[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>human intuition is reliable >I feel this is right >I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 51oXKWrcYYL.jpg (55 KB, 668x1000) Image search: [Google]
51oXKWrcYYL.jpg
55 KB, 668x1000
>human intuition is reliable
>I feel this is right
>I have never studied statistical inference or anything but I feel this candidate knows his shit
topkek plebs
>>
This is why Plato hated democracy btw
>>
>>307559
Please expand, this could be an intredasting thread.
>>
>>307567
Basically this stuff here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
>>
>>307559
>tfw people say something like "this poll can't be right, it only polled 0.01% of the population"
>tfw you try to show them percentage doesn't matter in the error margin of a poll
>tfw they believe so strongly in human intuition they refuse to believe you and become violent
>>
my intuition got me into a lot of good things, and saved my life too, that being said, I'm not defending how some just have godawful intuition though.
>this thread
essentially this thread will boil down to N vs S types.
>>
>>307610
Intuition is useful but you should be skeptical about it and verify it.
>>
File: who dares wins!.jpg (34 KB, 350x550) Image search: [Google]
who dares wins!.jpg
34 KB, 350x550
>>307620
ofcourse, I use reason and logic about why I feel about something in a certain way too, its just that my intuition is stronger, but not by very much. because hey - who dares wins, right?
>>
>>307610
More like NT and everyone else

Also iirc the colloquial meaning of intuition is only one part of the book, it includes a lot on the mistakes commonly made even when we think we're being 'rational'
>>
File: 1428100166467.png (1 MB, 891x695) Image search: [Google]
1428100166467.png
1 MB, 891x695
>>307564
>you will NEVER have a philosopher king run your country
>>
>>307588
doesn't the error margin scale with 1 over the root of N even with the CLT?
>>
>>307731
Wasn't that what the general secretary of the USSR was technically supposed to be? I guess they fucked that one up
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.