[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Bhagavad Gita >Tae Te Ching >The Torah >The Bible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12
File: Bhagavad-Gita.jpg (78 KB, 636x448) Image search: [Google]
Bhagavad-Gita.jpg
78 KB, 636x448
>Bhagavad Gita
>Tae Te Ching
>The Torah
>The Bible
>The Quran

Which is best?

My vote is pic related.
>>
>>326754
If I had to pick one of the five, I'm with you. Then the rest in the order you posted.
>>
>>326754
>>326766
Quran is at the top desu.
>>
File: 6.gif (131 KB, 584x439) Image search: [Google]
6.gif
131 KB, 584x439
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac
>>
>Which is best?
Wow, this sure is going to be a quality thread.
>>
>>326781
Ok, what's your FAVORITE then
>>
>>326766
>Then the rest in the order you posted.

Not on any reasonable basis of course but purely on the fact 'muh hatred of Abrahamic religion!'
>>
>>326867
Not really. If I had the options to pick I'd go with:
>Tantrik Agamas
>Thelemic Holy Books
>Certain Gnostic material (Thunder Perfect Mind, maybe some Seithite, Valentinian and Ophite material)
>Gita
>Egyptian Pyramid Texts/Coffin Texts/Coming Forth By Day
>Tao
>Yi King
>Hekhalot Literature/Merkava Literature
>Neoplatonic elaborations
>Weird Christianity like the Beguines or Khlysts
>various odd cult documents, too many to list, things like the grimoire tradition
>power gap
>Bible Proper
>power gap
>Quran

But thanks for assuming.
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7 KB, 259x194
>>326754
They are all the same.
>>
>>326910
So you're a pagan and you don't like Abrahamic religions?
>>
>>326754
The Tao. It's a weird book.

>>326778
Get out of here Oppenheimer, anyone with two eyes knows that the bombs saved more lives than they took.
>>
>>326927
Who said I don't like them?
I like certain material in them more than others.

Abrahamic material's in my top three, and it accounts for three out of my top ten.

>>326928
>The Tao. It's a weird book.
I know, I'd like to place it at the top but I can't do it without the Yi along with it.
>>
>>326928
>Get out of here Oppenheimer, anyone with two eyes knows that the bombs saved more lives than they took.
But Oppy knew this. He said he didn't regret the bomb.
>>
>>326938
Are you a Christian, Jew, or Muslim?
>>
File: mandala021.png (67 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
mandala021.png
67 KB, 570x570
>>326754
They all have the same message.

Emmanuel... God is with us.

Krsna - Kristo - Christos - Christ

The Gospels, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Qur'an all deal with the Oneness of God, who is a righteous Judge either way.

God is a Supersoul, and all souls are within God. God is in all souls as the Supersoul. We are not God but by devotional service we can attain some of His qualities without the intent of fruition
>>
>>326948
Neither.
There are more than three options on the table.
>>
>>326910
>>Thelemic Holy Books

>>>/x/
>>
>>326946
Really? I didn't actually know that. I just so frequently see that quote used by anti-nuke people.
>>
>>326949
Also "Rahman" and "Raheem" are names of Allah.

Rama is a name for Krsna (incarnation before Krsna) notice the similarity between Rahman and Rama..
>>
>>326950
Cute
>>
>>326754
Bhagavad wins in terms of which book is best for actually attaining enlightenment in my opinion. The Tae Te Ching is a close second.

The last 3 Abrahamic books though...they get too bogged down in unnecessary stuff. The Bhagavad practically reads like an instruction manual on how to live well, the Bible/Torah/Quran...not so much.
>>
>>326952
This is pretty good.
>>
>>326963
I love, though, how the argument that persuades Arjuna in the end isn't an argument at all - just pure sublimity.
>>
>>326754
What is the best religion and why is it Hinduism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oo0oyLUdE
>>
File: Shantideva.jpg (452 KB, 600x684) Image search: [Google]
Shantideva.jpg
452 KB, 600x684
>>326958
"Then, in the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Anjana in the province of Gaya, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theists"

He made the faithless faithful to him.
>>
>>326980
You should read Huxley's "Island", it's climax takes place at the distribution of the "moksha medicine" to some young teens who then get a lecture on Shiva with that dance icon as the focus.

