[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So whats the deal with these guys? Were they guilty or not? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 3templars.jpg (12 KB, 220x257) Image search: [Google]
3templars.jpg
12 KB, 220x257
So whats the deal with these guys? Were they guilty or not? What is the consensus?
>>
>>309057
Innocent. As found by Pope Clement at the time, when he found them not guilty, and restored them all to full sacrament.
>>
Innocent.

French king didn't want to pay denbts. It was also convenient to get rid of such a powerful multi national enterprise.
>>
>>309141
>multi national enterprise.

It was mostly French (which is why he got rid of it so easily)
>>
>>309325
they still had property and lots of soldiers in other countries
>>
>>309325
At that stage it was primarily French because of the headquarters, but functionally it was fairly evenly dispersed.
>>
File: 1448458102805.png (246 KB, 680x623) Image search: [Google]
1448458102805.png
246 KB, 680x623
>>309057
Why do you give a shit? That was in medieval times and holds little influence on your life now
Just remember what happened and move the fuck on
>>
>>309057
Guilty of what? Heresy, treason? I'd say no for the majority though there might have been some individuals guilty of such things.
>>
>>309361
>/his/ - History
>>
>>309057

Unbiased answer: It was war, fought for good reasons but hurt innocent people in practice SOME of the time. Christians were on the receiving end of abuse from Europe to the Levant for a few centuries at this point. The war was called for political reasons, and the casus belli was a moral reason, like most if not all wars.

Biased answer: Crusaders are bad, poor Muslim empire that stretched from Spain to the Euphrates and beyond :-( What did they ever do to you?
>>
>>309399
I think he meant the Knights of the Temple, not crusaders in general.
>>
>>309057
Dindu nuffin

Seriously though they were innocent
>>
>>309399
Think he was talking about the Templars and how they were turned upon by the French king but good job showing how insecure you are
>>
>>309361
Are you on the wrong board, cartoon alcoholic?
>>
Muslims were encroaching on European lands, they had no choice but to drive them back.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
The court transcripts include some pretty ridiculous accusations that were obviously not true like mandated sodomy, allegiance to Saladin, and ritualized spitting on the cross. It was highly unlikely that the Templars were responsible for any of that.
However, their role in society arose some anxiety at the time. Medieval society was ordered into distinct categories, and to belong in both a knightly order and a religious one was a little unorthodox, but accepted for their applicability to the crusades. But as the crusades started to play less of a role in their activies and banking played more of one, they became a target for monarchs and major power holders (specifically Philip IV, who was trying to build a state at the time).

This might be why the majority of those condemned were older members who lived outside the Holy Land, while the younger members who still had a relevant position in the crusades were left untouched for a long period of time.
>>
>>309602
No, you saw >>309468 and decided to dick ride his post to seem intelligent by association.

I'm not at fault for OP being unspecific when Templars have also committed acts of violence upon innocents during the crusades.
>>
Literally did nothing wrong
>>
They were assholes that deserved too die.
>>
>>312713
Too much Assassins's Creed, friendo?
>>
>>310297
christ anon, wash that stove
>>
They were innocent.
There were some documents that showed that, pretty clearly.

If there is a hell, Phillip IV and Guillaume de Nogaret are burning on it. Nogaret is one of the worst assholes in history.
>>
>>312898
And at least, all of them paid dearly for their crimes in life.
Nogaret died horribly before De Molay and Phillip IV died soon after.

Phillip IV's 3 sons were cûcked by their wives (see the Tour de Nesle Affair, that was huge in the middle ages) and none of them left a male heir, effectively ending his dynasty.
>>
>>312721
Im on my phone so i cant fetch sources, but i hear they were immune to taxes and shit and still bullied some people.
>>
Another fact about Phillip IV: he actually "found out" the Templars were rich, when he debased currency, people got mad with him and the only ones to give him shelter were the Templars. He repaid them by burning them.

Fucking asshole.
>>
>>312705
>have also committed acts of violence upon innocents during the crusades.

Literally any war ever
>>
>>309057

Templars=Jedi knights

think about it
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNzA3MjM3OTAx.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNzA3MjM3OTAx.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
>>313867
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE POPE IS EVIL
>>
File: Raffael_040.jpg (956 KB, 1578x2000) Image search: [Google]
Raffael_040.jpg
956 KB, 1578x2000
>>313926

its treason then...AURHGHGHARUHAF!!!
>>
>>309057
They were innocent.
May the frogs burn in hell.

I still have my ancestors Templar Mantle.
>>
>>313861
Yea but that's not my point, so what the fuck is yours?
>>
>>314541
Everyone involved was a frog.
>>
Probably fairly innocent of the heresy charges. They were eliminated because they were an independent power standing in the way of the expanding royal might.

This was an organisation that was phenomenally rich, highly influencial internationally, and governed from a literal fortified little city in Paris. Against them stood a king who, when criticised by the Pope, just had him kidnapped and replaced with a French one, and then moved the entire Papacy from Rome to France.
>>
>>313867
Not really, though. Maybe the Papacy was like that, requiring strict adherence to doctrine, with no deviation permitted under penalty of death.

>>312953
All Holy Orders were, and all knights could be supreme dicks.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.