[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I had noticed that no culture that was considered undeveloped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: collage.jpg (58 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
58 KB, 350x250
I had noticed that no culture that was considered undeveloped had any sort of Companion animal.
-Sub Sahara Africa
-The Americas
-Australia
Where they essential in the development of culture.
>>
File: ZIF093SE0003.jpg (196 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
ZIF093SE0003.jpg
196 KB, 1000x665
>>326740
Cattle have been widely domestic all across Africa for thousands of years.

Ancient Aboriginals farmed eels.

Andean peoples relied heavily on the llama.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 290x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 290x240
>>326740

The native Americans had companion dogs. The Peruvians even bred a hairless dog centuries before European contact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_Hairless_Dog#
>>
>>326776
Sub Sahara Africa
I'm thinking horse cow, beast of burden, that could do X what a person could do.

I don't think eels are Companion animals.
>>
>>326776
>Ancient Aboriginals farmed eels.
how does that even happen
>>
>>326823
>eels aren't companion animals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9rqxh0tpjw
>>
>>326859
Shit, now I want one.
>>
>>326740
>I had noticed that no culture that was considered undeveloped had any sort of Companion animal.
>-Australia

Dingo, mate, dingo.

>>326826
>>Ancient Aboriginals farmed eels.
>how does that even happen

Well, first you build weirs to more easily hunt eels, then you make the hunting environment more conducive to hunting eels, then pretty soon you're fish farming.
>>
File: horse2.jpg (51 KB, 615x282) Image search: [Google]
horse2.jpg
51 KB, 615x282
>>326903
I'm thinking HORSE , but good point.
>>
>>326826

>She found an artificial system of ponds connected by canals, covering more than 75 square km.

>The community excavated channels to get direct access to baby eels that were migrating from the sea, and to bring them into prepared wetlands," Builth told ABC Science Online. "It was a gigantic aquaculture system."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/03/13/806276.htm
>>
>>326740
How would the world be different if Pig had the ability to learn language. Like they are still slaughtered for food, and Pork is ingrained in culture but they would cry and beg for mercy ?
How would different races react to this?
Different Genders?
Would Pigs be ISIS Sympathizers?
>>
>>327005
No, ISIS hates pigs.
>>
>>327038
Yes but they don't eat pigs either.
>>
>>326740
>ameicas

what is a llama?
>>
I read that the Native Americans used turkeys like guard dogs. Probably bullshit.
>>
>>327005
Well if "Maus" taught me anything, the pigs would be Kapos and collaborate with the Nazi cats to remove Jewish mice.

If we use Animal Farm for reference, then we are totally fucked, until the pigs decide "2 legs good, 4 legs bad" during the degenerate stage of the animal revolution. Then we can stab the pigs in the back because fuck you this is my farm.
>>
>>327094
I though "Maus" portrayed the Poles as having anti-German resentment and sympathizers of Jews. Its been a while though
>>
>>327005
Since they're capable of that level of intelligence, we would find it fairly repugnant to continue to eat them. I think that would be the case with any animal intelligent enough to communicate. Kind of like how most people think eating an elephant would be terrible because of how smart we view them.
>>
>>327113

It was sort of mixed. There were some poles in the book that helped the main character and some ratted on him and pushed him around.
>>
What are you on m8? Black africans owned pet dogs and cats, and the odd cow too.
>>
>>327115
Pigs are quite intelligent actually. I think the problem is women. they ingrain in to our heads from childhood that eating meat= normal and it "man-ly" to eat meat. Seems cravy, but think about it, men don't need meat ,to survive. Would a 1000 pound bul be able to be eaten by some dainty bitch if it weren't for a man with a knife?
Join the mens rights vegan movement. Animals are sentient and just like men are being manipulated by females.
>>
>>326880
Eels are like very shy sea dogs, just go on youtube and start watching dem eel videos son.
>>
Like, almost literally everyone had dogs. Dog-human symbiosis goes back like 20,000 years.
>>
File: 1406810029302.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1406810029302.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>327147
Man, you're retarded.
>>
>>327163
Okay enjoy being a fucking kek. Animals are sentient and deserve freedom
>>
>>327185
Most animals dont even recognize themselves in a mirror, why would they deserve "freedom" if they don't even know they exist?
>>
>>327185
>>327147

>he doesn't consume nature's finest proteins to get swole
>implying humans could have ever grown big brains, big muscles and dexterous hands if it wasn't for tasty flesh

pasty skellington fuccboi calling others keks
>>
>>327138
>odd cow
>not knowing African history

I bet you also think sheep in humid Latin America come from Europe too.
>>
>>327138
Sub Sahara Africans did not that's the north, domesticated animals would be easy Lion prey.
>>
>>328406
The earliest regions of Cow in Africa are Tenerians and Nubians.

You realize that the Sahara desert did not exist then and that the people in North Africa were often times black right?
>>
>>328406
Not that anon but dude are you for real buddy? Just off the top of my head, the entire culture of the Maasai is based around herding cattle.
>>
>>328425
But they did not use them as beasts of burden but a food supply (eating the blood).
>>
>>328461
They like most Africans use the African Donkey for that.
>>
>>327447
That test actually is pretty flawed because in a Gorillas case they are shy as fuck and eye contact + smiling triggers them.

