[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Christian martyr had the worst death?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: Saint Bartholomew.jpg (82 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
Saint Bartholomew.jpg
82 KB, 436x600
Which Christian martyr had the worst death?
>>
>>309769
St. Lawrence had a very unenviable death.
He was slowly roasted on an iron grid, but apparently he still had the balls at one point to say "I'm well done. Turn me over!"
He became the patron saint of cooks and comedians for that.
>>
File: San_Bartolomeo_Scorticato.jpg (103 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
San_Bartolomeo_Scorticato.jpg
103 KB, 800x800
>>309769
Saint Bartholomew.

Getting flayed alive is fucking awful.
>>
Saint Lucy is pretty nice. I think they tried to burn her but the wood wouldn't light so they impaled her with a sword. This was all after her eyes were gouged out too.
>>
The flayed skin of bartholemew is supposedly a self portrait of Michelangelo

I don't remember the exact details but when he painted the cystine chapel he had to do it in an awkward position for long stretches of time and it severely fucked up his back causing him to essentially look like the flayed skin
>>
>>310047
I've always preferred the version of Saint Lucy's story where she pulled out her own eyes. Way more metal.
>>
>>309874
>He became the patron saint of cooks

Pope had a wicked sense of humor.
>>
File: lastjudgement-st-catherine.jpg (22 KB, 450x269) Image search: [Google]
lastjudgement-st-catherine.jpg
22 KB, 450x269
I think Michelangelo misunderstood the story of St Catherine's martyrdom. While the burning wheel breaking apart at her touch is clearly supposed to be miraculous, it looks like Michelangelo thought she had superhuman strength.
>>
>>311576
Sick gains
>>
>>311576
At some point in his early middle career, Michelangelo decided to just make everyone a super buff muscle monster.

His first Pieta, the famous one, has Mary looking rather feminine, then after a while they just start looking like body builders with ugly tits plastered on, with the most famous example being Night.
>>
>>311798
>/fit/ fags
>>
>>311576
>>311798
Fun fact: in the original version of the Last Judgment painting, Saint Catherine (as well as many other figures) was depicted as fully nude. However, many Vatican officials had taken offense to there being so much nudity, and so Daniele da Volterra (who earned the nickname (Il Braghettone, or "the breeches maker") was commissioned to paint some clothes on.

Here is the version from an uncensored copy by Marcello Venusti.
>>
>>312107
Here is a full diagram of changes.
>>
File: 1448553043721.png (1 MB, 739x952) Image search: [Google]
1448553043721.png
1 MB, 739x952
>>309991
I was at the Duomo this summer and saw that statue; it is arresting.
>>
File: sweat.png (142 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
sweat.png
142 KB, 415x367
>>312107
>>
>>309769
Joan of Arc
>>
>>311576
Michelangelo was actually gay. The pope overlooked this because he was a damn good painter.

noticeably he used male models for all his work. that is why even his women look like men with tits attached.
>>
>>312244
Burned alive is actually rather tame as far as the saints are concerned.
>>
File: 3.jpg (34 KB, 1088x1440) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
34 KB, 1088x1440
>>313054
>>
File: torso.jpg (97 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
torso.jpg
97 KB, 375x500
>>313054
>the school of michelangelo
>>
>>312107
>However, many Vatican officials had taken offense to there being so much nudity
It was part of the Counter reformation.

The Catholics had to cut down on excess because the protestants were calling them degenerates.

Just another way Martin Luther ruined everything.
>>
>>313054
>Michelangelo was actually gay
Michelangelo doesn't actually strike me as gay. He sounds more like a romantic asexual.

He also fell in love with Vittoria Colonna who was a woman.
>>
>>313726
>The Catholics had to cut down on excess because the protestants were calling them degenerates.
How times change.
>>
>>311545
Hello reddit!
>>
>>309769
Wasnt Lucian the Martyr raped by dolphins?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.