[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hear Pope Benedict XVI was an amazing theologian, and talents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: pope-benedict-1-sized.jpg (17 KB, 201x299) Image search: [Google]
pope-benedict-1-sized.jpg
17 KB, 201x299
I hear Pope Benedict XVI was an amazing theologian, and talents were overshadowed by his lack of charisma.

What theological contributions has Benedict XVI made? Has he written anything that a lay person can understand?
>>
I don't know about his theology. I do know he did far more to investigate and stop the sex abuse things going on the Church (long before he was Pope and continuing to after he become Pope) than anyone else, yet the media made it seem like he was turning a blind eye.
>>
>>310187
Because nigga looks like Palpatine.
Nobody is going to believe someone like that is the good guy.
>>
>>310026
>I hear Pope Benedict XVI was an amazing theologian, and talents were overshadowed by his lack of charisma.

You heard wrong.
He wrote a book about Jesus that was full of errors when compared to the Bible.
>>
>>310187
As has been highlighted numerous times, the RCC has covered up the abuse of children for decades, if not longer.

The RCC has systematically withheld evidence from secular law authorities in order to save face. It has moved accused priests from one diocese to another enabling them to commit more rapes and abuse globally.

And lastly in a move by the former CEO, who requested that all information pertaining to child abuse be sent to him directly, circumventing the law authorities in the countries where abuse has been documented to have taken place by hiding behind diplomatic immunity, we'll never see these men and women being incarcerated for their crimes.

Make no mistake, the RCC has no interest whatsoever in protecting children and bringing child rapists to real secular justice. Defrocking is simple hand waving, an attempt to draw attention from the fact that the RCC is a stain on humanity and an enemy of human rights.
>>
>>310357
is this copypasta?
>>
"there's wifi here"
>>
>>310373
Not him but what does it matter? The Catholic church did these things
>>
>>310357
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI#Sexual_abuse_in_the_Catholic_Church
>>
>>310395
bishops arent the Church, anon
>>
>>310415
Who are you kidding? The Catholic church is a strict hierarchy in which bishops have a high rank. They very much are the church, and your word games aren't going to change that
>>
>>310357
Well, it was obvious how this thread was going to end
>>
>>310357
Just popping in to say that pedophilia rates among priests are slightly lower than in the general population. Le pedo priest is a commie meme, check the facts and don't spout bullshit.

Also
>we'll never see these men and women being incarcerated for their crimes
Lol. How stupid can you even be.
>>
>>311532

>t: altar boy with stockholm syndrome
>>
>>310187
>yet the media made it seem like he was turning a blind eye.
That's because he was a "conservative" (not in economic terms) catholic. If there was any way the media could smear him, they would. I used to trust the media, but lately, I think they are full of shit and with a clear agenda.

>>311532
Yup. But somehow, those statistics are never shown.
>>
>>311532
Churches operate outside the law and the law won't go into those places,'Child molestation' isn't just some problem with religion, it is one of its functions,This religious cult - like all religions - is specifically designed to allow older men unfettered access to vulnerable and credulous women and children, for their own ends.
>>
>>311553
t. fedora master
>>
>>310026
>>310026
Introduction to Christianity
The Spirit of the Liturgy
Jesus of Nazareth
Any of his enyclicals

Best flow to understand this from completely unaware to fully grasping him would be:

Intro -> Encyclicals -> Jesus -> Liturgy
>>
>>310196
This is true.
>>
SO IT'S TREASON THEN
>>
>>311534
Nice adhom bitch. This is a history board not your feels board, talk smart or fuck off.

>>311549
You're one google result away from them. It's obvious you won't be 'shown' anything, it's your own responsibility to read about things.

>>311553
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean or how it is tied to my argument.
>>
>>310026
It ia hard to see someone appreciate a pope nowadays so that is cool OP.

What I don't like is how non-Christians think all Christians are only focus about church and handing out pamphlets. It is obvious Roman Catholicism isn't for everybody.

