[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extinct peoples/cultures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: Raatajat_rahanalaiset.jpg (563 KB, 1920x1536) Image search: [Google]
Raatajat_rahanalaiset.jpg
563 KB, 1920x1536
Post extinct peoples/cultures

Starting off with Forest Finns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Finns
>>
Pretty much every indo-iranian tribe living in the steppes of CA and the Caucasus. But mostly wondering what happened to the Scythians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians

Considering Herodotus described them to all have red hair and blue/green eyes unlike the other nomads of turkic origin.
>>
>>306893
Most likely they just assimilated into the more successful Sarmatians, who also ended up disappearing
>>
>>306893
The Scythians probably never existed as a distinct culture. Herodotus basically just used the term to describe everyone central Asian group of people, and even made distinctions about different types of them.
>>
>>306893

The modern day Yagnobi in Tajikistan and the Ossetians (Avars) in the Caucasus are described pretty much as the direct descendents of Scythians/Sarmatians
>>
>>306975
Also look at the spread of R1a1

The Scythians and Sarmatians are most likely the direct inheritors of the archetypical Indo-European culture
>>
>>306893
The Khazars were described like that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars#Demographics
>>
>>306893
They moved to Ireland.
>>
>>306893
They got Genghis Khan'd
>>
>>306836
holy shit slash and burn agriculture would have been a pain in the fucking arse
>>
>>307212
They got Attila'd before they got Khan'd though
>>
>>306836
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_French
>>
>>306893
>unlike the other nomads of turkic origin.
They were eastern Iranic in origin.
As said earlier, the Ossetians are descendants of Alans. There's a few villages in Hungary where descendants of Yazyges lived and spoke an Iranic dialect until XIXth century. Udmurts who now speak a Finno-Ugric language are supposed descendants of Budini, described by Herodotus as red-haired - the Udmurts have the largest percentage of red-haired people in the world.

Slavs in general have a lot cultural influence from the Scytho-Sarmatians as well, seeing how they lived under their rule for a while. Serbs and Croatians basically took the names of Sarmatian tribes that integrated into them (similar to Turkic Bulgars and modern Bulgarians), while Poles have admixture of R1a1a haplogroup that's only seen in Tajikistan, among other purely eastern Iranic population.
>>
>mfw no east germanic languages
;_;
>>
>>306836
I knew of these since a lot of the colonists of New Sweden (elaware/SE PA/ South Jersey) were Forest Finns. They're a completely extinct people there too, obviously. Only a very few houses and churches remain of New Sweden. Descendants of the original colonists of NJ/Philadelphia area in general are extinct, thoroughly replaced by centuries of immigration waves, one after the other after the other and still continuing.
>>
>>307367
The Crimean Goths supposedly survived into XVIIth century, in small villages along the coast.
>>
>>306836
Anatolians
>>
>>307405
Which Anatolians?
>>
>>307376
That's pretty neat actually
>>
File: 2_New_Netherland.jpg (450 KB, 1376x1853) Image search: [Google]
2_New_Netherland.jpg
450 KB, 1376x1853
>>307376
There's actually a surprising number of people in the US who are descended from colonists of New Sweden / New Netherlands. I wouldn't make the claim that their culture still survives (though arguably NJ and NY were fundamentally influenced by the Dutch settlement), but their descendants are still around – I'm one, at least in part, and there are many others, but none of them "pure New Swedish/Dutch" because that's ridiculous.

I don't know about Swedish or Finnish, but American dialects of Dutch were spoken up into the past century, specifically Mohawk and Jersey Dutch (and a variety of the latter spoken only by "negros" called Neger Dauts). We even had a "New Dutch" president: Martin Van Buren was raised in Kinderhook NY, Jersey Dutch was his native language.

