[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Psychopaths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 640x360
What exactly is a psychopath? And is it true that a lot of leaders, high ranking, and influential people throughout history were psychopaths?
>>
>>458314
a psychopath is anyone who suffers from a mental illness therefore, yes, many people throughout history were psychopaths
>>
>>458322
I thought that psychopathy was more of just a personality type. Since they aren't necessarily psychotic or delusional.
>>
File: 1d4ff4ff3.jpg (102 KB, 570x774) Image search: [Google]
1d4ff4ff3.jpg
102 KB, 570x774
>>458314
>>458322

Psychopaths suffer from Anti Social Personality Disorder.

They often are unable to feel empathy, and have trouble processing many other normal emotions.

They learn to mimic emotions, or manipulate others in order to succeed in their goal at the moment.

Psychopathy is related to a physiological defect that results in the underdevelopment of the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and emotions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20027920
>>
I'm a psychopath but I'm generally a nice person,the only bad thing I did because of my condition is to let a 14 year old girl die and watched her pretending I was a random civilian without medical training.
Why? because her mother was throwing a tantrum on top of her body and people in state of panic drive me violent.
Also I wanted to see how fast would the ambulance get there and pass judgment on the actions of the paramedics.
>>
>>458314
>What exactly is a psychopath?
Depends on who you ask. It's a very controversial issue in psych faculties.
>>
>>458399
are you an emt?
>>
Psychopathy literally means "mental illness". It is basically a buzzword that caught on because it was used by Hollywood writers to mean Antisocial Personality Disorder.

People with ASPD are less than 1% of the population and are socially dysfunctional, although not necessarily murderous. Stories about famous historical figures having suffered of this are like stories of Newton or Einstein being autistic. The idea that some people with Antisocial Personality Disorder could become great politicians, soldiers or businessmen has as much ground as the part of the Wikipedia article on Autism that says autistic people could succeed in fields like engineering.
>>
>>458428
Med student.
>>
>>458314

I don't think psychopathy is a real disorder, its more like how humans act in a position of power and unaccountability.
>>
>>458478
m8 if you don't think >>458399 is fucked up you're fucked in the head.
>>
>>458467

>Newton

>not slightly autistic, or otherwise seriously mentally ill

kek

ASPD isn't an absolute pass-fail threshold. the real question is: do some or even many antisocial personality traits facilitate success in government, business, etc?
>>
>>458531
Obviously when you're not bothered with morally questionable behaviour, it can be an edge. But overall, it entirely depends on how good the mimic are.

Most people think psychopats are sexy charlatans who act like human robots, while there's a bigger chance they'll live on wellfare because they can't act in society.

t. Worked in HR and have a friend who are a psychopath.
>>
>>458467
>>458380
/thread
>>
>>458540

I suppose I'm just suggesting that subclinical ASPD (especially when the symptoms are not weighed in favor of impulsiveness and emotional outbursts), might be advantageous in many careers.

Try to remember that simply being more calloused than average in your processing of charged items illiciting moral emotions, fear, and anxiety is itself a sort of sub-subclinical psychopathy. The etiology varies, but I'm sure many ASPD are just extreme variants on the natural human distribution of temperament and behavior.

A surgeon who won't freak out over gore and risk-taking, a soldier that is particularly 'brave', or an attorney that can relentlessly verbally demolish your opponents has obvious utility towards individuals and society.
>>
>>458510
He's just an edgy dick
>>
Psychopathy can be very very easily defined with the "fearlessness".

Most MMA/UFC fighters are probably psychopaths, as are most EMTs, fighter jet pilots and bomb disposal technicians.

Conversely, most serial killers are also clearly psychopaths.
>>
>>458648
with the word*
>>
>>458554
>>458531
It seems a lot more likely that you-d find lots of people in positions of power who merely rationalize the bad things they do somehow, that you would find people with intrinsically reckless, violent and irresponsible behavior managing to escalate through social ranks in society.

Other than people who were already born at a huge advantage and got daddy to cover up for a couple decades worth of improper behavior, I am not sure about how you would manage to get far with such a mental illness.

