[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can you tell me about the templars. Are they an ancient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15
File: tumblr_nb2ov0RbdK1r92jtlo1_500.jpg (298 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nb2ov0RbdK1r92jtlo1_500.jpg
298 KB, 500x750
What can you tell me about the templars.

Are they an ancient yet misteryous organization that tries to control the world?

Pic. Related, a character from one videogame where the templars recruit him to fight on the seven years war.
>>
>>330329
hmm not sure if troll. but no OP, the templars historically were a crusading order. that is, it was an organization of elite warriors funded by european monarchs to defend the holy land.
>>
the costuming in these games pisses me the fuck off. Why does everything have to have modern 'cool' design sensibilities. It never feels natural, it always just looks like the character is cosplaying in the time period, and the only way they managed to counteract them standing out like a sore thumb is by exaggerating the other character designs in a similar fashion.
>>
>>330329
No.
Crusader order founded to protect pilgrim travel routes turned international bankers (for the sake of protecting pilgrim wealth), who were outlawed in France due to jealousy.

>>330369
Whatevs bro. The games are historically rubbish anyway. Why not have nice costuming?
>>
>>330422
>due to jealousy
lack of legitimacy*
Templars failed to fulfill their task.
They simply went back in Europe after losing the Holy Land continued to exploit the lands given to support the crusades.
They were proto-bankers and Philip IV king simply claimed his due.
>>
No. They did some similar things, such as banking and mercenary work, but they weren't really world powerful. It was a small band of a few thousand bankers and maybe 500-1,000 heavy cavalry.
>>
>>330329
A bunch of French dudes who became rich by pillaging the Levant but ended up buttfucked by the French king who wanted their gold
>>
French Crusader order that became very rich and powerful until it was eradicated by king Philip the Fair in 1315 or so.

I heard the Freemasons may have been started by ex Templars as a successor, don't know if there's any evidence for that though.
>>
>>330442
>Philip IV claimed his due
Out the pot into which countless peasants and nobles had invested to protect trade in the near East which was one of the only sources of gold. It was literally indefinsible under Papal law.
>>
>>330369
i feel exactly the same way. they look like autists more and more with a ridiculous amount of gear, that fucking hood and the way they make the assassins bigger than everyone else
>>
>>330511
>Papal law

lel, you mean the Papacy that Philip had moved to Avignon and that was completely dominated by France?
>>
>>330511
The templars weren't protecting anything at this time except their commanderies.
If they still had the support of the people their arrest wouldn't have gone so well.

>>330557
It was a few years after that.
>>
>>330329
The Templars are mainly responsible for the raid against Ottomans OS is his culture, SUCH bullshit Ubisoft and good , but ONLY IN screens .
>>
>>330565
>It was a few years after that.
I meant the trial occured before the papacy moved to Avignon, it was under Clement V.
>>
>>330329
>Are they an ancient yet misteryous organization that tries to control the world?

Just for your info:

The first crusaders were a ragtag group of exhalted european, mostly french, nobles who thought their miserable unorganised mess of an "army" could stand a chance against some actual empire of people who couldn't give less of a fuck against them and got BTFO extremely hard, it was called the Paupers' Crusade for a very good reason.

Then, due to the severe anal prolapse they decided to actually plan that shit out and use a functional army of power hungry nobles, homolust and general degeneracy ensued but at least they were able to seize some valuable territory for themselves even though they looked like total dicks to anyone but theirselves and maybe the Church.

After that the Church and various european guvments noticed that they were a bit fucked in the head after seeing weird statues in their temples and hearing about homolust something something heresy something something and decided to purge them thus concluding the Crusades in a particularly hilarious and kinda pathetic way.

Now stop laying shitty QTE simulators and study your history son.
>>
>>330565
Papacy move to Avignon: 1309
Templars disbanded: 1312
>>
>>330580
>>330594

I can't believe Ubisoft never made a game set in France during that time with locations like Paris and Avignon, it's interesting as fuck and perfect for their story.
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (51 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
interdasting.jpg
51 KB, 685x567
>>330585
>
>>
>>330614
French history isnt mainstream enough to get the US market
Why do you think their last AC games have been obsessed with British history (ACIII, AC IV, AC Rouge, AC Syndicate..)?

British history is overrated and objectively not better than French one, but it interest Americans more since they view Brits as their ancestors/former enemies.
>>
>>330648
Herm but I think there is a AC game in Paris, no ?
>>
>>330648
Yeah but I mean come on, this was the height of the Middle Ages, of France, and of Templar power. Paris was the capital of Europe, and you could easily recreate it exactly and have a great game map: the central island with the royal palace and the cathedral, the Latin Quarter dominated by the University, the private palaces of the most powerful noble houses, the fortified Templar citadel on the edge of the city that was called "the Temple"... Not to mention all the events of the time, the kidnapping of the Pope and move to Avignon, the Templar dissolution trial and execution, the Tour de Nesle affair, the deaths of French kings in rapid succession....

