[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Americans an ethnicity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 236x307) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 236x307
Are Americans an ethnicity?
>>
File: American girl.jpg (680 KB, 1267x1600) Image search: [Google]
American girl.jpg
680 KB, 1267x1600
>>312781
Uh, kinda. Depends om what you think is an ethnicity.
>PopCorn Sutton
He was his own species entirely
>>
Is African-American an ethnicity?
>>
No. Yankees are. Dixies are, but they're pretty spread out and interbred at this point. In the modern world, the ease of travel means that ethnicities dissolve, not form.
>>
File: AJ.jpg (116 KB, 1200x1385) Image search: [Google]
AJ.jpg
116 KB, 1200x1385
>>312781
Scots-Irish are the typical "American" stock.
>>
>>312781
America's is the only culture I've ever known, the only place I've ever lived, and all my great-grandparents were Americans. What use do I have clinging to a foreign culture that's completely lost on me?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzlvvD_7s

There are different American ethnicities. Popcorn Sutton would be considered a "hillbilly" or one from Appalachia. Video related
>>
Well, because the two largest racial groups in America (I'm not including Hispanic as a racial group, because that's retarded) are multi-ethnic and multi-racial (really just the "African"-Americans), maybe?
>>
>>312781
Some Americans are. During the brief history of colonizations many new ethnicities have been created in Murrika (Think black seminoles and lousiana creoles).
Given a few centuries time I can see dank cultures and etnich groups emerging.
>>
>>312781
No. Original americans were mostly english with scottish, dutch and german minorities. Today it's a multiethnic mess, with english and germans being the most numerous.
>>
>>312781
American is a nationality. America is composed of a melting pot of ethnicities.
>>
>>316777
Mostly niggers
>>
>>313271
totally wrong. majority of americans are of german descent, especially in the midwest
>>
>>316782
they have a fair amount of white blood in them

>58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5% European ancestry (equivalent of one great-grandparent);
>19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25% European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent);
>1 percent of African Americans have at least 50% European ancestry (equivalent of one parent) (Gates is one of these, he discovered, having a total of 51% European ancestry among various distant ancestors); and
>5 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5% Native American ancestry (equivalent to one great-grandparent).[21]
>>
>>312781
>one constitution and a few markets is an ethnicity
>>
>>316885
He means scots-Irish Americans identify as ethnically american.
>>
>>316992
that was not clear in his post at all tho
>>
File: america 2.jpg (94 KB, 879x715) Image search: [Google]
america 2.jpg
94 KB, 879x715
>>316892
still niggers though.
>>
>>316885
>majority of americans are of german descent
This based on self-reported stats, which in these cases are largely unreliable. English is the largest ethnic group in the US. The problem is that people "identify" with whatever ethnic group last assimilated. The fact is that since the English have been here the longest, it makes sense that they have the most descendants.
>>
Americans are either Celtisised Germans or Germanisised Celts. I'm English and Americans look nothing like us.
>>
File: Bing.jpg (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Bing.jpg
40 KB, 800x600
>>317643
>I'm English and Americans look nothing like us.

Really now.
>>
>>317643
>Germanicized Celts
That describes England better than America, lad
>>
>>317606
>The problem is that people "identify" with whatever ethnic group last assimilated
I don't know what this means. germans have been assimilated for a long time. and if anything, a lot suppressed their identity after world war one anti-german hysteria
>>
>>317663
But we've become a distinct separate ethnicity from either. There are distinctly English facial features that are instantly recognisable in a crowd (yes, that includes doughy baby faces).

>>317659
What does Bing Crosby have to do with that? While Englishmen provided the foundation breeding stock for what Americans are now, its extremely diluted now outside a few examples. When I watch American shows there are very few characters that look like they would blend in on an English street.
>>
File: ?.png (3 KB, 310x253) Image search: [Google]
?.png
3 KB, 310x253
>>317687
>When I watch American shows there are very few characters that look like they would blend in on an English street.

You're trusting TELEVISION to accurately portray our country?

m8...
>>
>>317681
Most Europeans in the US are mixed, and when they're asked "what ethnicity are you" they'd respond with whichever group they're descended from last assimilated.

