[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /his/ think of the history channel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 19
File: theancientalienschannel.png (4 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
theancientalienschannel.png
4 KB, 160x160
what does /his/ think of the history channel?
>>
tripe. not a valuable source of legitimate info. good for mind numbing tabloid sensationalism about nazi occultism and aliens but little more.
>>
>>327731
>nazi occultism and aliens
Not anymore. Now it's pawn shops and rednecks
>>
>>
>>326238
saddest destruction on a channel i really enjoyed
>be pre-teen in early 2000's
>really like history
>would watch documentarries on ancient rome, carthage, byzantines, and other ancient cities/civilizations
>learn more history from tv than shitty public school system
>13 years later
>mostly computer fag, rarely use tv
>turn tv while at parents house
>turn to history channel
>fucking Pawn Stars in around the same time there would have been a historical documentary
>felt almost as soul-crushingly bad as during my first break up

i guess really all good thing must come to an end
>>
File: whywouldyoudothat.jpg (49 KB, 600x621) Image search: [Google]
whywouldyoudothat.jpg
49 KB, 600x621
>>
I remember watching National Geographic, Discovery and the History channel in the early 2000's when it was still education. National Geographic and the Discovery channel used to just showed raw footage of animals no bells or whistles except for the narrator giving some context to what's happening. The History channel used to air narrated war footage with veterans talking about their experience. Now all they show is _____ truckers, _____ aliens, most deadly _____, _____ ghosts just total bullshit with a lot of value added narration. But I guess that's what the average viewers wants to see.
>>
File: subhumans.jpg (25 KB, 579x351) Image search: [Google]
subhumans.jpg
25 KB, 579x351
it just shows whats america is turning into
>>
>>328725
At least you checked out.

For those of us who stayed with it, Pawn Stars was a relief.
>>
File: pawn.png (135 KB, 246x311) Image search: [Google]
pawn.png
135 KB, 246x311
Hey there
>>
>>328781
Truth. At least pawn stars offers a smidgen of history with all the bullshit, unlike that gator hunting shite.
>>
>>327731
You're looking for H2. I actually quite like both the History Channel and H2
>>
>pawns stars
>ancient aliens
shit channel desu senpai
>>
File: booed.jpg (98 KB, 612x613) Image search: [Google]
booed.jpg
98 KB, 612x613
>>326238
>another Hitler show is being made
>it's about how Hitler escaped through Spain and didn't kill himself in the bunker

>"""""""""""""""""""history"""""""""""""""""" channel
>>
File: koh-i-noordiamond.jpg (54 KB, 453x466) Image search: [Google]
koh-i-noordiamond.jpg
54 KB, 453x466
>>329786
How much for this?
>>
File: l.jpg (63 KB, 667x515) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
63 KB, 667x515
>>330022
i'll give you 3 dubs for it no more no less
>>
>>330049
Not even 4?
>>
>>330053
dont push me
>>
File: old man.jpg (28 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
old man.jpg
28 KB, 624x352
>>330057
*old man walks in*
God damn it Rick, just go up to 4.
>>
File: david345.jpg (42 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
david345.jpg
42 KB, 500x370
>>330022

whoa dem some trippy dubs
>>
BAHD BOIS WHAT CHA GON WHAT CHA GON A DO
>>
>>330049
hey, I got 3 dubs right here: >>330088
>>
>>329786
Do you buy retro-videogame vinyls?
>>
>>328725

actualy witnessed this happen little by little

first there was to be seen a bizare refocusing on 'grand' events such as napoleonic wars or world wars

then a shifting to WW2, almost exclusively

then a slide into documentaries about Hitler, one after another after another

after that, aliens

and after aliens, bearded shmucks buying trash and hunting catfish

the only thing i still dont understand is why in a hundred frozen fucks they still call it 'the history channel''
>>
Viasat History is better.
>>
>>330022
I'll call you lebron James, cause you just got a triple double
>>
File: 1289859079110.jpg (70 KB, 523x367) Image search: [Google]
1289859079110.jpg
70 KB, 523x367
>find that some of the old-school History Channel documentaries documentaries are on YouTube
>find documentaries about the ancient Sumerian empires, Egypt, etc.
>mfw those based reenactment docs where -- on top of the standard Ken Burns-style fare of having a narrator, testimonials from experts, and still images -- they have actors and sets and costumes to play out key events
>watch this one Egypt one where they even used a reconstructed ancient Egyptian for some of the dialogue in these parts
>this genre of documentary now dead on American TV
>>
>>330146
this tbqh senpai desu. Started watching viasat history when I was 12(so about ten years ago) and the quality has pretty much stayed the same. I remember watching it for hours a day until I got so familiar with the documentaries that I couldn't watch it for months without seeing reruns.
It still has some good documentaries and they have reality shows about life in Victorian times etc. Time Team is a good show and that's what made me interested in archeology(studying medieval-modern history archeology for my undergraduate).

