[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you all think of modern tv and films all black and brown
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13
File: the-last-kingdom-key-art.jpg (97 KB, 630x324) Image search: [Google]
the-last-kingdom-key-art.jpg
97 KB, 630x324
what do you all think of modern tv and films all black and brown leather costume designs when it comes to historical anything?

I'm personally growing kinda tired of it, along with blue tint for cold. shit is bland as fuck.
>>
File: 269.jpg (208 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
269.jpg
208 KB, 667x500
>>30802
they have to make a show about Landsknechts
>>
>>32034
>Band of 30yearswar mercenary Brothers
YES
>>
>>30802

Lack of colour triggers me every time.
>>
File: landsknechts.jpg (38 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
landsknechts.jpg
38 KB, 435x580
>>32053

There is so much potential behind this idea.

And enough free room to make up a story without becoming historically incorrect.
>>
>>30802
The replacement of historical armor with repurposed biker gear always irks me.
>>
>>32676

Being unrealistic can be excused with lack of skill and resources in the costuming department.

But the dull color schemes must mean they think people hated life before color film. Brown and grey, realer than real life.
>>
>>32034
Make a movie like The Beasts of No Nation set during the 30 years war.
Kids born to camp followers that grow up among perpetual fighting to eventually become soldiers themselves.
>>
File: KoHposter.jpg (18 KB, 237x350) Image search: [Google]
KoHposter.jpg
18 KB, 237x350
>all of the extras are inbred-looking dirty peasants
>the protagonist is a 10/10 Hollywood chad with freshly washed hair and not a speck of soot on him despite being a blacksmith

This combined with all the historical inaccuracies and the protagonist's sulky attitude reminded me why I don't watch these sorts of films.
>>
Can you guys recommend some new historical tv shows?
>>
>>34700
Have you seen Wolf Hall?
>>
>>34764
>Wolf Hall
oh shit Damian Lewis plays on it i might check it out thanks senpai desu
>>
>>32676
The vikings are dressed mostly like this in the show at least, for some reason they make most of the Anglo Saxons other than the West Seaxe dress like dirty peasants just to make them look different.

The main thing wrong with the show is the awful desaturated "Muh Dark Ages" colour filter.
>>
>>34793
It's absolutely fucking based, Mark Rylance is probably the best living actor.
>>
>>34825
In the show Vikings almost everyone is wearing black
>>
>>32034
Flesh + Blood by Paul Verhoeven is the only film I know covering that period

Lots of flesh, lots of blood, and based Rutger Hauer.
>>
>>30802
This in particular irritates me because they're based on pretty good novels where it's very clearly stated how they fight and what they wear.
>>
>>35439
Trailer, it's a bit spoilery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOy1JZBH5c

Music is from the actual film
>>
>>35620
Sorry, here's a better-quality one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3djxsIb9KHc
>>
>>34825
I blame Gladiator and LOTR for swords = color filter.
>>
>>30802

if they used historicaly accurate costumes it would increase the cost of production, decrease the possible range of what they can do with character design, but also they are afraid they would loose the whole barbaric-bdsm thing they believe they got going

all this prooves they are imbecils
>>
>>34501
the one thing I’ve always given it is that they had enough money and gave even a slight fuck to give their main cast and even all the extras accurate armour and helmets for the time period.
>>
>>35759

imagine they made a movie set in gothic times with all the colors and shapes stabbing you in the retina like they were meant to do
>>
>>35759
LOTR was pretty bright m8.

I blame WWII films and Ridley Scott teebeeeych.
>>
>>35885

Knowing which character were important based solely on how big of a technicolour eyesore they are would obviously be beneficial.
>>
File: mercians.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mercians.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
I really liked the mercian uniform in vikings.

too bad they made the mercians huge keks
>>
File: franks.jpg (53 KB, 550x298) Image search: [Google]
franks.jpg
53 KB, 550x298
And the frankish uniform

they do a pretty good job of avoiding the brown/grey trap
>>
>>35759
LOTR was plenty pretty, it's fucking Gladiator's fault.

