[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you realize the illusion of free will amounts to and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: cool boi pepe.jpg (12 KB, 217x232) Image search: [Google]
cool boi pepe.jpg
12 KB, 217x232
>tfw you realize the illusion of free will amounts to and is indistinguishable from the reality of free will
>tfw you realize determinists are btfo
>>
Pretty much this

If determinism is true my agency still feels as real as ever.
>>
>>308795
Determinism was always fishy. People who use it are always excusing some shitty event.

That probably prompted the search to find the shitcake.
>>
>>308795
An illusion can break down, the truth can't.
>>
I think the question of free will is only particularly important if there's an omnipotent, omniscient god judging us for our actions, otherwise it's pretty moot as a deterministic universe still allows for us to reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 720x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 720x620
Too bad you're wrong

It'd be cool if free will didn't exist
>>
wut
>>
Alright OP.
What is your alternative to the cause of a response occurring besides neurons firing? You know, the thing that we've fucking determined that makes the brain "go"?
>>
>>308795
Basically this. It doesn't really matter if there is free will or everything is predetermined, because your thoughts would also be predetermined. You just keep living your life the same way either way.
>>
>>308795
>tfw you realize determinists are btfo
how exactly does confirming their hypothesis make them btfo?
Also even if the illusion of free will is experientially indistinguishable from it's reality, we're still permitted to draw conclusions based on it's non-existence. e.g. how we should treat people who break the law, be it holy or synthetic.
>>
I can choose not to believe in freewill?

Sounds like a bunch sour grapes fatsos justifing their shitty choices
>>
>>312590
It is more a philosophical question than a practical one. The longer you think about it, the more you realize that it can't be used to justify any sort of behavior either way.
The question is, basically, 'Is a man the sum of his past experiences?'.
Our models of the human brain say, mostly, yes, but others assert different things.
Practically speaking, it's the exact same outcome either way, so it doesn't matter.
>>
does anybody else cringe when you here people argue about this?

it all boils down to semantic warfare
>>
>>308795
>tfw you realize the illusion of free will amounts to and is indistinguishable from the reality of free will
Yeah, I was about 17 when I realized that. It's okay to be slow, OP. Don't see how it btfo's determinists tho.
>>
File: angry_baby_gimp.jpg (41 KB, 649x638) Image search: [Google]
angry_baby_gimp.jpg
41 KB, 649x638
Humans sure do love to deceive themselves.
>>
the infant believes that it is by free will that it seeks the breast; the angry boy believes that by free will he wishes vengeance; the timid man thinks it is with free will he seeks flight; the drunkard believes that by a free command of his mind he speaks the things which when sober he wishes he had left unsaid. … All believe that they speak by a free command of the mind, whilst, in truth, they have no power to restrain the impulse which they have to speak - Spinoza
>>
The only problem with determinism is that we cannot even get close to aknowledge the system of all things. We're basically like stupid hamster thinking that their box is the whole universe and that they're fully free to move and act in it.
>>
>>308878
Because truth is empirically validated, was free will ever empirically validated though?
>>
>>308795
>tfw you realize furthermore, that by assuming agency (even if on the basis of delusion) you seemingly create MORE freedom

It's like Trump is running metaphysics
>>
>>313885
What? Thinking you are free makes you LESS free.
>>
>>313923
Cogito ergo sum
>>
>>313955
Now you're just spouting memes. Come back when you can make an actual argument.
>>
>>313989
I didn't realize we were having an argument
>>
>>313923
It only makes you less likely to rebel.
What is the point of rebelling against a system that you absolutely can't change though?
>>
>>313873
truth isn't empirically validated
empiricism is a philosophy aimed at attaining truth.

Of course it proves it, the very idea of empiricism is contingent on the concept of absolute truth.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.