[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion on current and past affairs in Ulster? (post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: LtJackieCoulter.jpg (123 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
LtJackieCoulter.jpg
123 KB, 800x600
What is your opinion on current and past affairs in Ulster? (post 1900)
>>
>>307450

since when did dave lee travers gun down taigs?
>>
>>307450
Freedom or death desu, fuck every royal pest and their parasite children
>>
I think the Larne gun-running was a dangerous precedent. It introduced the gun to Irish politics and it was used to circumvent democracy because a bunch of Orangemen were paranoid of having devolution.

I know quite a bit of English who are indifferent to Northern Ireland and think Orangemen cause too much trouble than they're worth.

Northern Ireland is a mess. Maybe after this generation dies off in 50 years, the younger ones will try to put the past behind them and look to the future.

Will I see a unified Ireland? Not in my lifetime. It's gonna take a fuckton of investment and infrastructure to deal with that mess. I don't have a drop of Irish or Scottish blood in me, but it's disgusting that Western Europe has that kind of filth infesting.
>>
File: Lord Bannside.jpg (39 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
Lord Bannside.jpg
39 KB, 624x351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIxkrFgb0CI
>>
>>307476

what about the guns brought into the howth?

>inb4 whataboutery

it was both sides fuelled the others' paranoia
>>
It produced some fun songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_NXdj3MaFk
>>
>>307532
Just as bad, but the British authorities turned a blind eye to Larne, but put a stop to Howth. This and the Curragh Mutiny didn't endear the Irish to promises by Parliament.

Honestly, if World War One didn't break out, Ireland would erupt in civil war. Because either Home Rule would be enacted or the British would have to find a solution that satisfies both parties.
>>
>>307560
Some of these songs are class but some are rather annoying
My mate plays this (and its playlist) full blast every night after we get in from a night out (his house is in a catholic area)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4C4fH7FmM0
>>
>>307603
post some good ones m8, I love this type of shit. Doesn't matter which side they're for
>>
>>307658
not entirely related but loved by loyalists nationwide
this is our pre drink song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iM9Xl0a7cU
>>
>>307603
>STEALING THE FUCKING TUNE FROM WEARING OF THE GREEN
Pfh. The huns can't stoop any lower can they?
>>307450
>opinion thread
Pretty shit to be honest.
>>
>>307688
just testing the water on /his/ to see if I can escape from /pol/
>>
What a lot of people don't know is that Northern Ireland is actually in much better condition than the Republic.
>>
>>307712
>IM-FUCKING-PLYING
GDP per capita Northern Ireland:
>€21,000
GDP per capita Republic of Ireland
>€39,900
>>
>>307752
>muh GDP

Which matters dick when NI is part of a bigger country that generously subsidizes it and the Republic is absolutely devastated by unemployment.

Having lived in both I can assure you, they are both shitholes. NI just doesn't bother pretending otherwise.
>>
>>307775
GDP per capita, you eejit. That means how much wealth, on average, a person has, which by the way, includes public spending
>devastated by unemployment
Northern Ireland 205
>~6%
Republic of Ireland 2015
>8.9%

On the face of it, yes, they have higher unemployment, but that doesn't include economic inactivity (ie, people who are of working age not seeking out jobs), which in northern Ireland, at about 27%, is one of the highest in western Europe.
>>
>>307808
GDP per capita isn't a measure of average wealth, it's a measure of average productivity. Which is largely consistent with the fact that in NI a disproportionate amount of jobs are in the public sector, which produces fuck all.

>but that doesn't include economic inactivity (ie, people who are of working age not seeking out jobs), which in northern Ireland, at about 27%, is one of the highest in western Europe.
The fact that the Republic of Ireland has less people simply choosing not to work yet higher unemployment simply indicates that business in the south is in such a state that jobs are much rarer.
>>
>>307853
It's not a measure of average wealth, you're right, it's instead a measure of average income. You may be confusing GDP per capita with GDP per hours worked for productivity. However, that is a fair point, the productivity down south is far better than up north.

As for why they have more unemployment, they're recovering from the largest economic depression in recent times. Why are we up north not as affected by the same crash? Our reliance on public spending. In the long run, they'll likely have a more healthy employment than us.
>>
Death to all filthy Huns.
>>
I fixed this.
>>
>>307712
NI is in decent shape because it's literally a black hole which sucks billions from London every year.
>>
No irish person i have met has ever, ever, brought it up.

Pretty much just an issue for poor people and americans ᎢᏴᎻ no one gives a shit on the mainland anymore.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.