It also bothers me that the church thinks it can hold Jesus exclusive, you know? Any body of any religion can get a relationship with God.
>>
I know that he tried to start a conversation with the European intelligentsia to make Catholicism fashionable again for smart people. His dialogue with Jurgen Habermas is emblematic of this.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. European intellectuals have other gods now, such as equality and hedonism, to care much about Christianity or the values that Benedict tried to associate with Christianity, such as reason and liberty. I guess that is one of the reasons why he renounced. Now Francis, of course, is doing the exact opposite, instead of a intellectual Catholicism, he is going full populist, and it's working.
>>
>>313282
I'm militantly Catholic and I laughed.
>>
>>311532

It's not that pedo rates are higher, it's that the church covered it up and created more victims in the process, often doing things like transferring priests once the rumored started. And that some of the people covering it up got yanked back to Rome to avoid charges. Cardinal Law should be in a Boston prison instead of voting on Popes.
>>
>>315214
The Church is Christ's body
>>
>>311532
Thread should have ended here.

What is so complicated about looking into church history, to the idiots that responded to the post with stupidity? Why argue with retards....
>>
>>315415
>English upper society has a big pedo problem.
>HURRY HIDE IT WITH CATHOLICS
>>
>>315520

I'm murican m8, my homeland kicked out the Anglo menace in 1775. Didn't stop priests from raping our kids.
>>
>>310449
That's a fucking lie.
>>
>>315573
Tell me the ages of all the Catholic priests who are pedos in your state. I will point out an insightful tend and draw conclusions. I just want you to prove for yourself that it is easy to obtain data supporting my forthcoming conclusion.
>>
The complicancy of the Catholic Church and it's hierarchy is fairly well documented. It is well known that the Catholic Church spent more time and money intimidating witnesses, hiding and moving pedophile priests from parish to parish than it ever did in bringing any priests to justice.

And for nearly a quarter-century, as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger headed the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican office responsible for handling abuse cases.
>>
Why did he resign? People don't talk often enough about how weird and crazy that is.
>>
>>315583
show me otherwise then senpai. the catholic church prides itself on hierarchy and authority im surprised you don't feel the same. you may well be a heretic lmao
>>
>>316304
he was an autist who dropped his spaghetti literally every time he made a public statement. that, or he just became pope at a very difficult time when sex scandals wrecked the prestige of the church, western european and american catholics are becoming more secular by the day and evangelicals are breaking into the south american market that was the stomping ground of the church since 1492. he couldn't handle all of it so he folded
>>
>>316304
Because he made a twitter account and discovered people really like to be edgy on the internet
>>
>>310026
I wish he was still pope ;_;
>>
>>316416
Why? You don't like Francis?
>>
Pope Francis is not in touch with the poor at all.

I've heard some tidbits of his speeches in Africa the last days, and everything he says are just progressive things that are only important to liberals in the first world.

"Corruption is sweet, like sugar. We like it."
"So much sugar causes diabetes and if the whole country is involved, this will end with a diabetic country."
How many who went to his speech can relate to diabetes? It was in Kenya of all places.
>>
>>315214
>It is obvious Roman Catholicism isn't for everybody.
Christ made it for everybody
>Any body of any religion can get a relationship with God.
If you aren't in communion with Rome, then you aren't in communion with Christ.
>>
>>315394
>militantly Catholic
thats another way of saying retard
>>
>>313282
It's heresy then
>>
>>317801
>Africans can't relate an analogy about diabetes
>Africans can't relate to corruption being bad

Anon, think about what you just said.

>>317880
Rude
as
shit
And wrong to boot, what the fuck man. Get on the ball.
>>
>>315394
>militantly Catholic

So you shoot up abortion clinics? Or you just play dress up with a sword and pretend to speak Latin in your mom's basement?
>>
>>316304
He was very close to John Paul II and thought it would be bad to have a physically weak Pope to deal with all the Church problems. Notice, that I have read that in some ways, Benedict XVI had to be the acting Pope.

Francis I has more energy than he has.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.