It's like that time was designed specifically to be an AssCreed game.
>>
>>330673
French Revolution is the only mainstream part of French history.
>>
>>330585
>statues
>homolust
>believing Catholic lies

Here's what actually happened:
>be le French king
>see people with a lot of money
>decide to jew it up
>conspire with the pope
>accuse them of being the devil
>acquire their fortune

But on a less meme-tier response, yes, they did practice dubious and probably unchristian rituals. The assumption is that they absorbed some Muslim mysticism into their order throughout the years fucking around in the Holy Land.
>>
>>330774
>Muslim mysticism
More like Zoroastrianism and various Eastern Christian mysticism that was the inspiration for Catharism.
>>
>>330717
>Paris was the capital of Europe
I would argue for Constantinopolis or even Rome still even if just because of the Pope. I don't think French power was too associated with Paris but I could very well be wrong
>>
>>330774
>Here's what actually happened:

I thought that was a given, I just wanted to meme it up a bit.

Truth to be told it's not even that they had a lot of money themselves with some notable exception on the higher ranks but rather the territories they aquired were the biggest asset of most Templars who were deeply involved in the commerce of certain goods, so yeah, Kings and clergy of the time saw how many profitable businesses the templars had in their hands and decided to have a piece of those.

But the official reason of the time was muh Baphomet statues, muh degeneracy, muh burning at the stake.

Not even catholic myself, just wanted to have a good laugh.
>>
>>330772
>French Revolution is the only mainstream part of French history
In the US maybe but you are ignorant as fuck.

Let's see the real mainstream highlights of French History. I'm talking about FRANCE named as such so post-capetians:
> Philippe Auguste and the crusades/templars/building of Paris
> Saint Louis and the kebab removing propaganda
> Philippe Le Bel and burning jews (and templars)
> CENTURY WAR: First getting rekt then full waifu
> François 1st: how to steal art and lose wars with class
> Henri IV: the only time being king really was the worst job ever
> Louis XIV: the only time being king really was being king
> Louis XVI: the only time the king got fired
> NAPOLEON: World best last stand in History
> Napoleon III: Same name but complete opposite. How to get rekt by germans, tome 1.
> WW1: Ahah *kof kof* vengeance ! *eurk* we won ! *kof* you look stupid now ! *breathe heavily*
> WW2: How to get rekt by germans, tome 2, 3 and 4.
> De Gaulle: or the Art of Pretending We're Still Relevant
> Chirac: Not pretending anymore
> Sarkozy/Hollande: How to get rekt by germans, tome 5.
>>
>>330791
You're wrong, Philippe Auguste finished to select Paris as the real french capital (he had a choice with Orleans or even Chartres) and he was Saint Louis grandfather, himself grandfather of Philippe Le Bel. By the time of the templars execution, Paris was the major city for students (religious obviously) much more than Rome and it was extremely powerful. Maybe not the largest though because we had monster cities like Gand but it didn't had the same power projection.
>>
>>330791
Constantinople was under Muslim siege, and Rome was a couple of families of shepherds fighting each other over ruin-littered hills.

Paris was the largest city in Europe, the University of Paris was the heart of intellectual life and every relevant thinker of the time went there, it was the home of Gothic art and architecture, it was the centre of power for the House of France which dominated Europe, and of course it was the HQ of the Templars, the most powerful multinational corporation of its time.
>>
>>330842
Nobody outside of France knows or cares about any of this except the Revolution/Napoleon.

Hell, not even anybody inside France does.
>>
They were innocent. Their biggest sin was saving Phillip IV and giving him sanctuary when people were mad with him because he debased currency. He saw they were very rich and decided to rob them.

But then, he paid dearly for that.
He died in the same year as De Molay. His three sons got keked and none of them had a male heir, thus ending his dynasty. His daughter became a whore who killed her husband, but then got arrested by her son who had her lover executed.
>>
>>330873
I'd say the average non-french know about

-Charlemagne
-Crusades
-HYW
-Revolution
-Napoleon
-WWs

In my country at least, even normies know those parts of French history
>>
File: roismaudits1972.jpg (199 KB, 1090x500) Image search: [Google]
roismaudits1972.jpg
199 KB, 1090x500
>>330874
Don't forget the best character
>>
>>330874
Isabelle's husband, Edouard III was gay as fuck and had several lovers with political influence, that's not really fair to call her a whore.

