[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vikings, the series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: vikings.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vikings.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
What's /his/'s thoughts on this show?
Have they been able to achieve a balance of historical accuracy and entertainment?
Or do you think they have just shat on such an important era of medieval Britannia?
>>
>>312333

Bad show.
>>
>>312333
Complete garbage
>>
Absolute dogshit.
>>
>>312333
>historical accuracy
Its mythology, not history. It doesn't even try to be historical since its based on Ragnar's saga. Next you'll be saying Beowulf or GoT is historical.

I don't get /his/'s hardon against the show, and yet we love The Last Kingdom. TLK is explicitly historical fiction and has the worst fucking costumes ever. Alfred was wearing a fucking Chinese robe in the last ep.

There will NEVER be a show that is historically accurate enough, so just get over it and enjoy it for what it is.
>>
>>312396

The characters were bland, the plotwists predecible and the show itself was boring.
That what I have agaisnt it.
I have not watch the Last Kingdom.
>>
>>312333
As a Norman I refuse to accept that sack of shit is my Primogenitor.
>>
>>312500
>As a Norman
TOPKEK
There are no Normans left m8
>>
>>312500
>as a Norman
As a Scythian I disagree.
>>
>>312516
>>312518
Not him but are you guys genuinely retarded?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Normandy
>>
>>312516

You know, there is a whole place named Normandy whose inhabitants are called Normans.
>>
>>312523
>>312528

I guess that makes Romanians Romans too then
>>
>>312516
Huh. I didn't know Upper Normandy ceased to exist decades ago.
>>
>>312532
How is that even a proper analogy? Romania just adopted that name while Normandy is where Normans actually fucking come from.
>>
Isn't that Viking history by SJWs? Including keks?
>>
>>312532

Emmm... No... That makes them Romanians, as you said.
Romans live in Rome.
>>
>>312396
When in talking historical accuracy, I'm not talking events or people, I'm talking things like society, culture, weapons, armor, basically the design of what's used to depict what things looked like in those times.
>>
>>312537
Normandy also still retains their own unique dialect. Some more archaic words are left over, although I don't speak any of it.

Sucks when grandparents don't pass on the language or most of the culture when emigrating.
>>
>>312537
Whatever. FYROMacedonians then. Having the name doesn't mean shit if the ethnicity is super diluted.
>>
>>312333
>Have they been able to achieve a balance of historical accuracy and entertainment?

No and no.

It's just a show for viking fanboys to boost ratings,

One this is done they'll probably make one about Ninjas or Samurai. Or Spartans.
>>
>>312550
>Normandy still exists
>the population and/or identity never got replaced by another one
>Norman language still exists
>BUT NORMANS DON'T EXIST REEE
>>
File: Rollo_statue_in_falaise.jpg (1 MB, 2112x2816) Image search: [Google]
Rollo_statue_in_falaise.jpg
1 MB, 2112x2816
>>312553
>Super diluted

M8 if anything Norman blood is strong considering how far we spread and how deeply we permeated the European collective genepool.

Truly we are French and not Danish- we excelled at killing and fucking.
>>
>>312333
As a source of historical accuracy? Awful.
As a primer to the Norse Saga? It's a barbarization.
As an admittedly romanticized drama with slight Viking themes thrown on top like overpriced seasoning? It's okay.
>>
>shieldmaidens
>>
>>312630
>As an admittedly romanticized drama with slight Viking themes thrown on top like overpriced seasoning? It's okay.
This. I enjoyed it but never treated it as being serious historical work.

>The qt pronunciations of things and names like Sigge.
>>
There are many historical inaccuracies with this show. If the history channel were good, I'd be taken aback with surprise.
Moreover the "entertainment" portion of the show is pretty bad. It's below Game of Thrones, which is saying something.

And there doesn't have to be a "balance" of entertainment and historic accuracy on opposite ends of the spectrum. Historic fiction doesn't have only so many points to spend in facts and in fun.

And it's not like people aren't interested in learning. A huge chunk of online content has education in it. Even stuf for entertainment.
>>
The two queens are hot as fuck.
>>
File: AREIZOO 100x100.gif (11 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
AREIZOO 100x100.gif
11 KB, 100x100
REMEMBER WHEN THE MARIAN HYMN "SALVE REGINA", DATED TO NO EARLIER THAN THE ELEVENTH CENTURY C E , WAS FEATURED IN THE EPISODE IN WHICH RAGNAR LOTHBROCK WAS DEPICTED INVADING PARIS, AN EVENT WHICH OCCURRED IN THE YEAR EIGHTHUNDRED FORTYFIVE C E ; ID EST: IN THE NINTH CENTURY C E ?
>>
>balance of historical accuracy and entertainment
See that's the thing, those aren't actually mutually exclusive. Yet they managed to ruin both.

The Paris part for example was absolute garbage totally unrelated to what actually happened. And you can't even say it was for entertainment, read up on the 888 siege of Paris and you'll see what actually happened was ten times more epic.
>>
>>312333
shit
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.