Incredible stuff.
>>
>>326928
That's why the Gita quote was relevant, Arjuna also saved more lives than he took. Doesn't make what he did any less tragic
>>
>>327003
It was his dharma
>>
>>326754
Define best.

The Qur'an is the most internally consistent and precise. The Bible has the most messages. The Hindu stuff is the most fun.
>>
>>326980
>tfw the demon of ignorance never dies.
>>
>>326754
Tao Te Ching.
>>
>most philosophical
Bhagavad Gita 7/10

>most interesting
Tao Te Ching 8/10
>most hyped
The Bible 3.5/10
>most overrated
The Quran 1/10
>>
>>326754

1) The Bible
2) Bhagavad Gita
3) Dao De Jing
4) Torah
5) Quran
>>
>>326766
>Torah above Bible
I'm not very religious, but isn't the Torah included in the Old Testament? So why would you rank the Bible higher when it's all that and more? Or do you think the addition or more hurts it?
>>
>>326754
The Bible. Anyone who says differently is a filthy heathen and must be have their soul cleansed amongst the flames of a mighty pyre. Deus vult.
>>
>>328345
Anyone who thinks hell is real doesn't understand the bible. Unless they're reading a mistranslation.
G-d is hard to anger and easy to please. Our reward for righteousness is freedom from earthly desire and resurrection in olam haba, not being spared from the hellfire and going to some sort of heavenly paradise.
>>
>>326754
Confucius' Analects >>>>> all that gay shit
>>
>>326754
The Qur'an is by far the worst, don't know which is the best
>>
All are equally ridiculous.
>>
File: 1442356965503.jpg (219 KB, 1134x1001) Image search: [Google]
1442356965503.jpg
219 KB, 1134x1001
>Not making a strawpoll
Dropped the ball OP, but I got you
http://strawpoll.me/6139574
>>
>>328391
> Analects
> not the Xunzi
> not Mozi

Step up.
>>
>>326980
literally dude weed lmao the religion
>>
>>326754
>>326910
>>327042
>>327112
>>328465

how to spot every person who hasn't read any of the texts listed
>>
>>326754
Gita by miles.
>>
>>327927
I assume they mean the Talmud
>>
>>328642
>Mohist garbage
Zuangzhi is best classic
>>
Gita is the only one that holds up today as an interesting work of Philosophy.
>>
>>326910
Pyramid texts gr8
>>
>>331299
A god who lives on his fathers,
Who feeds on his mothers...
Unas is the bull of heaven
Who rages in his heart,
Who lives on the being of every god,
Who eats their entrails
When they come, their bodies full of magic
From the Isle of Flame...
>>
>>326867
Have you read the Bhagavad Gita? Shit is insane yo, makes Achilles look like a bitch ass nigga.
>>
File: gilgamesh.jpg (384 KB, 1540x2349) Image search: [Google]
gilgamesh.jpg
384 KB, 1540x2349
>first work of literature ever
>main theme is fear of death, basically established the basis of human thinking before philosophy was even invented
>main characters beat a forest gnome to death

Seriously, how could it not be #1?
>>
>>331336
>how could it not be #1?
Well, if you had been paying attention, you'd notice that the list is of religious texts.
>>
>>331352
how is it different to the gita, which is basically part of an epic poem (thus making it an epic).
>>
>>326754
Is there a particular reason why you excluded the Avesta?
>>
>>331365
it's different because 'Gilgamesh' isn't one of the main texts of a world religion numbnuts
>>
>>331383
I'd imagine it's due to the incredibly low number of adherents. It's really damn good, but I've not thumbed through the material in forever.
>>
>>331387
>world religion

kek
>>
>>331404
yeah it's literally millions of people howi s that not a world religion
>>
1. Gita
2. New Testament
3. Sutra Pitaka
~Power gap~
4. Tao Te Ching
5. Upanishads
6. Analects of Confucius
7. Avesta
8. Vedas
~Massive Power gap~
98. Quran
99. Old testament
100. Talmud
101. Communist manifesto
~Infinite Power gap~
999999. The God Delusion
>>
>Everyone putting Quran at the bottom
It's pretty obvious you haven't read it and are just calling it shit because you hate Islam. It's a great little book. It's very concise for a religious text though.
>>
>>331503
>It's a great little book.

