[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baudrillard general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: lecharlatan.jpg (7 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
lecharlatan.jpg
7 KB, 199x253
I've been reading a lot of pic related and it seems there is a major change between his earlier and later works, my question is: is resistance a possibility in his work? Can we ever break from the simulacra? His later work The Agony of Power makes me think that his philosophy can be reconciled with some sort of autonomist resistance.
>Baudrillard general
>>
Postmodernism has eaten itself and been shat back out.
>>
>>323557
nice try Habermas
>>
Baudrillard, along with Barthes, Derrida, Foucault etc, illustrates the key weakness of the French intellectual left: their refusal to acknowledge human reality.

The basic idea that everything is a simulacrum was robustly refuted by the Anglo Saxon tradition in philosophy. It is either dishonest, or if seriously meant, false.

He was an intellectual charlatan,Philip K Dick without the pills
>>
>>323589
the way you lump figures with some radically different views makes me think that you have read and understood none of them.
>>
>>323617
It's almost like that itself is the point.
>>
>>323626
The irony is Baudrillard only helped his readers to pretend that ignorance is profound understanding.

The best philosophy helps you to understand the world around you, or, as Marx urged, to change it
>>
>>323529
>Can we ever break from the simulacra?

Not really, according to himself, unless capitalism ends, which is unlikely.
>>
File: perfect crime.jpg (11 KB, 207x320) Image search: [Google]
perfect crime.jpg
11 KB, 207x320
>>323589

lol it's obvious you haven't read anything by Baudrillard.

I suggest you read The Perfect Crime, because he elucidates there he outlines the death of reality.

It's not that reality never existed or that it doesn't exist, but that it has been overtaken by the First, Second and Third Order Simulacra. Symbolic exchange which is what semiotically reality was for all of us up until the 20th century has all but been overtaken.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~dmann/baudrillard1.htm

There is also a Fourth Order Simulcra were critique of "reality" or even apereance is impossible.

This isn't idealist or even a relativistic thesis, but a critique on the economy of meaning and signs.
>>
>>323643
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation

The definition given in the wikipedia article for Simulacra sounds akin to Deleuze's description of Foucault's methodology: i.e. transversing origin and truth - maybe Outer Limits might gleefully shitpost to correct a misunderstanding here, though
>>
>>323644
This is why I brought up the Agony of Power he suggests that power can be overturned from the outside. Idk most of Baudrillard's work is bleak and nihilistic perhaps I am being optimistic in hoping that Baudrillard can be reconciled with a Deleuzian/Negri resistance.
>>
>>323671
Well most of post-modern critique of society is bleak and nihilistic, which shouldn't be surprising since most of recent continental philosophy has it's origins in Nietzsche.

>he suggests that power can be overturned from the outside

I doubt he actually believed that was true when he wrote it.
>>
>>323684
>I doubt he actually believed that was true when he wrote it.
Why
>>
>>323705
Because someone who believed capitalism literally created an alternate reality inside our heads I submit, wouldn't believe himself saying that it's possible to destroy that superstructure.
>>
File: 1448085084560.jpg (83 KB, 1732x668) Image search: [Google]
1448085084560.jpg
83 KB, 1732x668
>>323735
>>
>>323754
What's that pic supposed to mean?
>>
>>323759
Exactly.
>>
Baudrillard is my nihilistic counterpart (bemoaning reversibility as rendering all our efforts pointless, instead of glorifying it as an essential and ingenious mechanism of an astonishingly well-designed and world-encompassing game), as Schopenhauer was Nietzsche's (lambasting the will as something reprehensible that's worthy of being "negated", instead of celebrating it as the most spiritual manifestation and justification of existence). And in both cases the healthy philosophy follows closely on the heels of the nihilistic one (indeed, was inspired partly by it) within a margin of a mere couple of decades. I am convinced that this is no coincidence.

Kulisz is incensed with child abuse. Plank with "slaughter that goes on for generations". Baudrillard with jogging, exercising, and any healthy activity whatsoever. Every little retard has his own stupid little pet peeve. How can you take them seriously as men and leaders of the future when you see them get so massively hung up on such trivial stuff?

-Nietzsche
>>
>>323826

>writing reviews for video-games is the same as negating Baudrillards theory of the simulacrum.

No, just no.
>>
>>323735

The 9/11 attacks made him develop Reversability and Fatal Theories. Globalization eats it's own flesh, and therefore could collapse from it's own contradictions.

Globalized capitalism and the world of simulation isn't set in stone, nor that it is the apex of human representation.

Also he has the theory of the object, which is very similar to Derrida's hauntology. The objects refusing to obey representation and cannot be tied down by human thought, and as a result haunts the world of commodity as a "spectre".

http://www2.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol5_1/v5-1-article19-teh.html
>>
>>323929
Thanks for coming to this thread this was very informative
>>
>>323890
He destroys the simulacrum, his video game theories are part of it but they are secondary.

Icycalm returns us to reality with his Immersion theory but you must have actually read his books to realize how he defeated post-modernism.
>>
>>323759
Just ignore him, he's a stormfag.
>>
>>323661
intellectual trash, anglo-american empiricism/pragmatism or GTFO with you pathetic armchair theories that are no better than fortune telling
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.