[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the Mesopotamian culture disappear? It seemed still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: mesopotamia.jpg (76 KB, 640x647) Image search: [Google]
mesopotamia.jpg
76 KB, 640x647
When did the Mesopotamian culture disappear? It seemed still flourishing during Alexander's conquest and was still distinct during the rule of Antioch III.

Who wrecked it? Late Seleucids? Parthians? Sassanians? Or maybe Arabs?
>>
File: baghdad-museum-us-soldie-0085.jpg (52 KB, 581x390) Image search: [Google]
baghdad-museum-us-soldie-0085.jpg
52 KB, 581x390
USA
>>
Alexander's rape train
Muhammad's rape train
>>
File: Ishtar Gate (575 BC)2.jpg (3 MB, 3146x2142) Image search: [Google]
Ishtar Gate (575 BC)2.jpg
3 MB, 3146x2142
It sort of just slowly died out after Alexander's conquest under the Seleucids and Parthians. It was long dead by the Arab conquest.

If anyone killed it, it was Alexander. It didn't suddenly end under his reign, but he was the one who set in motion the process of Hellenization that ultimately ended Mesopotamian civilization.
>>
>>317124
Hellenization in Mesopotamia was rather shallow and never extended beyond a few cities.
>>
>>317109
Stormin' Norman's rape train.
Baby Bush's rape train.
Abu Bakr's rape train.
>And coming soon...
Putin's rape train.
>>
Alexander did. His conquest Hellenised that region and wiped away the vestiges of the old civilisation. Same in Egypt.

They weren't "flourishing" though. They were just the petrified corpses of civilisations that had been dead for a thousand years.
>>
>>317175
>that had been dead for a thousand years.

Dude, Nebuchadnezzar lived just 200 years before Alexander.
>>
>>317195
Yeah but Mesopotamian culture was long dead by then.

For a culture to be alive means it keeps changing. If it's static it's dead.
>>
File: Babylon reconstruction 2.jpg (166 KB, 1279x804) Image search: [Google]
Babylon reconstruction 2.jpg
166 KB, 1279x804
>>317246
That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>317246
Nebuchadnezzar's times are universally considered the apex of Mesopotamian civilization. Absolute height of economic, cultural and scientific importance. The fabulous view of riches of Babylon dates precisely from his home reign.
>>
>>317096
I think the nail was put in the coffin by the Arabs. Mesopotamian culture was still alive, though declining vastly, during the Sasanian dynasty, and some the of the last temples to Ashur were built then. After that, there are no records of anyone adhering to Assyrian or Babylonian religion or culture.
>>
>>317096
The Timurids, after the death of Timur the assyrians were mostly eradicated.
>>
>>317096
Honestly it's hard to say, the natives were christianized and later marginalized by arab and turkic immigration, but in some way it's not dead yet because some Assyrians have resisted islamification and arabization, they still speak Aramaic (albeit neo aramaic) and still have ancient mesopotamian names and kept their traditions etc
I'd consider it still alive in a way but the 'end' you're looking for might be after the region was arabized later on in the middle ages
>>
>>317755
This, it's funny when people think Muslims killed the Assyrians because they automatically assume it was the Arabs when in reality it was the Mongols, albeit, Timur was a fanatic Muslim.
>>
I'm native Mesopotamian and I'm just waiting for paleogenetic data to come through and prove I'm Assyria's rightful heir so I can kick the Kurds and Arabs out. The most likely scenario though is that we die out.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.