No it isn't. Its order is completely wrong and it's repetitive
>>
>>326754
The Gita
The Torah
The Tao
The Qur'an
The Bible
>>
>>331519
Don't see the problem.
>>
>>331503
>It's a great little book
>ALLAH AKBAR ALLAH AKBAR KILL INFIDELS PRAY 5 TIMES EAT HALAL ALLAH AKBAR
>repeat x99 per sura
>>
>>331563
That's not how it goes though.
>>
>>331503
it's pretty terrible if you're not an arabic speaker/reader, inconsistent, repetitive, devoid of legitimate inquiry and is really just a hardcore commandment type book where you are instructed to 'follow this message or else you're an infidel deserving punishment'. Supposedly it's linguistics in arabic is otherwordly but i'm not convinced of that claim.
>>
>>331605
>Supposedly it's linguistics in arabic is otherwordly but i'm not convinced of that claim.
>I don't know arabic but i'm pretty sure i'm right and all those thousands of years of arabic speaking scholars who actually know the language are wrong
>>
>>331503
>It's pretty obvious you haven't read it and are just calling it shit because you hate Islam

I've read it twice now and it's absolute rubbish, lacking in thoughtful philosophical inquiry and generally boring. It's obvious you're a muslim since you get so upset about people shitting on the quran.
>>
Karna>Arjuna

Arjuna a shit. A big shit. He should have died as a child.
>>
File: 1409553371593.jpg (25 KB, 635x460) Image search: [Google]
1409553371593.jpg
25 KB, 635x460
>>331643
>thousands of years of arabic yes-men who didn't want their heads cut off
>>
>>331681
>implying anyone disagrees with the former statement
>>
>>331687
So do you think all the anglo's who suck the KJV's cock are just 'yes men?' Or perhaps something that you might not agree with actually has some merit in some regard? What a shocking concept.
>>
>>331681
this

Arjuna fucking failed in each battle and had to break the rules of war just to win a fight

Dirty cheat
>>
>>331681
Good thing Arjuna won
>>
>>331760
>he cheated
and so did karna
>>331763
at least karna dies a hero
>>
>>331656
>I've read it twice now and it's absolute rubbish

Why'd you read it twice?

Religiosity aside, the Qu'ran is recognised as a significant product of Arabic language and a milestone in the making of modern arabic. It has many literary merits even being praised by non-muslims.

As for you, you provide a completely empty retort and vapid opinion based entirely on your own feelings.

It is very obvious you were one of those 'I hate Islam' types and wanted to 'evaluate the Qu'ran' as though you had any scholarly merit to do so in the first place and your predetermined mindset had already given a foregone conclusion.
>>
>>331605
>>331656
I'm not Muslim, i think it's a pretty good read for a religious book, i really don't see how its worse than the old testament where reading that is like having your penis skin slowly peeled off. The quran is fill of metaphors, allegories and stories.
>>
>>331775
He obviously hasn't read it. Why would he say twice? Just to make it sound like he really, really knows what he is saying, but it makes it clear that he's lying.
>>
>>331331

Reads like a chuuni anime shonen really.
>>
>>331770

America cheated against the British

War isn't a video game

Karna does die pretty righteous though
>>
>>331727
>So do you think all the anglo's who suck the KJV's cock are just 'yes men?'

Yes, they are. Pointing fingers and deflecting criticism to other religions will not make your claim any more valid.
>>
>>331775
>Why'd you read it twice?

I just felt like it, about 7 years apart from each reading. The second one was a little more on and off readings than the first one.

>Religiosity aside, the Qu'ran is recognised as a significant product of Arabic language and a milestone in the making of modern arabic. It has many literary merits even being praised by non-muslims.

