[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did you start with the greeks /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1424827310546.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
1424827310546.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
did you start with the greeks /his/?
>>
>>32595
No, I started with the Egyptians, like the rest of the world.
>>
Greeks are a meme
>>
>>32644
Cool, so you read about a bunch of useless people putting rocks on the ground? Sounds like a good plan if you want to get into history.
>>
File: artemidorus.jpg (24 KB, 202x320) Image search: [Google]
artemidorus.jpg
24 KB, 202x320
>>32595
>doesn't go on into the Roman period when Greek culture still dominates

>First, then, we will discuss face-to-face intercourse between a dreamer and his living mother, since a mother who is alive does not have the same meaning as a mother who is dead. Therefore, if anyone possesses his mother through face-to-face intercourse, which some also call the 'natural' method, if she is still alive and his father is in good health, it means that he and his father will become enemies because of the jealousy that generally arises between rivals [which would be greater in their case]. But if his father is sick, he will die, since the dreamer will take care of his mother both as a son and as a husband. But it is lucky for every craftsman and labourer. For we ordinarily call a person's trade his 'mother.' And what else would having intercourse with her mean if not to be occupied with and earn one's living from one's art? It is also lucky for every demagogue and public figure. For a mother signifies one's native country. And just as a man who follows the precepts of Aphrodite when he makes love completely governs the body of his obedient and willing partner, the dreamer will control all the affairs of the city.
>>
>>32595
I started with Mesopotamia.
>>
someone needs to re-edit that image, replacing the crappy "early greek philosophy" penguin volume with McKirahan's "Philosophy Before Socrates" (which contains the brunt of all presocratic fragments and exegesis), and the select works of plato and aristotle included in the image with Hackett's collected edition of Plato and Oxford's collected works of Aristotle
also
>read the republic and then read metaphysics
what

read all of aristotle's works on logic and general science (not biology) before touching metaphysics

categories is his most essential work
>>
>>32595
I started with the dawn of civilization. Mesopotamia, Hittites etc.
>>
>>32680
Sounds like you're a bit upset that I started a couple thousand years before the Greeks were even a thing.
>>
File: greeks 2 sophist boogaloo.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
greeks 2 sophist boogaloo.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>32739

superior chart
>>
>>32595
akkadian empire FTW
>>
.>>>/lit/

The correct answer is Romans, you work your way backwards and forwards from there
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.