So one gorilla saw the stain but it ran away to clean it off.
>>
>>327447
how can mirrors even be real if their eyes aren't real
>>
File: horsey..jpg (136 KB, 749x613) Image search: [Google]
horsey..jpg
136 KB, 749x613
>>326740
OP- Ok Ok... How about this, no people without the horse, seems to have developed an advanced culture.
( American Indians got stopped,
before they had a chance to start)
>>
File: African_wild_Ass.jpg (543 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
African_wild_Ass.jpg
543 KB, 768x1024
>>328474
>African Donkey
They live in the deserts and other arid areas of the Horn of Africa, in Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia. It formerly had a wider range north and west into Sudan, Egypt, and Libya. About 570 individuals exist in the wild.
(So in the Northern part of Africa)
>>
>>328485
Maybe, if central and south America somehow disappear from history.
>>
>>328499
Donkey are the primary beast of burden for maasai populations as well as Sahelian populations. Their current distribution is the result of the drying of North Central Africa and not a reflection of their likely domesticators.
>>
>>328503
Europeans reintroduced the horse to the Americas, after they went extinct.
>>
>>328513
Read my post. Read what I am replying to.

>>328485
>OP- Ok Ok... How about this, no people without the horse, seems to have developed an advanced culture.

>>328503
>Maybe, if central and south America somehow disappear from history.

I am disputing the implication that Central and South American cultures were not advanced.
>>
>>328529
Did not want to bring up the no wheel thing, but.
>>
>>326823
Pretty much all SSA peoples had cattle.
>>
>>328634
\/
\/
>>328485
>>
>>328641
Sub-Saharan africans used horses where the tsetse fly wouldn't decimate them, like in the Sahel for example.

FFS the sahelian empires relied on cavalry.
>>
>>328534
Tenochitlan undoubtedly was one of the great cities of the world before the conquest. The network of canals and other lake settlements provided food and trade to support a significant population for the era. The invading Spaniards were impressed by the architecture and transport networks.

The Inca were another culture with a geographically large Empire, with really interesting strategies to ensure that mostly peacefully conquered peoples remained so.

I suspect at this point though you are just jumping through hoops to try and justify a poorly considered revision to a stupid brain-fart OP.
>>
>>328534
Don't confuse the presence of specific technologies with the level of social and mental development.

As evidence, I remind you that Bantus had metal when the Americas were literally stuck in the stone age. Yet the Americas had civilizations and Bantus never did until civilization was forced upon them by Euros, Berbers, and Arabs.
>>
>>326740
I would say not true, lots of spearchuckers interact a ton with wildlife.

I'd say isolation is the biggest thing, that or living in shit land nobody wanted.
>>
>>328743
An answer, thank you.
>>
>>327074
>>326776
Llamas are weak as shit tho.
They can't support much more than 100 pounds, and they didn't exist for North American Natives which is why we only saw big cities in S.A. to start with.
>>
>>328819
>An answer, thank you.
Don't be a passive-aggressive bitch. You've had plenty of answers.
>>
>>328895
North American natives did have fairly large cities at one point though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia
>>
>>328911
Thanks for the find, Anon, I was unaware of this location beforehand.
I would assume being on the Mississippi River allowed it to grow and trade?
>>
>>328736
What are you talking about Kanem was formed by Teda speaking people who reached down to Lake Chad and is the basis of Sahelian Civilization. Not Arabs, not Europeans.
>>
It's not just a question of having these animals, it's when.

Eurasia had cattle for thousands of years before Africa did.

When developing your society, an advantage of a couple of thousands years in the sort of advanced farming that these animals allow you is obviously going to be visible even today.
>>
File: SubEquatorialAfrica.jpg (177 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
SubEquatorialAfrica.jpg
177 KB, 800x800
>>329066
Thnx valid point (why Africans are lactose intolerant), seems like trading is a large factor also.
>>
Why are you guys on this thread when you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about?

>>329087
Lactose persistence Co evolved independently in Africa, it's been confirmed by tiskoff. Even then lactofermentation which occurs spontaneously in the subtropics and tropics reduces lactose % to nearly zero. You do not in fact need to be lactose tolerant to drink dairy. You just don't drink the milk immediately after you harvest which is the most common way of consuming dairy anyways before refrigeration.
>>
>>329029
Teda speakers aren't Bantu

And sahelian civilization began with the Soninke people of Mauretania.
>>
>>329180
Bantu people are only half of the Niger-Congo linguistic family who were in essence a pioneer peoples who left within the last 1-3K years

They are not representative of the rest of linguistic family and neither are the the only inhabitants of the land south of the Sahel including Nilo-Saharans and Cushitics

The Soninke are not Berber, they are Mande speakers who are part of the Niger-Congo family. They are the original inhabitants of the region of Senegambia north to the Sahara who existed before the arrival of the Sanhaja long after the Empire began.
>>
>>329428
Also Kanem and Ghana are the same age, the Kanem absorbed the older city state of Sao which was around since before the common era.
>>
>>326740
Companion animal? The only ones are Dogs/Cats. The rest of domesticated animals are just work animals. And even Dogs were initially more for work. So

>-Sub Sahara Africa
Had horses, cattle, fowl
>-The Americas
Llamas and their ilk
>-Australia
I thought we were talking about homo sapiens sapiens..
>>
>>329435
Oh Americas also had dogs, dogs were their main work animal before the arrival of horses. The Indian word for Horse is something like bigdog.
>>
>>329435
>>-Australia
>I thought we were talking about homo sapiens sapiens
:^)
>>
>>328406
Dude, essentially all Sub-Saharan African peoples bad cattle. In Nigeria, in the Congo, in Kenya, in South Africa, you name it.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.