[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Marcus Aurelius as based as they make him up to be? He seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: tired emperor.jpg (2 MB, 3256x2336) Image search: [Google]
tired emperor.jpg
2 MB, 3256x2336
Was Marcus Aurelius as based as they make him up to be? He seems to have lacked the power-hunger that made other autocrats "Great".
>>
Epicureanism > Stoicism (the Reddit of its day)
>>
>>326390
I mean, I'm not an authority on his time as a ruler, but I know a lot of the love his because of his Meditations. Which is actually a fantastic philosophical work and makes stoicism really appealing.
>>
>my feet hurt
>these normies party too loud
>I wish I was at home with my infinite nothingness
>>
>>326390

The early Augusta were generally not as expansive as their republican forefathers. There's some exceptions but even these are minor. Augustus wanting Germania, Claudius Britain and Trajan Dacia. But most of them were more concerned with consolidating what they already had than expanding.

Marcus Aurelius was one of the emperors who wanted to make sure the Roman Empire remained stable for a long time.
>>
>>326423
He is literally a reverse-Alcibiades.
>>
File: sanic.jpg (7 KB, 251x224) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
7 KB, 251x224
>>326423
>pain is inevitable in life
>merely vibrating airwaves
>i'm content at this location
>>
>>326390
He wasn't too bad, but appointing his son to be emperor fucked up everything. Meditations is fantastic, too.
>>
File: 1439202552395.jpg (808 KB, 865x1392) Image search: [Google]
1439202552395.jpg
808 KB, 865x1392
>>326390
He's a cute
A CUTE
>>
He was a competent crisis manager, and an okay student of stoics.
>>
>>326967
Well, that wasn't really his fault.

His original heir died very late in his reign, and he was left with Commodus as the only other person who could theoretically take his place.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.