Oddly enough, there are still people who identify themselves as, for example, Jersey Dutch or Delaware Swedes, even though they no longer speak the language. Perhaps there are still some Finns lurking about?
>>
File: cham-ruins.jpg (377 KB, 1520x891) Image search: [Google]
cham-ruins.jpg
377 KB, 1520x891
>>306836
The Cham People
>Vietnam: AT LAST, WE FREE OF CHINA NAO COME LET US DO WHAT THEY DID TO US AND INVADE SOUTHWARDS. WE WUZ CHINESE CIVILIZATION N SHIT
>>
File: logcabinAmerican.png (256 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
logcabinAmerican.png
256 KB, 432x288
>>307500
It is, the oldest houses here are log cabins in the Forest Finns' style. These small humble cabins are such a contrast from the cultureless cheap oversized development housing that has taken over all of South Jersey's old farmland.
>>
>>307515
Whoa, now as a SJ resident I didn't even know that there were any people still knowing their heritage. Knew there were Dutch descendents in the north of the state (Bruce Sringsteen is the most famous.) Cool to see some of you New Swedes are still kicking.
>>
>>307441
Galatians
>>
>>307519
>Morten, son of Morten
>>
File: WE.jpg (366 KB, 973x1475) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
366 KB, 973x1475
the original egyptians pre-arabization
>>
The Wends. A people that mostly Danes tried to remove from the map. They kept being pirates after the Danes and other Scandinavians stopped being vikings. That made the Danish kings very very angry, so they waged war on them and burned their gods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends
>>
>>307553
I get the meme that WE WUZ KINGZ, but I'm pretty sure this guy is supposed to be a Kushite judging from the small, heavily sloped pyramids. In which case he probably was black in reality.
Doesn't mean that any African Americans are his descendants, since the slaves in America didn't come from Sudan.
>>
>>307644
Not even, modern Assyrians speak Aramaic (a central Semitic language) while the ancients spoke Akkadian (a north Semitic language).

Aramaic was the trade lingua franca for a considerable period, so modern Assyrians likely aren't even the descendants of the Aramaeans proper (who lived in the area around Damascus, anciently Aram-Damascus) but local people of Northern Mesopotamia who simply weren't Arabized.
>>
>>307515
I grew up in New Jersey and middle and upper class Europeans surprisingly had the cleanest American accents in English I have ever heard. Kind of like Nucky Thompson in the Boardwalk Empire. There is still a strong culture of Anglo-German-Northern European Protestant there in the mid-Atlantic, I guess quote-on-quote Yankee
>>
>>307185
regards, anglo-norman monk
>>
>>307644
The original Mesopotamians didn't speak Aramaic, or even a Semitic language.
>>
>>306893
>Herodotus
I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt, he probably met someone who knew someone who traded there.
>>
>>307518
They're still around, but they're like Mayans; just a bunch of little villages.
>>
A number of slaves ran off to Florida and joined the Seminoles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Seminoles
>>
>>307728
Yeah I know there was Sumerian, which was a isolated case not related to its semitic neighbours.

But I thought going that far back to find linguistic survicors would be a stretch.
>>
>>307744
Cool thing, I heard they are a bunch of Muzzies and Hindus
>>
>>306893
Herodotus said the walls of Babylon were 56 miles (90 kilometres) long, 80 feet (24 metres) thick, and 320 feet (97 metres) high. He said the city had 100 gates.

Herodotus ........... Actual
H. 320 ft ............ 47 ft
W. 80 ft .............. 32 ft
L. 56 miles ..........12 miles
100 gates ............ 8 gates

Herodotus more than likely heard stories from people and wrote them as first person accounts.
>>
>>307962
>mentioning the walls of babylon to why you should take everything he writes with a grain of salt
>not the whole ordeal with gold digging ants in inda the size of small dogs
>>
>>307962
>>307983
Man, were all ancient historians this full of shit?
>>
>>307983
This is a good starting point because it was close to home, the Greeks used Babylonian math, so they had good contact with them, so they really should've been able to describe Babylon better.
>>
The Nazca Culture is pretty interesting, their pottery was incredible.
>>
Alot of Southern Italian peoples who got conquered/annexed by Rome.
I can only really think of Naples, who kept Greek words in their dialect up to now.
>>
>>307553
Modern Egyptians are ethnically the same as ancient ones
>>
>>307515
>Martin Van Buren was raised in Kinderhook NY

"Old Kinderhook"
was his nickname
and he used to sign with his initials.
Or is it an urban legend?
>>
>>307735
>I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt, he probably met someone who knew someone who said he had to outrun giant gold mining ants to trade there.