The worst thing is that the Anglo Saxons actually went into battle COVERED IN GOLD AND JEWELs, but fuck that grimderp grey and black leather and shitty wooden shields.
>>
>>36150
I would fuck her right in the pussy
>>
>>36279

Thing with LoTR is that the source explicitly mentions the humble tastes of the good guys. Totally different than in real history.
>>
File: 2015-04-23-vikings1.jpg (116 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-23-vikings1.jpg
116 KB, 950x534
>>36307
Nah she's a frumpy bitch

but check out this frankish shield painted in teal and gold
>>
>>36558
The outfits ARE brightly coloured and nice looking in the films though, it's not that desaturated grimderp that you see in Ridley Scott.
>>
>>36279
>COVERED IN GOLD AND JEWELS

Not all of them. Bright colors, sure.
>>
File: sutton_hoo_side_898[1].jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sutton_hoo_side_898[1].jpg
49 KB, 600x600
>>36619
Pretty gleaming m8
>>
>>36046
>mercians
>not huge keks

T.west saxon
>>
>>36602

True.

Still, anything more vivid would have propably caused even more purist butthurt than now.
>>
File: wessex.jpg (232 KB, 686x385) Image search: [Google]
wessex.jpg
232 KB, 686x385
>>36672
west saxons have shitty nippon samurai armor
>>
>>36562
>single hand spears
I never understood this, it seems so clumsy to use, and wouldn't shield + spear eat away your agility?
>>
>>36785
learn2shiedwall
>>
>>36785
You don't need agility when you're fighting in formation with guys at your back and sides
>>
>>36765
still conquered the merikeks and the rest of england and beat the danes, ALFRED STRONK
>>
>>30802
I'm really liking The Last Kingdom, but it made me think about that as well. Everyone wears black leather and everything looks grey. It short sells all the amazing jewellery and brightly coloured clothing the anglo saxons wore.
>>
>>36659
Wasn't that a ceremonial helmet?

>>36765
Since when does leather = samurai?
>>
>>36975
Nope, they wore this bling shit to battle.
>>
>>36811
>>36823
But he doesn't look like frontline soldier but a kings guard.
>>
File: Daario_Naharis.jpg (51 KB, 250x385) Image search: [Google]
Daario_Naharis.jpg
51 KB, 250x385
I know that feel. It's like in A Song of Ice and Fire, GRRM describes his characters using all kind of colourful surcoats and ellaborate plate armour, while in the show everyone just uses black clothes and boiled leather.
>>
>>37110
In all fairness, the Dorne people have pretty bling armour, in general the costumes are very pretty in that show.
>>
>>37110
Jamie's guilded armor was ok
>>
>>36975
>Since when does leather = samurai?

the arrangement of the Lamellar (even if made of leather instead of metal) does look pretty fucking Asian. I think the only euros at the time who might of worn it would have been the Byzantines, though there's has a pretty distinct look, where the bottom of the scales seemed to be arranged being pointed up.
>>
>>37230
Lamellar of various sorts were used everywhere. It's a popular form of armor construction.
>>
>>37286
in the east, give me some proof it was used in ancient bongland.
>>
>>37461

Historical accuracy isn't really a thing in that show.
>>
>>37461
I don't have any to be honest, it's still not extremely far-fetched though.

My only point is that Lamellar isn't some obscure regional armor only used by a handful of groups.
>>
>>37501
it does look very Saracen, I've certainly never heard of Lamellar being a common armour choice in the Anglo-Saxon period
>>
>>30802
This bothers the hell out of me in both historical and fantasy stuff. Everything is so bland, men wearing drab brown leather and women looking as conventionally pretty as possible.
People used to have different conceptions of "manly" or "pretty" that might seem weird to us today, this should be part of the fun rather than something to be embarrassed of.
>>
>>36894
Plus the RECTANGULAR shields
They were round just like Viking ones, they were closely related culturally etc.

Also the Saxons don't know how to do shield walls
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.