[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is hating Richard Dawkins a meme? Every time I see the man I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: 1447634821684.jpg (30 KB, 608x456) Image search: [Google]
1447634821684.jpg
30 KB, 608x456
Is hating Richard Dawkins a meme? Every time I see the man I immediately start thinking about fedoraism and rampant leftism, but when I read the guy he sounds very reasonable and pleasant.

Why is he disliked? wouldn't it be better to dislike his readers?
>>
>>328283
>but when I read the guy he sounds very reasonable and pleasant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIwYNioDL8
>>
kek, okay
>>
Stupid people who ape intellect idolize the man for making others seem like even greater morons. He's a hero in cargo cult intellectualism.
>>
>>328283
>but when I read the guy he sounds very reasonable and pleasant.
Are you sure you're reading Richard Dawkins?
>>
>>328334

http://www.physics.nyu.edu/sokal/dawkins.html
>>
>>328283
>but when I read the guy he sounds very reasonable and pleasant.
Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34QjYPuiEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqqp8KVuQU
>>
File: 0890-3670-040621-15-1-1.jpg (14 KB, 200x277) Image search: [Google]
0890-3670-040621-15-1-1.jpg
14 KB, 200x277
>>328283
He seems nice

https://youtu.be/5of4A7DGQvw
>>
>>328337
> Lacan goes on to conclude that the erectile organ

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=phallus
>>
File: 5426574432.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
5426574432.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>328283
Yes, most people have never read any of his work, and seem to form an opinion from the title of 'The God Delusion'
>>
His followers are universally obnoxious shits.

The hatred for him is a little silly though.
>>
>>328380
100 times this
>>
>>328283
He makes solid arguments but he tends to get a little crazy when arguing with people. It's better to read him than to listen to him.
>>
>>328418
>He makes solid arguments
The core argument of his book is that God is assembled from many parts.
>>
>>328380
>Yes, most people have never read any of his work, and seem to form an opinion from the title of 'The God Delusion'

The book isn't amazing either, I could refute most of his arguments against the existence of god

t. Atheist

But in fairness he does address that in the first chapter or introduction where he specifically states he's not refuting theological arguments but rather the common understanding of god
>>
>>328283
if by "a meme" you mean sensible and correct, then yes.
>>
>>328438
t. faggot
>>
>>328424
The book is great for what it is, a book for the masses. A text that can be read by people that never think about these types of things
>>
He's one of the most well known of the new atheists so he gets the most hate, even though he's nowhere near the worst one. People just aren't very logical, who knew?
>>
>>328424
>he's not refuting theological arguments but rather the common understanding of god
Wow. What a productive exercise. I'm sure he'd appreciate all the work creationists have done in refuting the common understanding of evolution.
>>
>>328688
> even though he's nowhere near the worst one.
Yeah, it's like Goering.
>>
He's recently spoken out against Islamic extremism so I guess he earned points with the people who thought he was specifically targeting Christianity.
>>
File: 1445683273129.gif (3 MB, 244x249) Image search: [Google]
1445683273129.gif
3 MB, 244x249
>champions the "Moral Zeitgeist" which moves progressively lefter
>the elevator debacle happens
>said zeitgeist has now publicly humiliated him
>>
He basically states the obvious.
Atheists and agnostics will listen to him. Theists will not even bother.
He is preaching to the choir. Ironic
>>
>>329374
Elevator debacle?
>>
>>329374

/pol/ creates such a strange mindset in people.
>>
>>329395
IIRC Rebecca Watson from the SGU had some creepy guy did something non-specific in an elevator and she went off about it, not to the guy but on the podcast of course. I don't remember the whole situation because it was many years ago.

Anyway Dawkins criticized her and said she was doing it for attention and making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Thus now atheist white knights flocked to her defense and praised her for being brave.
>>
>>328343
>that video

My sides.

I almost feel sorry for Richard
>>
>>329422
How so?
>>
I will say that I liked his whole thing on how while being selfish is more biologically advantageous, we really should fight that meme for the sake of being nice to each other.
>>
>>329451

I remember this, a guy invited her to go get some coffee and she said she was being attacked.
>>
>>329451
There's also the whole "Picking a fight with a child" thing.

But the ultimate irony is that if public opinion does decisively shift against him, Dawkins would (if he was intellectually consistent, lol) have to admit he was morally wrong for whatever he did in the elevator.