And why would I care about the arabic language? I'm judging it based on it's content and it's quality as a thought provoking text, if I wanted to get something of the sort you're talking about out of the quran I might as well read an arabic-english dictionary.

>As for you, you provide a completely empty retort and vapid opinion based entirely on your own feelings.

You want me to write a dissertation? I don't really know what's more empty or vapid than 'you haven't read it bro you just hate islam thats why' that's basically what you (or that anon) is spouting. Garbage response to be honest.

>It is very obvious you were one of those 'I hate Islam' types and wanted to 'evaluate the Qu'ran' as though you had any scholarly merit to do so in the first place and your predetermined mindset had already given a foregone conclusion.

Aaaand there we go, accusations and ad hominens. No better way to ruin your credibility of criticism than attacking the messenger and pointing out character flaws.
>>
>>331782
>no bro you haven't read it bro you are def lying lalalalalala I can't hear you I can't hear you!

keep going, you're only making a fool out of yourself each time you post.
>>
>>331796
No, the reason I picked the KJV is that it's recognized by even atheist English professors (and any other even decently-educated person) that it's hugely innovative and influential for the English language as a whole. This isn't like some artsy-fartsy op ed, it's a demonstrable fact. The Quran is the same for classical Arabic. Both used their respective languages in ways that they'd never been used before.
>>
>>331782
>Why would he say twice?

I read the bible 6 times now. What's wrong with reading a book more than once?
>>
>>331874
You don't read a book you hate twice.

>>331871
Your criticisms are just incorrect though. It's a book thats had people thinking since its conception.
>>
>>331872
>it's hugely innovative and influential for the English language as a whole

Yet they haven't said it's some otherworldy or godly text that the only explanation is that it was divinely inspired (what muslims do). The same people would also put shakespearean texts among influential works on the english langauge. What's your point?
>>
>>331892
>You don't read a book you hate twice.

I hate some parts of the bible, that didn't deter me from reading it again.
>>
>>331784
>tfw karna straight up says his mom and dad no and stands with his bro instead of going after the pussy.
he was too good for that world.
plus he killed the pothead.
>>
>>331899
Ugh, ok you got me I guess. I assumed in your original claim you didn't mean LITERALLY "otherworldly" but were making the more mundane and widely-accepted claim that the language construction in the Quran is 'exceptionally idiosyncratic'
>>
>>331892
>You don't read a book you hate twice.

But I just did.

>It's a book thats had people thinking since its conception.

yea it's had people thinking ...... about how best to kill the kafir
>>
>>331925
>he doesn't know about the 'muh godly language claim'

muslims literally employ that argument as evidence of islams validity, that the quran could have only come from Allah because of how perfect it's verses are (which they aren't at all)
>>
>>331935
>yea it's had people thinking ...... about how best to kill the kafir
And there we come to the crux of your argument and the reason for your arrogant views.
>>
>>331944
Depends. It's pretty freaky if you want to go into the 19 stuff.
>>
>>331944
Yeah I've heard that. Not every single muslim believes this. There are Christians that say the exact same thing about the Bible. But most of them don't.
>>
This is probably inviting shitposting but is the Quran worth reading? i enjoyed reading the Bible when i was younger despite the fact that im not really religious. is it a similar structure etc. any advice on a companion book or just general advice for understanding it better
>>
>>332017
Yea its worth reading. How can you possibly comment on a religion if you havent read its core text.

It's not really a similar structure, the quran is more obviously written in one go.

You should read a modern English translation, rather than one that tries to sound fancy, as ultimately that just makes it difficult to read, rather than a translation thats had effort put into be as accurate as possibly even if disregarding poetics.
This one is good
http://www.free-minds.org/quran/
>>
>>326754
>best
Literally pointless.
I'm fond of the Daodejing and Qur'an though.
>>
File: Ibn_Arabi.jpg (8 KB, 218x280) Image search: [Google]
Ibn_Arabi.jpg
8 KB, 218x280
>>326922
das it mane
>>
File: 1427335659545.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1427335659545.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>328642
>Mozi
>implying you're not from /lit/
Seriously top choice though
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.