Also her sisters, Blanche and Margueritte, were the true whores.
>>
>>330892
But what I said happened, it was not only in the books.
Anyway, who is that in your picture? Artois?
>>
>>330889
In popular culture, the Crusades are associated with England first, then Germany. Charlemagne is considered either German or nothing at all. And France is seen as the irrelevant incompetent loser in the WWs.

So yeah there's really only the Revolution/Napoleon (same story) and Joan of Arc.
>>
>>330909
Those were her sisters-in-law, not her sisters.
>>
>>330911
Yes it's Artois. Also they all existed, sure it's a book but it's not so far from reality.

>>330916
>In popular culture, the Crusades are associated with England first,
In Bong culture maybe...

And you really have to be a burger autist to think France didn't do the heavy lifting during WW1.
>>
>>330909
* Edouard II is the husband, III is the son, sorry.
>>
>>330916
>In popular culture, the Crusades are associated with England first, then Germany.

You're talking about the US only there
Here in Europe, everyone knows that England barely contributed to Crusades and that it was mainly a French-German thing
>>
>>330921
>Those were her sisters-in-law
... no ? They are all children of Jeanne de France and Philippe le Bel, seven brothers and sisters.
>>
>>330909
She cheated on her husband, killed him and had her lover dominate her son. She is a whore.
>>
>>330774
>>330794
Philip IV reign marked the beginning of the French sovereignty.
The main reason was influence, the king saw the templars as a foreign/parasitic faction, it was a taskless order jewing what he considered to be his lands.

And he was pretty right, templars were lombard tier at this point.
>>
>>330932
No.

Phillip IV had 4 kids that reached adulthood.

3 sons that married 3 daughters of the Duke of Burgundy.
The Queen of England.

The 3 sons were cuked, but one of them said he wasn't because he wanted the lands of his wife (she was the heiress of Burgundy).
>>
>>330937
>the king saw the templars as a foreign/parasitic faction

Foreign aint the word, templars were pretty much all French
But back then, nationality didnt matter
It was all about powers of individuals and families
>>
>>330932
Yes. Blanche and Marguerite of Burgundy were the wives of Louis and Charles, the brothers of Isabelle and sons of Philip.
>>
>>330924
>>330929
Sorry but US culture is world culture lads.
>>
>>330941
There's no reason to think Philip was keked.
>>
>>330941
Ah right, the others daughters died immediatly, my mistake. But the name were quite similar.
>>
>>330794
>>330774
Yeah there were shenannigans, but I think more to the point of the OP, it should be noted that 'occult templarism' in terms of Freemasonry and other occult groups is almost entirely reconstructionary. I'd venture a guess the move of Freemasonry to a speculative activity was WAY more influenced by people like Descartes not being able to find the Rosicrucians, so that sort of material started to inform the operative lodges.

While it's long been a component of high degree Freemasonry, the whole "Kill the Knights of Malta" fearmongering people get from the 33rd degree material is sort of irrelevant, as over in the Yorke right, you become...guess:
>A Knight of Fucking Malta
And I've yet to hear any Scottish and Cryptic rite groups killing each other.

Anyway the popularity of that aspect of things started to take off in Germany in the 1800's with the formation of the Ordo Templi Orientis, and was meant to be a condensation of Memphis/Mizraim using Templar themed initiations, but that by no means Freemasonry or OTO have direct correlations to Knights Templar.

~t. OTO initiate
>>
>>330961
>Blanche and Marguerite
Also the exact names of dead infant daughters of Philippe le Bel.

Is it a bug in the matrix ?
>>
>>330971
When it comes to WW2 surely, since 50% of your cultural media revolves around it
But for the rest of history, American cultural industry doesnt invest itself enough to become mainstream view
>>
>>330784

And Gnostic stuff, too.
>>
>>330980
There were really just a couple of names to choose from back then, basically Jeanne, Isabelle, Blanche, and Marguerite.
>>
>>330889

American here. After completing high school, what I knew about the French revolution was

1) Guillotines
2) Killed the king
3) Napoleon

and desu I recognize the terms on that list, but god help me if I had to describe what Charlegmane did (other than stop the Muslims) or literally anything about the hundred years war (other than it was against the British)
>>
>>331074
>what Charlegmane did (other than stop the Muslims)

