much more than that his body wasn't found.
>>
My father's father was at Iwo Jima. One day he was driving a truck full of ammo and stuff down some jungle-laden dirt path and felt one of the wheels wobbling. He hops out to check, bends down by the back right wheel, and notices his rear axle is resting right on top of the pin of a land mine. He just left the truck there and walked away.
>>
File: _1377583252.jpg (26 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
_1377583252.jpg
26 KB, 600x350
>>331424
I want to imagine that he survived, waking up under one of his dead comrades. Covered in mud, the man stepped out of hell , inch by inch, till he was nothing but a dead wolf, wondering around wastelands. Then the storm erupted from the sky, and he was washed away, a new man, a new shiny creature emerged. He was nowhere to be found, nowhere to be seen, but I knew, and you knew , that he was there, watching over you, son.
>>
Not World War 2 but during the Vietnam era my dad's draft number came up, so before going into the office he ate a whole pack of cigarettes so his heart rate would be super high and they'd think he had some kind of medical condition. He gets to the office and they tell him after a physical exam that he's 4F because he's super fat and shit anyway. Surely my stupid father would've been killed in Vietnam. 2 times I came pretty close to not existing.
>>
>be my grandmother
>refugee from Palermo bombed by allies to southern coast
>actually see in person the beginning of Operation Husky
>be in a shelter for two days
>people can't go outside, shit literally everywhere, nothing to eat, despair
>my grandm and her sister want to go out
>people beg them not to, but are too much exhausted to actually keep them in
>bombs are over
>they meet the first american soldiers landed in sicily
>the majority of them were of sicilian heritage
>they were sexually approaching my aunt, 14 years old now.

tldr; My grandmother and her sisters experienced what Syrian and Iraqi people are experiencing now
>>
>>331467
>(14 years old THEN, not now kek)
>>
>>331177
My grandpa served in Nam.

His unit was in the area when Agent Orange got sprayed everywhere.

Him, and every other man in his unit died of cancer later in their lives. My family literally has ZERO history of cancer except for him and his agent orange induced lung cancer.
>>
grandfather 1: British, Tonks, North Africa and Italy, literally avoided death by pulling the short straw and having to sleep in a barn instead of the tank, which was destroyed by the morning

Grandfather 2: Austrian, Wehrmacht, fought in the East 1941-1944 got 2 medals, one relating to the Crimea, deserted and hid out with friends in modern Czech Republic when he was given leave in 1944
>>
File: auldwilly.jpg (25 KB, 311x395) Image search: [Google]
auldwilly.jpg
25 KB, 311x395
I only got a WW1 story, hope it's relevant anyways.

>Willy Shearer, mum's side of the family
>Being a general based Irish Riflefag
>He and others wind up captured
>He escapes and makes it back to friendlies alone
>Tells them where prisoners are and joins them in an assault to free them
>Dies in an explosion on the way back to save his mates

Cry every time. Have all his medals and shit downstairs.
>>
File: 1384814257776.png (162 KB, 543x600) Image search: [Google]
1384814257776.png
162 KB, 543x600
Only got one relative i really know of who fought

>Paternal Great grand-uncle
>Fought in france in WW1
> Survived the war, came home a changed man
> Lived in a 3 storey house with his wife, my great grandparents + my grandparents
> His room was on the top floor
> Everyone else is downstairs eating dinner
>see Khaki blur fly past the window
> Great grand-uncle had went to his room, shined his boots, put on his old uniform and threw himself out of his bedroom window
>tfw he survived the entire war to kill himself a few years after it finished, completely out of the blue without saying a word.
>>
>>331439
And...
>>
>>331689
And...if he had stopped the truck and inch further along he would've been killed? I dunno kinda interesting to see your own existence hanging on pure circumstance like that
>>
>>331444
I'm going to write a god damn book about it

Just because you got trips
>>
>>331330
Based canucks. Best ally. Love u tophat.
>>
My grandparents were in Peru but they told me that they knew a German family that was scouting Latin America for some reason and when the Germans lost they fled and left behind a son. He went to school with my mom and llater committed suicide.
>>
I don't know about the actual people, but Finnish war stories (against Russia) coming through:

Related person on paternal side of family.
>Sent away at young age split from family/love.
>Wrote diary.
>Was successful through a lot of stuff.
>Know next mission is an impossible win.
>Write some last pages, leave the diary at the last outpost. A poem to his love and a goodbye to his friends/family.
>Dies in battle.

A war hero relative (paternal):
>Hides in trenches.
>Total chaos.
>Sees two people sneak into some important dude's bunker.
>Goes in there, kills both with a handgun.
>Rewarded with medal for courage or some shit.
>Have nightmares for the rest of his life and wish he had died there.

War story, don't know if true or fiction:
>Two dudes become friends.
>One is shot under heavy fire in the middle of some plain or whatever.
>Other dude runs to save him.
>The heroic dude is shot multiple times, carries through until medical tent.
>Arrives at medical tent.
>Friend is dead.
>Heroic dude dies after receiving the news.

Grandma post-war story:
>Young grandma going to elementary school.
>Finland wants to pay back their debt.
>Hard times.
>Grandma and her mother goes after their school/work to build trains or whatever to Russians or something.
>Successfully paid back enough trains pretty fast, from voluntary (?) work.

Inb4:
>What does the diary say?
I don't know, I cannot speak Finnish.
>Shit stories mate.
I know, I only say what I've heard.
>Why don't you know the people?
These are like three-four generations back and too hard to remember. I don't know Finnish and honestly I don't even know my grandma's (maternal) name.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.