Fixed.
>>
File: beauty.jpg (19 KB, 388x226) Image search: [Google]
beauty.jpg
19 KB, 388x226
>>306836

Tell me about the Tocharians! Why did they wear the Tartan?!
>>
>>307962
Herodotus was the first real troll.
>>
>>307745
Bruh what are you talking about, they still live in Florida and have descendants in the Bahamas, Oklahoma, Texas and Mexico.
>>
>>307553
Jordanians, Philistines, Babylonians, Phonecians all went the way of the Arab too.
>>
File: 2yo5z86.png (77 KB, 1023x614) Image search: [Google]
2yo5z86.png
77 KB, 1023x614
>>307679
>>307644

This

I'm still waiting for paleogentic fests but it seems likely that I come from the same Assyrian empire which adopted Aramaic.
>>
>>307530
The boss is from Central Jersey bruh
>>
>>308079
Good riddance
>>
>>307728
Actually the Assyrian Empire did adopt Aramaic and the Assyrians today who live in Iraq were certainly under the umbrella of the Assyrian empire. Even Darius the Great, a Persian emperor, used Aramaic.
>>
>>306893
It was very common for steppe nomad tribes to assimilate into other more successful tribes or to form new tribes with their neighbors. This is most likely what happened to the Huns as well incidentally.

Also, don't forget that Genghis was described as having red hair.
>>
>>307570
The Swedish King claimed to rule over them, possibly, maybe. We're not actually sure exactly which nationality the third name in the old Swedish royal title is supposed to refer to, and it's likely that it was taken up both to fit the regalia of three crowns and to piss the Danish king off as he had then recently begun calling himself "king of Goths", which could be taken to mean "King of Gutar" (which he was at the time) or "King of Götar" (which he wasn't and which was half of the Swedish king's title at the time).
>>
>>308857
Ancient Greeks weren't even white though
>>
>>307644
I read a nice essay about why they lost and how it relates to the Iraq War
>>
>>309524
>tfw no extinct gf
>>
File: 1425566333369.jpg (107 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1425566333369.jpg
107 KB, 960x720
The British.
>>
>>306836
>56 replies
>No mention of the Guanches
Admittedly most Canary Islanders have some Guanche ancestry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanches
>>
The Taino people were completely wiped out by smallpox. Here in Dominican Republic all that's left from them is their culture, many words from their language, and most of the towns and cities and places have taino names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno
>>
>>308819

Copts almost certainly are same as ancient Egyptians were. Arab majority of country is different matter.
>>
Central/eastern european yiddish culture

inb4 stormfags
>>
>>311278
Basically this, what lots of people fail to understand is there are groups of people that never followed Islam and not following Islam basically meant you didn't intermarry with Muslims or Arabs.
>>
Original European Hunter Gatherers are all extinct, no population today is more than 50% them.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians

>germans had the audacity to call themselves prussians once they meat grinded the originals
>>
>>307553
>Egypt went from a center of learning and mastery of engineering to a shithole that survives economically by whoring out ruins that the new locals defaced and robbed of materials
>Egypt is ruled by literal grave robbers who used to burn mummies for fuel

It just goes to show you, no work of man is permanent.
>>
>>311890
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussia
Mein negger
it seems like no one gives a shit about this like i do it gives me all the rage in the world that this shit went down i can't even stand seeing a German Prussia in Grand strategy games because it triggers me.
fucking German colonialists
>>
>>311953
calm

They just assimilated :D
>>
File: 1380621166843.gif (497 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1380621166843.gif
497 KB, 500x375
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Romance

RIP Christianity in North Africa.
>>
>>311263
And yet, Dominicans will try to tell you that they are "Indio" instead of mulato.
>>
File: homo_sapiens_idaltu.gif (60 KB, 520x250) Image search: [Google]
homo_sapiens_idaltu.gif
60 KB, 520x250
Does extinct subspecies count? Beacuse Homo sapiens idaltu should be on the list. They were our only other race, and we fucked them into extinction.

Either that, or drought killed them off.
>>
>>313550
>and we fucked them into extinction.
Truly the human way.
>>
File: Demasduit.jpg (380 KB, 692x900) Image search: [Google]
Demasduit.jpg
380 KB, 692x900
The Beothuk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beothuk
>>
File: 19.jpg (38 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
38 KB, 615x409
the lesser spotted hero mosley
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.