He's repeatedly said that he's opposed to any absolute standard of morality, and that morality is determined by the free discourse of people.
>>
>>329480
Dawkins wasn't the guy in the elevator, the guy in the elevator was just someone at the convention.
>>
I like how he called Ahmes the clock boy for "hoax boy" and went on to call him out.
>>
>>329486
Ahmed*
>>
>>329480
Even so

>implying public opinion shifts (short term) as a morality

nice strawman
>>
>>329473
Yeah that was it.

It was just so strange. It was probably my first real exposure to this whole wave of social justice stuff.
I'm fairly liberal and open-minded but even then I thought she was just being a bitch about the whole situation. Apparently she has only gotten worse since then too.
It was a shame since I liked the SGU too.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-20-26.png (399 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-20-26.png
399 KB, 768x1280
He retweeted a rage comic.
>>
>>329494

I don't think it was SJW stuff, I think she was just a bitchy feminist.
>>
>>329498
Is there a difference?
>>
>>329502

Back when this happened, yes.
>>
>>329502
Actually yes. A lot of extreme feminists don't like trans people and call them fake women.
>>
Is hating him a meme? Yes.

Especially since as >>328380 said, most people haven't read any of his works and judge the guy by snippets and sound bytes.

Does that mean he's always right? Of course not, he never claimed to have all the answers. He just espouses his view on things.
>>
File: 58744.jpg (17 KB, 265x400) Image search: [Google]
58744.jpg
17 KB, 265x400
The Vatican has an immense and highly sophisticated propaganda wing. If you think they have been sitting idly in the last decade then you are sorely mistaken. They actively attack and undermine prominent atheists/Vatican critics in public positions and they are also masters of propaganda through mass communication. If you detect a sudden, inexplicably shift in public opinion against a once popular anti-clerical movement or figure then you know who is to blame.
>>
>>329585
AIDF pls go
>>
I find him incredibly eloquent when it comes to matters of evolution but he's not too great at much past a surface level discussion of atheism.
>>
>>329606
He's not wrong though.

The Vatican had spies and agents working around Europe since the Renaissance, they were a staple of basic heretic hunts and the inquisition.

Maybe you really didn't consider that the Vatican has been a political body like any other since the end of the Roman Empire, such tactics were not beneath them at all and they did need them in order to be competitive in Europe.

A classic case of the Vatican's espionage and counterespionage was the whole Borgia affaire back in the fifteenth century, that's probably the most famous one in popular culture.
>>
>>329561
>He just espouses his view on things

seems pretty 4chan worthy
>>
>>329585
Props to them for the fedora meme
Imagine all the stuff they made in Trento
>>
>>329496
While a rage comic is a bit cringe, he is just a posh old man trying to connect with internet culture.

Also the comic has a point, but he fails to realise there are multiple denominations within religions, and I would argue plenty of them are not negative.
Salafism isn't islam in the same way those crazy american evangelicals aren't christian.
>>
File: 1443279627618.jpg (113 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443279627618.jpg
113 KB, 576x1024
>>
>>329817
kek

he's joking right?
>>
>>329817
Praise Gord
>>
>>329817
He must have a plan for if God is real, then.
>>
There's not another human alive who so radiates intelligence when he writes / speaks. No troll.
>>
>>328283

hating richard dawkins is not a meme

it is a spontaneous reaction to smugnes, zealotism and superficial thought

this reaction is shared by theists and atheists alike, cauze he simply comes across as a fundamentalist asshole to frequently, and often displays massive amounts of shere autism
>>
His smug "fugg yeah :D science :DD" attitude is annoying as shit, but he's pretty based for bringing the bants on twitter against keked leftists
>>
>>328283
Neo-christian /pol/ propaganda.
>>
>>328420
>The core argument of his book is that God is assembled from many parts.
Elaborate.
>>
File: 1407331590473.jpg (68 KB, 268x700) Image search: [Google]
1407331590473.jpg
68 KB, 268x700
>>328283
Because most people on 4chan are too underaged to remember Chrisopher Hitchens.
>>
>>330296
Hitchens was a faggot too

Stupid sophist always wining about >le totalitarian north korea God because his shitty fucking marxist-communist roots made him obsessively hate all authority.
Fatfuck that smoked and drank all day, but >muh charisma
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>330312
I was ok, and I even like Dawkin's material. Though I'll admit it's a little smug and wanky if you're not leaning atheist already.

Hitchens on the other hand took smug atheist faggotry to insufferable levels and is far more deserving of hate.
>>
>>330326
And Harris is the worst of them all, it's like they continually try to trump each other in shittiness

Among the four horsement I'd mention Dennett as being decent, but let's be honest noone gives a fuck about him because he doesn't tip his fedora hard enough for the children to appreciate
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.