[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "Muslim" an ethnicity, rather than a religious affiliation,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: idk.jpg (58 KB, 461x449) Image search: [Google]
idk.jpg
58 KB, 461x449
Is "Muslim" an ethnicity, rather than a religious affiliation, like Jewish people?

For example, if there's ethnic tensions and a sizable Muslim population, wouldn't someone's parents being Muslim cause them to be ethnically affiliated with the Islamic world even if they aren't devout themselves? I mean, many Jews are Atheist but still considered "Jews", and would probably still be if there was an extreme nationalist government.
>>
>>329976
No, Islam explicitly states that (like Christianity) it has no racial or ethnic connectations and is designed to draw converts. Although it has a strong Arab bias due to the language of it's holy book and it's culture of origin.

Tying them to race is not impossible though, just highly contextual, e.g. Muslims in Yugoland.
>>
>Is "Muslim" an ethnicity?
No. You believe, or you don't
>>
File: muslims.png (761 KB, 621x605) Image search: [Google]
muslims.png
761 KB, 621x605
As you can see from pic related, these people come from different places of the earth, look different and have different cultures but still share the same religion.
>>
Yes
t. American
>>
>>329976
Being muslim means being arabized culturally,genetically(not all),religiously,language,politically,economically and morally

Arabs did colonize and did rape/breed/colonize west,north,and east africa,they did spread themselves all over west asia(eg: syrians who were discriminated as "white muslims" by arab invaders)
in all other parts of Asia ,Islam did not come with this "blood package"

the religion may not "discriminate" ,but arabs do heavily against blacks ,whites and non-muslims,there is a lot of hatred against non-muslims in their book

jews are an ethnoreligious group,they are not the same
even if islam does have its ethnic aspects because of its nature ,it is not an ethnoreligious group ,even if that group did everything in its power to spread itself
>>
Yes
By being a Muslim you are automatically nonwhite
Applies to converts too
>>
>>329985
Don't forget about the millions of Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Indonesian, African muslims etc.
>>
>>330605
>Arabs doing that shit
Someone is projecting
>>
>>330405
>arab, african and east asian looking resolute
>the white looking girl crying
lel, is that suppose to be a hidden metaphor
>>
>>330605
lol
>>
File: Consanguinity-world-map-Bittles.jpg (106 KB, 815x522) Image search: [Google]
Consanguinity-world-map-Bittles.jpg
106 KB, 815x522
there is almost certainly some hereditary attributes and markers due to endogamic practices, but I don't think they are a collective race.
>>
File: dumb post.png (21 KB, 263x200) Image search: [Google]
dumb post.png
21 KB, 263x200
>>329976
>>
>>330605
Islam doesn't "arabize" as much as it looks like it does.

People being called Abdulla Muhammad and Omar is only like Americans being called Mark John or Matthew
>>
>indonesians and bosniaks are the same ethnicity
think about the what fuck you are saying next time
>>
>>329976
Being muslims is an important component of many countries/cultures

For example, an Algerian raised in Algeria by Algerians will always have something "muslim" on him. His way of thinking will be conditioned by islam (and the kind of islam dominant in his background). I'm a spaniard, atheist and born atheist (as in, my parents never gave me religious education and I'm not even baptized) but in part I'm "culturally" catholic. I would have to reject all my spanish (even iberian) identity to get rid of every mark indirectly caused by catholicism.
>>
File: bosnian muslims.jpg (40 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
bosnian muslims.jpg
40 KB, 600x424
>>329976
Not for all, but for some people like the Muslims of Bosnia it became an ethnicity, althought related to Serbs and Croats, bosnian Muslims consider themselves to be ethnicaly different due to being muslims, thus their ethnicity is commonly denominated as "Musliman" meaning Muslims. The Musliman term is now being more and more replaced with the term Bosniak which is a neo-contemporary term describing explicitly bosnian Muslims.
>>
File: arabic-language-map.gif (13 KB, 518x317) Image search: [Google]
arabic-language-map.gif
13 KB, 518x317
>>333031

>People being called Abdulla Muhammad and Omar is only like Americans being called Mark John or Matthew

Americans don't all speak Hebrew/Aramaic. A majority of places with arab names also speak Arabic and have many Arabic cultural practices.

Certainly part of this is due to the fact they were part of an Arabic empire and while Islam is strongly connected it isn't the only factor, but Islam of all religions does privilege Arabic. Beyond even Christianity's privilege of Latin.
>>
>>333108
Well, first of all not him and it's clear that islam privileges arabic. Not gonna discuss this.

That said, do you realize that your map is only a small fraction of the islam world, mainly inhabitated by peoples with languages more or less already related with arabic before the conquest?
>>
>>333108
You do know that ethnic, cultural Arabs only make up 20% of Muslims, right?

According to the Pew report, in 2010 there were 204,847,000 Muslims in Indonesia, the largest Muslim nationality. That constitutes approximately 12.7% of Muslims.
>>
>>333137
"The Arabs of the desert are the worst in Unbelief and hypocrisy, and most fitted to be in ignorance of the command which Allah hath sent down to His Messenger: But Allah is All-knowing, All-Wise." - [9:97]

"Some of the desert Arabs look upon their payments as a fine, and watch for disasters for you: on them be the disaster of evil: for Allah is He That heareth and knoweth (all things)." - [9:98]

"But some of the desert Arabs believe in Allah and the Last Day, and look on their payments as pious gifts bringing them nearer to Allah and obtaining the prayers of the Messenger. Aye, indeed they bring them nearer (to Him): soon will Allah admit them to His Mercy: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." - [9:99]

It's merely that the Qur'anic Arabic language that's given a place of prestige, purely because the Miracle of the Qur'an cannot be fully understood without it.
>>
>>333108
>Americans don't all speak Hebrew/Aramaic.

Shmuck.

Is a word of Jewish origin. I hear a lot of Americans using that word.
>>
It's a political ideology, a dangerous one at that.
>>
>>333108
>Americans don't all speak Hebrew/Aramaic.
No they speak English which has an extremely heavy Latin influence thanks to the Church.
>A majority of places with arab names also speak Arabic and have many Arabic cultural practices.
Only the Middle east and North Africa speak Arabic and thats not the majority of the Muslim world.

The thing is that Christianity has affected the western world just as much as Islam has affected the Islamic world, it's just much harder to see because we're inside it.
>>
“There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab. Neither is the white superior over the black, nor is the black superior over the white — except by piety." -Prophet Muhammad's Last Sermon
>>
>>332958
>>/POL/LEAVE
>>
>>333310
>please remove, its offensive towards the prophet
relax hakim, its just a prank
>>
>>333333
nice
>>
>>329976
Your example wouldn't make it an ethnicity.
I wouldn't consider myself a christian, but if someone somewhere started persecuting people for following the very same faith that my parents follow, it's certainly more of a personal matter than, say, buddhists persecuting muslims?
Now, does this make christianity an ethnicity? Nah.
>>
Ofcourse "muslim" is not an ethnicity.

Ethnicity is genetic. An individual's world view is not genetic.
If you take a baby of two muslims and have it raised by buddhists it will not cry "allahu akbar", obviously.

The proposition that you put forward that jews are always jewish is also false because you confused the jewish ethnicity with the jewish religion. "Jew" is one word with two meanings, one referring to the ethnicity and one referring to the religion.

It's sad that this thread exists.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.