[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about Ta Nehisi Coates?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: tnc.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
tnc.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
What does he get right and what does he get wrong? Does he point out uncomfortable truths about American history or is he just a vehicle for self-flagellating white progressives to get off on themselves?
>>
Everything he says in 100% true
>>
A lot of what he writes about is factually true but his ideological spin is suspect. His argument for reparations is poor, his idea of "white supremacy" is silly and overly-academic. His writing is very poor. At his best he's valuable for explaining things like post-War housing policy but that stuff isn't groundbreaking work or anything -- anyone slightly familiar with radical politics should have known of that stuff way before Coates started writing, so I don't see what his value as an intellectual is except
> a vehicle for self-flagellating white progressives to get off on themselves

And no matter what you think of him otherwise, Steve Sailer totally savaged Coates.
>>
>>471568

Do you have a link?
>>
Denial of black experience is possibly the most prevalent form of racism around today.

Any time a black person attempts to articulate their condition, their history or existence there will always be a white person on hand to dismiss it as self-pity, 'reverse racism' or whatever else.
>>
>>471856
WE
>>
>>471856
funny how arguments about racism follow according to progressives
>make argument
>refutations to said argument are now counted as evidence in favor

>>471783
http://takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/print#axzz3vZ8X8w5S

I do suspect Sailer is an actual racist and that comes through in his writing so I'm no unqualified support of him but he is one of the best commentators going today and he's pretty spot on and devastating in his criticism here.
>>
>>471568
>And no matter what you think of him otherwise, Steve Sailer totally savaged Coates.

>>472364
>I do suspect Sailer is an actual racist and that comes through in his writing so I'm no unqualified support of him but he is one of the best commentators going today and he's pretty spot on and devastating in his criticism here.

I read this article and wonder if Steve has ever been a teenaged boy, or if he simply sprang fully formed from the same vat they grew Mark Steyn in.

http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

https://pando.com/2015/02/27/the-war-nerd-why-did-mohammed-emwazi-become-jihadi-john/
>>
File: straight-hall-occupation.jpg (119 KB, 510x321) Image search: [Google]
straight-hall-occupation.jpg
119 KB, 510x321
A mediocre author that cucks pretend to like because otherwise they would be considered "racist". His whole work is an elaborate form of "gibsmedat".
>>
>>471492
DUDE EVERYTHING BLACK PEOPLE DO IS A RESULT OF EVIL RACIST WHITES LMAO
>>
File: David Brooks.jpg (90 KB, 1012x1012) Image search: [Google]
David Brooks.jpg
90 KB, 1012x1012
>>471492

He freaked out David Brooks, so he can't be all that bad.
>>
In what sense have black people not been given reparations for slavery?
>>
It's unreasonable to blame whites for every problem with blacks. He points out some discriminatory behavior by whites, but his conclusions are simply not on with the evidence.
>>
He doesn't know nearly enough about the world to have anything interesting to say.
>>
>>471492
He's a politician more than a historian.
>>
Just another talking head for the social justice wing of the Democratic party to whip out when they want to attack white people
>>
>>471568
>His writing is very poor.
Do you mean poor as in he's just bad at talking about his subject matter or poor as in you're surprised he even knows how to write at all? I remember someone on Ocho Chan /co/, when he was announced as writer for the Black Panther comic, talking about how they knew someone who's edited his stuff and that pre-editor his stuff is so bad that you'd believe he's functionally illiterate.

Of course that's My Dad Works at Nintendo tier shit but who knows.
>>
>>471568
This, redlining is taught to everyone at this point and has been established scholarship for decades. Nothing he says is original or groundbreaking to people who have read a college-level US history textbook.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.