Got the History channel about a year ago and every time I turn it on, it's always one of the hundreds of shows about storage wars. Just fuck my shit up familia.
>>
>>330140
>why in a hundred frozen fucks they still call it 'the history channel''

This. At least SciFi had the grace to change their name to SyFy once they stopped focusing on science fiction.
>>
It's so bad that I call what happened to it "The History Channel Effect". The same thing has happened to the Discovery Channel. There are no good documentary channels anymore.

I haven't checked. Has the Nat Geo's channel gone to shit since they were bought out?
>>
I will never forgive them for airing the shit called Vikings. That show is the worst to have happened to the popular image of dark age scandinavians since the times of Wagner. Once the old national romanticist image was finally beginning to lose its grip we get this historically inaccurate hollywood bullshit and everyone is eating it right up.
>>
>>326238
Honestly, it's complete and utter shit. More than half of its programming doesn't involve history, devolving into a really shitty /x/ thread.
>>
>>330140
You don't remember the 1001 apocalyptic fear mongering shows they had between Hitler and Alien era?
>>
>>330195
>using reconstructed languages
I love when shows do this instead of just giving everyone a generic received pronunciation accent.
>>
File: 1416465115752.jpg (243 KB, 970x937) Image search: [Google]
1416465115752.jpg
243 KB, 970x937
Those aliens smoking pot always crack me up
>>
>history 2 is being rebranded as a channel for Vice
At least they're putting one half out of its misery.
What do they even show on h2 anyway? The same shit as the first channel or actual documentaries?
>>
>>332473
Crucify me but I like Vikings and Pawn Stars. Sue me, humiliate me; that's my fetish senpai desu.

>>332043
Also, I'd like to add, that that one blonde blue eyed jew girl, who has a show about victorian household killers, imho is pretty hot tbqh desu.
>>
You guys gotta watch H2 at 6 in the morning for History
>>
>>332570

Is there an archive of shows on youtube or something from the 1995-2001 era? I remember really like shows like Modern Marvels.
>>
>>332570
Needs a last one with Ice road pawnstars
>>
>>330140
My god it's even worse than what happened to G4.
>>
>>328779
forehead lump
>>
>>337001
I'm sure there is, but Modern Marvel's was also on Netflix last I knew.
>>
>>328763
>British documentary
>Here, in the jungles of Bhata-Tuthu, the praying mantis is in search of its prey.
>3 minutes of very clean and uninterrupted footage of the praying mantis following a spider, perhaps with the occasional explanatory voice over

>American documentary
>Guitar riffs playing in the backround
>YOU PROBABLY WOULDNT WANT ONE OF THESE KILLERS IN YOUR BACK YARD
>Rapid jump cuts of the praying mantis
>THE PRAYING MANTIS MIGHT LOOK LIKE A BUG IN CHURCH, BUT THIS NASTY MOTHER-SUCKER IS NOT TO BE MESSED WITH
>More flashy jump cuts
>THIS LITTLE SPIDER DOESNT KNOW WHATS WAITING FOR HIM, THE FURY OF THE MANTIS IS NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED
>More flashy jump cuts
>The mantis strikes
>Strange animal growling and screeching noises are dubbed in as it attacks because silent footage is too boring for americans
>Slow mo replay of the attack in black and white
>AND ITS OVER IN A FLASH
>THAT LITTLE SPIDER
>SHOULD'VE PRAYED
>TO THE MANTIS
>Starwipe to next clip
>>
>>328779
I didn't even know excess fat would eventually go to your forehead.
>>
>History Channel: making history history
>>
>>337565
ha.