For example, if someone was a German/English/Italian mix, he'd probably put "Italian" on those self-reported stats. For a lot of people, that group is Germans (and Irish too).
>>
I'd say they're two.

Dixies and Yanks.
>>
>>317751
maybe in the south and the north east, but the almost all of the mid west was settled by germans in the 1800s senpai.
>>
America is a country of liberty, a meeting of immigrants. Instead of simply assimilating, its citizens live alongside others.
>>
>>313330
Exactly why I don't want to stay in Australia. I'm a refugee but this is the only life I know, my specific ethnicity is sparse in my homeland and I don't have a country for my people to flourish. I can go back to them but life will be shit and I don't fit in our I stay here and genocide my people by melting away.
>>
>>317784
Germans and Yanks, lad
>>
Imagine over the course of 2000 years what kind of people this melting pot will have. Their would be a unique American look I would think.

Native American + British Irish + German + Some African
>>
>>316885

more Americans are English or Scots-Irish, white southerners are almost completely Brit in their heritage but they just put down "white American" on their census forms because that's how they think of themselves.
>>
>>317871
You a Rhodie?
>>
>>312781
No, they are a nationality.
>>
File: perry21.jpg (1 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
perry21.jpg
1 MB, 2000x3000
>>312781

Yes
>>
>>317900
Very few Americans are Scots Irish.

Whilst lots of Americans are of English descent, the ones that identify exclusively as American take no notice in that fact so it's pointless to identify them as such.
>>
File: 1438188052360.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
1438188052360.png
182 KB, 442x341
If you say American, I will immediately think some kind of mudblood brown eyed semi-anglo. Either that or a nigger.
>>
File: cluster.png (4 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
cluster.png
4 MB, 5000x5000
Genetically white Americans usually cluster with central/west Europeans, they aren't diverse enough to have their own cluster.
>>
File: charlottesville fox hunt.jpg (269 KB, 889x667) Image search: [Google]
charlottesville fox hunt.jpg
269 KB, 889x667
>>317947

>the ones that identify exclusively as American take no notice in that fact so it's pointless to identify them as such.

It's actually very helpful, because they've kept alive a host of English traditions like fox hunting, tea ceremonies, and Georgian architecture.
>>
>>317900
>white southerners are almost completely Brit
im sure that's also wrong. the south was famous for having a multiethnic settler population in the 1700s, including germans, scotch irish and even some italians and french. louisiana is historically french, texas has a lot, maybe even a majority, whites of german descent.
>>
>>317901
Assyrian, we had a military that served under Britain within Iraq then we got massacred by the Iraqi army for appearing as if we wanted to break up Iraq with Britain.

They didn't attack our military though, they attacked unarmed women, children and villages.
>>
Scots-Irish are literally white niggers.

>fat
>poor
>most illiterate
>meth use
>alcoholism
>teen pregnancies

You oughta go to Texas where the Germans, the Czechs, even some of the Mexicans just assimilated into normal human beings while the Scots-Irish still remain niggers.

Also fun fact, when the Scots-Irish were settling the Carolinas, some of them literally went feral and started living in the woods like animals.
>>
>>318036
http://www.scotland.org/about-scotland/facts-about-scotland/population-of-scotland/
>99%
>>
>>318035
Fucking Iraqis. I was just saying in another thread about how you guys should get your own state
>>
>>318071
Haha well, it's definitely something that we've tried a million times before but Iraq doesn't exist anymore, it's now KURDISTAN.
>>
File: westover.jpg (3 MB, 3208x2408) Image search: [Google]
westover.jpg
3 MB, 3208x2408
>>318006

You're right that there were pockets of Germans throughout the South, but they were a small minority in every state but Texas (and the western parts where they predominated I don't think qualify as fully "Southern"). The South is far, far more English than German.

As for the others with the exception of Louisiana and bits of the Mississippi watershed, the French were mostly confined to cities like Charleston. The Taliaferros and a handful of other Italians settled in Virginia but they didn't really form communities and most converted to a protestant branch and adopted the local culture. I don't know of any large historic Italian communities in the South except in New Orleans.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.