[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: The Pacific War From Burma to the Aleutian Islands, there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 950x783) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 950x783
ITT: The Pacific War

From Burma to the Aleutian Islands, there's so much to discuss about the Pacific War
>>
File: bb62-1.jpg (34 KB, 792x595) Image search: [Google]
bb62-1.jpg
34 KB, 792x595
Claim your shipfu
>>
no there isn't
>>
>>325031

Wish I could've removed some nips with these guys.
>>
>>325031
Boring, one sided shitshow. Japan never stood a chance.
>>
>>325541

We could discuss the massively complicated political situation in the last few months of the war, the finer tactical details of the many set-piece battles, or the changes in doctrine and training gradually employed by the USN etc. etc.

Seems like plenty to me.
>>
File: ckg.jpg (45 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
ckg.jpg
45 KB, 237x213
>>325031

Currently reading John Tolands "The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire".

The japanese cause or war was fucking dumb. They knew from the outset that they were going to lose and half the ministers and most of the people were against it. But because a variety of factors, a few loudmouthed admirals got their way. In private, even the admirals doubted they could win the war - even BEFORE they started it - but because of MUH HONOR they refused to say so in public not to bring shame upon oh might navy
>>
>>325557
There is nothing there of actual interest.
>>
>>325551

>Any part of history

>Boring

A few less posters like you and we'd have a decent board here.
>>
>>325565

Good for you, now try to keep the shitposting to a minimum.
>>
>>325565
Okay? Then leave if nothing interests you.
>>
Can someone tell me what was up with Douglas MacArthur? The whole Phillipines campaign seems like a personal matter rather than strategic
>>
>>325643

You could find faaar better arguments against MacArthur than this nonsense. For some reason people think he was the only guy pushing for the invasion when there was a huge strategic debate over whether to invade Formosa or the Philippines. In the end everyone decided on the Philippines after it was realized an invasion of Formosa was logistically impossible at the time and would delay the US advance by several months.
>>
>>325675
So he is great man?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1242x2208
>>325564
It always seemed to me that the Japanese were screwed from the start despite having steamrolled through the better part of the pacific and heavily fortifying islands like Peleliu and Tarawa, they still lost the US, Chinese and British as soon as they got on their feet
>>
The Pacific War in southeast asia was fucking brutal
>>
>>325704
He sucked.

But coming back to the Philippines wasn't a bad idea.
>>
File: USS Enterprise.jpg (544 KB, 1186x770) Image search: [Google]
USS Enterprise.jpg
544 KB, 1186x770
>>325537
>>
>>326919
I heard that he was the general with the least % of casualties of his men in WW2. Thats gotta count for something
>>
>>326991
in the pacific, where the enemy spends most of the time killing themselves and dying of malnutrition under intense air and artillery bombardment, that was no particular feat
>>
File: image.jpg (199 KB, 950x977) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199 KB, 950x977
>>327300
Could the Japanese have lasted longer if they didn't have their honor culture? It seems to me that their sense of honor really fucked them throughout the war? Not all of their generals and officers must've thought like this
>>
>>327778
No. Japanese industry was so outclassed it's impossible for them not to get curbstomped.
>>
Americans broke the Japanese Naval code. They cheated
>>
>>328318
That's what losers say, anon.
>>
>>325031
burma is in the bay of bengal
>>
>>327778

Quite the opposite, probably. Their rigid sense of honour is part of the reason they lasted so long.
>>
File: Rule America, Rule the Waves.png (21 KB, 791x453) Image search: [Google]
Rule America, Rule the Waves.png
21 KB, 791x453
You can't beat a country with this kind of industrial strength.
Even if every air craft carrier in the fleet had been sunk at Pearl Harbor, they just would have been replaced.
>>
>>328584

Well, unless you can alter the political circumstances surrounding the war so that it's no longer a total war mentality; at that point, you can at least hope to inflict enough damage and be too difficult to dislodge that the U.S. will negotiate with you instead of crushing you.

Amusingly enough, striking at Pearl Harbor is probably what doomed the Japanese, if they had called FDR's bluff and just invaded the NEI, war might have been declared, but it would have been a very different war politically; one that the Japanese would have at least had a chance in.
>>
>>325537
>tfw you will never be a glorious captain of an Iowa-class Battleship
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 1200x840) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 1200x840
>>328575
I've read With the Old Breed, Helmet for my Pillow and Islands of the Damned and their sense of honor was what really made them hold out and give the stiff resistance that they did against the Americans to the bitter end. Those books were fantastic but I'd really love to read some books about British and Aussie eyewitness accounts of the ground war in the Pacific. Finding a book about an eyewitness account of a Japanese soldier would be gold too
>>
>>327778
it was the suicidal charges that made them shit militarily. Sure, it might have been a viable tactic of sorts with bolt-actions but they should have adapted

retarded officer corps from the sounds of it also. But then again, when you're on a surrounded island waiting to die suicide with honor rather doesn't sound like a terribly bad idea
>>
Could the Japanese not have just swept through the pacific without antagonising the USA?
>>
>>328870
Not without oil they couldn't.
>>
>>328835
You are so uninformed, why even bother posting? No one will blame you if you lurk instead of spewing bullshit
>>
>>328594
NEI?
>>
>>329236
Dutch East Indies.
>>
>>327778
'Honor culture' is so broad and permeates Japan at so many levels, and includes Western influences, to such a degree, that to remove it would be to completely rewrite Japanese society at the time.

Sorry if that's not a helpful answer, but it's really the case that the whole way of thinking is so tied together.

It's like wondering if America wouldn't have won if we didn't have a 'Mercantile culture'
>>
>>328594
>Amusingly enough, striking at Pearl Harbor is probably what doomed the Japanese, if they had called FDR's bluff and just invaded the NEI, war might have been declared, but it would have been a very different war politically; one that the Japanese would have at least had a chance in.
The NEI were ancillary to Japan's war goals. They were only invaded because they were essentially an Anglo-American protectorate, and provided useful basing.
>>
>>329058
can you tell me how it's uninformed to say that banzai was a terrible military strategy which often put Japanese losses in the red even when they were defending?

please, tell me why this ain't so
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.