[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /his/ do you guys think that Europe colonizing the world was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (49 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
image.png
49 KB, 1425x625
So /his/ do you guys think that Europe colonizing the world was a bad or good thing for it.
>>
bad and good are useless categories when examining history
>>
>>322914
Fair enough I should've probably stated it as did the goods of spreading the knowledge of the Europeans out way the cost of the destruction of the homogeneous cultures of the area taken over
>>
>>322910
define good
define bad
>>
>>322925
Did the good of the European knowledge out way the bad of the homogeneous culture and history being destroyed
>>
>>322936
culture and history is for faggots
>>
I don't think domination and subjugation are good things no.
>>
>>322945
t.irish-germano-italic american
>>
>>322970

>"1/16th Cherokee"
>gets dreamcatcher/wolf combo tattoo
>>
>>322910
It caused a lot of suffering but also a lot of progress
>>
>>322945
>/his/ - History and Humanities
>>
I wouldn't say so, though it really varies from place to place, and it's not like Europeans were the only people fucking up the world.

It's really impossible to say. For some people (eg. native Americans) it was nothing but shit, for others (eg. many Africans) it improved things to some extent while still leaving an awful legacy, while for others (eg. Indians) it's pretty hard to say whether they'd have been better off without it. Plus you have to consider the likes of the Chinese who were never actually colonized, but were fucked over as much as anyone else.
>>
Depends. From my native point of view it's mixed
>>
>>322936
>Implying homogeneous culture isn't a good thing

It's like you want people to kill each other for no reason.
>>
>>322910
>So /his/ do you guys think that Europe colonizing the world was a bad or good thing for it.
It was probably the best thing to ever happen. Some of my ancestry would be African spear throwers, some other would be lazy natives sleeping in hammocks and some others would be inbreed pig farmers if colonization would not had happen.
>>
>>322910
Not any more or less than the Mongol conquests, Muslim expansions and other empires.
>>
That map is wrong, in 1800 France included Belgium and the Rhineland, and also Louisiana.
>>
>>322910
Good for technological progress, bad for humans.
>>
Good for the world, bad for Europe.
>>
>>322936
>out way
outweigh
God damn if we're going to have intellectual discussions and a civilized board, learn your fucking homophones.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.