[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was it so shitty? Or I suppose to be fairer on it. Why was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
Why was it so shitty?

Or I suppose to be fairer on it. Why was it really mediocre?
>>
They lost the Austro-Prussian war and gave into the ethnic group that would have given them the most trouble. If they didn't it would have fallen apart.
>>
>>3154
It was a cultural melting pot and they didnt have a good military that could unify in the clutch. Otherwise it was actually a good place to live.
>>
>>3154
My empire-fu :_;

>Pic related, what could have been
>>
>>3840
fugg
>>
>>3840
>>3859
http://i.imgur.com/zYJoO0q.jpg

Is posting images from an online source no longer working?
>>
>>3154

Trying to let two ethnicities govern over dozens is a bad idea, in general.

If you visit the WWI section of the Vienna army museum you'll find out that part of their fuckups were due to Germanophone officers being the head of units in which they were lucky if they all spoke the same language without anyone understanding German.
>>
File: 1445862489695.png (326 KB, 520x535) Image search: [Google]
1445862489695.png
326 KB, 520x535
They couldn't handle any banter
>>
File: zYJoO0q.jpg (421 KB, 2000x1547) Image search: [Google]
zYJoO0q.jpg
421 KB, 2000x1547
>>3884
>terrorists in charge of technology
>>
>Once upon a time, a lovely young princess named Maria Krystyna lived in a castle, where she read books from the end to the beginning. Then came the Nazis, and after them, the Stalinists. This book is the story of her family, and so it begins with an ending.

>An hour before midnight on the eighteenth of August 1948, a Ukrainian colonel lay dead in a Soviet prison in Kiev. He had been a spy in Vienna, working first against Hitler during the Second World War and then against Stalin in the early cold war. He had eluded the Gestapo, but not Soviet counterintelligence. One day the Ukrainian colonel told colleagues that he was going out for lunch, and he was never seen in Vienna again. He was kidnapped by Red Army soldiers, flown to the Soviet Union, and interrogated beyond endurance. He died in the prison hospital and was buried in an unmarked grave.

>The Ukrainian colonel had an older brother. He too was a colonel, he too had resisted the Nazis. For his courage, he had spent the war in German prisons and camps. The torturers of the Gestapo had left half of his body paralyzed and one of his eyes useless. Returning home after the Second World War, he tried to claim the family estate. The property was in Poland, and the older brother was Polish. Having been seized by the Nazis in 1939, the estate was
confiscated again by the communists in 1945. Knowing that his family had a German background, his Nazi interrogators had wanted him to admit that he was racially German. This he had refused to do. Now he heard the same argument from the new communist regime. He was racially a German, they said, and so had no right to land in the new Poland. What the Nazis had taken, the communists would keep.
>>
>>4244
>Meanwhile, the Polish colonel's children were having problems adapting to the new communist order. In applications to medical school, his daughter had to define the family's social class. The options included working class, peasantry, and intelligentsia—the standard categories of a Marxist bureaucracy. After a long hesitation, the puzzled young lady wrote "Habsburg." This was true. The medical school applicant was the young princess, Maria Krystyna Habsburg. Her father, the Polish colonel, and her uncle, the Ukrainian colonel, were Habsburg princes, descendants of emperors, members of Europe's grandest family.
>>
>>4021
i tought kosice was almost full magyar back then
>>
>>
>flags removed

ooh
>>
It was exactly that: mediocre.
Some areas were well developed, some were among poorest in Europe.
It was semi-absolute monarchy and only thing that kept it together was the monarch.
>>
>>3154
Because everytime a capable leader came around he was hamstrung by the Hungarians.
>>
>>3154

It wasn't a country based on an ethnicity. So when say, Slovenes were fighting the Italians on the Isonzo front, the morale was pretty low, since you were fighting for some yodeling kaiser from Vienna.
>>
>>4270
Moar? Is this from a book?
>>
>>5189
The morale amongst Slovenians in particular tended to be relatively high, since most of them didn't want to end up as an Italian province after the war. For Tyroleans it was practically the same, as they were defending their home turf. The situation was entirely different for Poles or Ukrainians stationed in the alps however, I'll give you that.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.