i think that all the good BBC nature series are pretty popular in the USA though. I hear they add new narration which is mind bogglingly pointless but there we are
>>
File: americans ruin documentary.png (51 KB, 1219x68) Image search: [Google]
americans ruin documentary.png
51 KB, 1219x68
>>337589
>>
>>337690
I remember watching that one like last year after having seen the original when it came out, and thinking, "Why the fuck did they pick Sigourney Weaver of all people?" like, I know who she is, but if you ask pretty much any under-20 they'll have no idea.
>>
>>337690
I didn't mind Sigourney as the Narrator but its really dumb to replace Based Attenborough for views.
>>
>>328725

>really like history
>would watch documentarries on ancient rome, carthage, byzantines, and other ancient cities/civilizations
>ancient rome...byzantines
>>
>>326238
HAIRY BIKERS
A
I
R
Y

B
I
K
E
R
S

>>337001
Modern Marvels was great.

>>337690
>that one segment of "BBC's Life" where they replaced Daved Attenborough with fucking Oprah.

Ts this what being triggered feels like?
>>
>>328725
This, same with discovery.
>>
File: 1388338854754.jpg (57 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
1388338854754.jpg
57 KB, 461x523
>this thread

Man I miss the good ol days of the history channel. When every other show was about world war two. Or that show that would use Rome Total War to illustrate how ancient battles went down. Or fucking Mail Call with R Lee Ermey.

Loved all of it when I was in middle school.
>>
>>339882
>Rome Total War
That was fucking hilarious. The battle of Zama was fucking wonderful.
>>
I watched a lot of it when I was in Cuba on vacation because it was the only channel in English. I guess it was okay I watched a documentary on trying to find the holy ark of the covenant and napoleon. I'm surprised I remember that it's been like 11 years.
>>
>>330140
>the only thing i still dont understand is why in a hundred frozen fucks they still call it 'the history channel''

$$$$$
>>
File: morgan webb.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
morgan webb.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>337196
Go fuck yourself. G4 killed a legitimately based network.

https://youtu.be/ZEBwGOHntro
>>
>>337690
>be more familiar

But people already know who David Attenborough is. He's that guy that was the voice in nature documentaries
>>
Fuck, I remember days when I was off from school I'd watched like 6 hours of programming on WWI. Literally had no idea what WWI was even about until then. Now it's just total shit

>>332865
Last time I checked, there was some more of the older programming on there, like Modern Marvels and shit. Not sure what's on now.
>>
>that documentary The World Wars from a couple years back
>has the really nice live action reenaction segments
>this is undercut by the fucking HOLY SHIT GUYS THIS GUY NAMED HITLER IS GONNA BECOME EVIL level of subtlety and use of the Inception BRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM noise

I wanted to smack the director half the time in that.
>>
Good back in the day, shit now.

Like Discovery Channel
>>
>>339683
The Byzantine empire is arguably distinct from the unified Roman Empire that preceded it.
>>
Ausfag here who never watched the History channel. Does anybody have a list of must see shows? I'm not really picky about the subject matter as long as it's interesting and informative.
>>
>>340240
Can we just agree they are both equally horrible and have ruined the next generation of tv watchers?
>>
>>340397
Modern Marvels is fantastic. As far as I know they have all of them on netflix right now.
>>
>>328725
I know this feel I used to watch it all the time around the same time and learned so much, now its a pile a shit like the rest of television
>>
>>340671
Cheers bro, will give it a watch.
>>
>>332473
I know what you mean, when I first started to see the ads for Vikings i was excited, thinking they where going to tell some sort of historical story or stories about Vikings, after the first ep I distinctly remember thinking "what the fuck is this shit?"
>>
That series about the Enterprise was awesome.
>>
>>326238
its dead
>>
>>326238
>muh aliens

A once beautiful and integre channel that got ruined by wanting to appeal to a broader audience, they went down the excact same road as Nat Geo and Discovery.

>muh "How it's made"
>muh "Pawn Shops"
>>
>>339882
>total war
>don't remember this
>look it up
>21 minutes of total war with occasional maps and commentary
>there are 13 episodes of this shit
I'm just wondering what they ran this on in 2004, with the amount of unit's i'm seeing would make a modern home computer lag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Ly96WK0CY
>>
File: 1428586595928.jpg (356 KB, 945x927) Image search: [Google]
1428586595928.jpg
356 KB, 945x927
>>328779
>>
>>326238
>>
The same could be said of the Science channel.

It really seems like Summer of '08 was the swan song for all these networks.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.