[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Korea divided in two?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: korean_peninsula.gif (256 KB, 1006x1234) Image search: [Google]
korean_peninsula.gif
256 KB, 1006x1234
Why was Korea divided in two?
>>
>>314142
>i cant read history books
>>
File: 34.jpg (79 KB, 604x467) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
79 KB, 604x467
Mosley couldn't save it
>>
>>314142
Well there was no reason for it to be divided into three or four.
>>
>>314142
Google it you fucking inbred.

"Korean War"
>>
>>314180

>1st Korea to the Soviet sphere
>2nd Korea to the Chinese sphere
>3rd Korea to the Japanese sphere
>4th Korea to the American sphere

It could work
>>
>>314236
>Giving part of Korea to Japan and expecting the gooks and nips to get along without any problems
It's like you don't know that Japan is Korea's nemesis
>>
Korea was a part of Japan during WW2. At one point during the war, both the USSR and USA invaded Korea from the north and south side respectively, which split the country between their control. Following the end of WW2, Korea still stayed divided between North and South, in a manner similar to East and West Germany.

Unlike East and West Germany, they never ended up reunifying, because neither side wants to join the other, so a democratic merger a la Germany was impossible. Military conquest of the other side was the only possibility for reunification, and thus the Korean War erupted.. However, because North Korea was backed by China and South Korea was backed by the US, the war ended in nothing more than a stalemate.
>>
>>314142
Basically the Soviets annihilated the Japs in Manchuria, but the Americans wrecked the Japs in Japan with their nukes.

So they decided to go halfsies on Korea in the end of WW2 to make it fair.
>>
>>314281
>Unlike East and West Germany, they never ended up reunifying, because neither side wants to join the other, so a democratic merger a la Germany was impossible. Military conquest of the other side was the only possibility for reunification, and thus the Korean War erupted.. However, because North Korea was backed by China and South Korea was backed by the US, the war ended in nothing more than a stalemate.

Both sides want a unified country, I 'm talking about the peoples. The problem is that Korea wasn't as important as central Europe. Now, with China at the verge of superpower, we may see a reunification scenario. See how the western media have for the past 5 or so years turned their attention around N.Korea. A movie even came out about it. S.Korea, like Germany, is on the borders of the """"""communist""""" world and Russia, which was for many years thought of as the Empire in Star Wars by the U.S.
And don't forget that the collapse of the Soviet union came right after reforms that moved those societies a little closer to the western version of capitalism.
>>
>>314373
>Both sides want a unified country, I 'm talking about the peoples.
Originally they did, but South Koreans don't want unification anymore. The cost of rebuilding the North would be immesne.
>>
>>314142
Because America has to have its empire.
>>
Muh 37th paralel

>dwight
>>
>>314388
do you think that they learned from Germany? I mean do you think they were considerate of the case of Germany?

The people don't want reunification?
>>
>>314281
>because neither side wants to join the other

The only people that didn't want unification was America and its puppet dictators. The Korean situation is identical to the Vietnamese situation- Americans knew the Korean commies had the most popular support so they invaded, installed a dictatorship, and then blame the locals for everything.

>>314388
False.
>>
>>314431
>The only people that didn't want unification was America and its puppet dictators. The Korean situation is identical to the Vietnamese situation- Americans knew the Korean commies had the most popular support so they invaded, installed a dictatorship, and then blame the locals for everything.

You're misunderstanding. I don't mean that neither side wants reunification, I mean that neither side wants to join and submit to the other's economic and government style. Kimmy doesn't want to lose his dictatorship and South Koreans don't want to submit to North Korea's totalitarian systems. As opposed to Germany, where just about everyone in East Germany wanted to rejoin the West under their leadership.
>>
>>314450
you 're conflating the, because honneker didn't want to lose his priviledges either
>>
>>314456
>privelages
You are mistaken. The nato>warsaw mentality stemmed nostly from money and economic oppurotunites.
>>
>>314450
I see what you mean now. Although, not sure if you knew this as I just discovered it a few weeks ago, Kim Il-Sung actually drafted a proposal for reunification that was effectively a temporary two-nation state called the Confederal Republic of Koryo.

Also, "just about everyone in East Germany" is an overstatement.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/homesick-for-a-dictatorship-majority-of-eastern-germans-feel-life-better-under-communism-a-634122.html
>>
>>314469
a political leader wants to lose their power? when did that happen?
>>
>>314610
I misread your post and typing from my phone i cant really contribute
>>
>>314142
Murica and Stalin agreed to post-war elections to determine the future of Korea.

North held biased elections in which communists won.

South held biased elections in which capitalists won.

Murica and Stalin supported their puppets.

Stalin's puppet struck first, but in the end the status quo prevailed till today.
>>
Because of communism.
>>
Cause China needs a border state and you can't out-crazy Mao.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.