That was Charles Martel
>>
>>331136

Well, there you go. That should tell you everything you need to know about my American education of French history.
>>
>>331074
>what Charlegmane did (other than stop the Muslims)
oh boy
>>
>>331165
get the history books cracking friendo, you're missing out
>>
>>331374
This. How can you waste time reading or watching fictions when the best stories already happened in reality ?
>>
File: the cup of blood.jpg (199 KB, 499x750) Image search: [Google]
the cup of blood.jpg
199 KB, 499x750
>>330329
every conspiracy theory you ever hear is true.
>>
File: lotus rose cross.jpg (68 KB, 545x396) Image search: [Google]
lotus rose cross.jpg
68 KB, 545x396
>>332906
I heat up, I can't cool down.
>>
File: mason-goat2.jpg (45 KB, 485x289) Image search: [Google]
mason-goat2.jpg
45 KB, 485x289
>>332917
abra abra kadabra I wanna reach out and grab ya
>>
File: goat.jpg (38 KB, 468x300) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
38 KB, 468x300
>>332906
yes, the templars control the world, yes the freemasons worship and serve satan, yes there are aliens, yes they are evil, yes everyone is in on it and the whole world is one big conspiracy, yes you are in the matrix, yes nothing is real.
>>
File: mural11.jpg (63 KB, 476x616) Image search: [Google]
mural11.jpg
63 KB, 476x616
>>332957
You want out? Too bad lad. You belong to us Mr.Freeman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg
>>
File: tumblr_n4isv9nETJ1qa2wv5o1_500.gif (926 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4isv9nETJ1qa2wv5o1_500.gif
926 KB, 500x200
>>332966
They're all dead now
>>
File: ouroboros.gif (98 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
ouroboros.gif
98 KB, 500x534
>>332987
And while you still may be alive Mr.Freeman, there is absolutely no chance in hell of you getting out of "here".
>>
File: heresy.jpg (94 KB, 482x641) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
94 KB, 482x641
>>330976
>~t. OTO initiate
To the stake it goes
>>
File: snake-medicine.jpg (37 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
snake-medicine.jpg
37 KB, 600x450
>>333012
I win.
>>
>>330575
wot
>>
>>330329
No they were just a very powerful Catholic military order that literally acted like jews so they got treated like jews. The Knights Hospitallier were cooler anyway.
>>
File: 1394489002483.gif (1 MB, 311x240) Image search: [Google]
1394489002483.gif
1 MB, 311x240
>>330976
>~t. OTO initiate
>>
File: 1907657-acr_altair_render2.png (1 MB, 1000x1871) Image search: [Google]
1907657-acr_altair_render2.png
1 MB, 1000x1871
>>330369
I liked it in the first game
>>
>>336397
me too, but altair had a shit voice actor imo
>>
>>330442
>Templars failed to fulfill their task.
They were planning on launching another Crusade when they were attacked. There just wasn't enough support left in Europe. Their task was to protect pilgrims on the roads to Jerusalem. They succeeded.
>exploit the lands given to support the crusades.
No, given to them, for what they could find use for in Christendom.
>Philip IV king simply claimed his due.
A lie and a travesty. He was a kike who wanted to rob innocent men, but fortunately came up empty handed.

>>330976
>t 'occult templarism' in terms of Freemasonry and other occult groups is almost entirely reconstructionary
Pretty much. Ramsay made up a spurious pedigree, and started spouting Templary, to which others took a liking regardless, so it stuck and evolved.
>>
>>330916
>crusaders associated with England

Lost it
>>
>>336975
>There just wasn't enough support left in Europe.
And for a good reason, people felt cheated.

>Their task was to protect pilgrims on the roads to Jerusalem. They succeeded.
They completely failed to protect the logistic network, after the siege of Acre there was almost no pilgrim to protect.

>but fortunately came up empty handed
Most of the order's wealth was its lands, it already was common knowledge under Philip IV.
Those lands were after the Templar order's dissolution redistributed to other religious orders less
threatening to the French crown.

>rob innocent men
An order characterised by its vow of poverty and practising disguised usury.
>>
>>330329
Read pic related for accurate info.
>>
>>337106
Dude, you just can't spin this in a favourable light.

>And for a good reason, people felt cheated.
Well perhaps they should have supported it more to begin with, and not let the Mongols, Mamluks, or Seljuk Turks come into existence.
>after the siege of Acre there was almost no pilgrim to protect.
And that's their fault? Again, Mongols.
>Those lands were after the Templar order's dissolution redistributed to other religious orders less
threatening to the French crown.
Hah, barely. A bit was redirected towards the Hospital and such, but most of it was taken by "Alpha Jew" Phillip IV.
>An order characterised by its vow of poverty and practising disguised usury.
The men still practiced poverty, and were restricted to something like the cost of two loaves of bread per week in wealth. It was the Order which was affluent.
As for the usury, the church allowed that for a lot of Crusader stuff. Hell, most of the Temple's money came from their vast lands given to them, such as most of Aragon.
>>
>>339424
>not let the Mongols, Mamluks, or Seljuk Turks come into existence.
wat. thats like asking someone to stop the earth spinning on its axis; its beyond anyone's control
>>
>>339728
Precisely.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.