I mean, we have seen people rationalizing terrible things through the use of discrimination paradigms on national scales for most of human history. Compare that with a person suffering from a 1 in 100 mental illness also possessing a 1 in 10000 brilliant mind capable of making up for the shortcoming to reach success.
>>
File: I'm cool I'm fine.gif (995 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
I'm cool I'm fine.gif
995 KB, 500x281
>>458399
>only bad thing I did because of my condition is to let a 14 year old girl die and watched her pretending I was a random civilian without medical training.
>only bad thing
I wish you died by firing squad.
>>
>>458399
you sound like asshole
>>
Psychopathy, like most mental illnesses, is defined upon a spectrum, not a binary; there is a threshold of characteristics one must meet in order to be considered a psychopath, but it comes in all manners of degree. Most everyone possesses at least one or two traits associated with anti-social personality disorder; a "psychopath" is someone with a pathologically severe cluster of these traits.
>>
>>458314
Ted a cutie
>>
File: 1419860816489.jpg (82 KB, 752x1052) Image search: [Google]
1419860816489.jpg
82 KB, 752x1052
>>458380
>muh DSM

you do understand that your little book and mris are nothing but comparisons, between two people, of extrapolations of brain activity ?
>>
>>458833
It's just one person anon. They were replaced ten times over in under a minute.
>>
>>459976
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/25/science/la-sci-sn-psychopaths-empathy-20130724

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4059069/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1029%26context%3Dthemis&ved=0ahUKEwjUxfDqsfbJAhVLSSYKHTnmDPUQFggsMAM&usg=AFQjCNHkW2YsZjiC6dvEKi6cAv13-iOB2w&sig2=RcKDO-fJp3WZsP9eIuy5Hw

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2013/oct/15/brain-imaging-research-conducted-on-prisoners/

http://m.jnnp.bmj.com/content/71/6/720.full.html

There are many studies that have used MRI to compare the brain activity of the relatively "normal" to the brain activity of violent offenders and psychopaths.

It's just one of many tools that are being used to try to better understand psychopathy and attempt to find effective treatments, for those who are open to treatment.
>>
>>458314
It's defined by a lack of emotional empathy, basically.
>>
>>460336
Is it true that psychopaths are impossible to treat with therapy?
>>
>>460705
no, we could educate them about objective morality and why it is a good idea to follow it even if you have no emotional motivation to do so, but normies prefer their sentimentalism based morality because most of their delusions depend on it
>>
>>460717
>>460705

This, basically....some are resistant and manipulative in therapy settings. Some are open to change or to finding out how they can better interract with others and have "healthier"lives.

You don't have to be sentimental to realize that there are times that having more "healthy" relationships and interractions with the world iwould be more beneficial for all parties involved.
>>
File: reqtofuckafatty.jpg (50 KB, 620x896) Image search: [Google]
reqtofuckafatty.jpg
50 KB, 620x896
Imagine if this guy became a psychopath? I imagine he could get away with killing hundreds,
>>
But is psychopathy a mental illness, or is it just another type of personality.
>>
>>460717
>Educate them about objective morality

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>462792
Why are his eyes looking in different directions though?
>>
File: b8.jpg (5 KB, 250x215) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
5 KB, 250x215
>>458322
>a psychopath is anyone who suffers from a mental illness
>>
>>460717
>objective morality
AAHAHAHAHAHA
Anon, I know it´s hard to accept, but these people don´t give a single shit about anything, especially about morales.
Even if objective morales (a paradoxon per definitionem) existed, they still wouldn´t care.
Don´t you get? They are uncurable empty shells, only their body is physical, the rest doesn´t exist anymore.
They can only be locked or sedated and trained to use their disability for "good", i.e. surgeon, soldier, NASCAR pilot, etc.
>>
normies

NORMIES

NNNNNNOOOOOOORRRRRRRMMMMIIIIEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
File: le_autistic_finnman_meme.jpg (4 KB, 175x200) Image search: [Google]
le_autistic_finnman_meme.jpg
4 KB, 175x200
>>467359
Care to extrapolate your opinion, friend?
I fear your post does not serve a point, but maybe I am mistaken, so enlighten me, please.
>>
>>467585
all normies are psychopaths
>>
>>458399
spergy edgelord!=psychopath
muh feelings about her mother and the way you handle problems arent psychopathic
>>
>>458467
>that says autistic people could succeed in fields like engineering.
You have no idea anon...
>>
>>462830
It's sure as fuck a mental illness.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.