[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are philosophers just pretentious twats? You really have a huge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: Nietzsche187c.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2940) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187c.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2940
Are philosophers just pretentious twats? You really have a huge ego to call yourself a philosopher and write about how society sucks.

I'm reading Nietzsche right now and he sounds self-righteous. What the fuck is even the point of his stupid book?

The biggest pretentious asshole so far is Kant with his "enlightenment".
>>
Nietzsche is basically "Sociopathy the religion"
>>
>What the fuck is even the point of his stupid book
that is the point. you're getting it.
>>
>>304978
I'm sorry I quite literally pulled this out of my asshole and when the excrement hit the floor that's what it spelled out
I'm sorry
>>
>>304961
>Are philosophers just pretentious twats?
Not just.
>>
>>304966
Jung considered Nietzsche the biggest expression of INTJ. That's the "evil genius" personality.

>>304961
Philosophy has a huge impact on culture and pretty much everything else. Kant's political theories ruled the world in the 1800s. Nietzsche was a huge influence in Jung, Freud, and Jospeh Campbell. There are far greater things they did but I'm not going to go on.

When you making big splashes in multiple fields and changing culture itself you probably are going to be a little egotistical. In contrast if you wrote a book filled with theories and opinions it probably wouldn't do shit ;^) Learn to respect your senpais!
>>
>>304961
>write about how society sucks.
you confuse philosophers with left leaning professional society critics
>>
File: pretentious.png (65 KB, 500x182) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.png
65 KB, 500x182
> Are philosophers just pretentious twats?
If you go by the definition, yeah.
>>
>>304961
>Are philosophers just pretentious twats?

Yes, the problem is that you see it as it was a bad thing.
>>
Pretending to do what? Pretending about what? Please be more precise.
>>
File: nietzsche strong.jpg (44 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche strong.jpg
44 KB, 607x608
>>304961
>being resentful of other people's wisdom
>>
>>307144
pretentious =/= pretending moron
>>
>>304999
evil genius reporting. AMA
>>
>>305503
TOPKEK
>>
>>304978
this made me laugh idk why
>>
>>304961
>The biggest pretentious asshole so far is Kant with his "enlightenment".
lmfao

>>304966
lmfao

>>304978
lmfao

>>304987
lmfao

>>304996
lmfao

>>304999
Nietzsche was egotistical but if you're such a low-minded baby you can't move past that, then you don't deserve the jewels within.

>>305503
lmfao

>>307040
This.
>>
>>307285
>the jewels

yes
>>
>>304961
epicurus is fun tho
>>
> have a huge ego to call yourself a philosopher and write about how society sucks
Why do you need to have an ego? Seems to me if you see some huge problems in society, its kinda valid to write about it. Also if you've studied philosophy and your pretty good at philosphical inquiry (which is a skill) then there's no reason to not distinict yourself. If i trained to be a policeman, became a policeman, its not bad to call myself a policeman.
>>
File: Jack Donovan.jpg (100 KB, 776x437) Image search: [Google]
Jack Donovan.jpg
100 KB, 776x437
>>304961

What Nietzsche are you reading?

I recommend people start with Geneology of Morals, then read Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
>>
>>309980
I'm reading On the Prejudices of Philosophers and i understand almost nothing of what hes trying to say.
>>
>>304961
>You really have a huge ego to call yourself a philosopher and write about how society sucks.
What about calling yourself a philosopher and writing about the problems of society necessitates having a huge ego?
>>
>>310770
he attacks all main schools and introduces will to power.
>>
It's hard not to come off as "pretentious" when you've got a mind as brilliant as them. For the general public at least. As in, uneducated people.
>>
>>307429
>run the jewels

yes
>>
>>311429
Killer Mike and El-P, fuckbois think about it
>>
>>304961
Please end it now
>>
Philosophers are pretty much just narcissists that like to hear themselves talk and read their writing repeatedly.
>>
>>312598
Agreed so much
>>
>>311602
>fuckboi

You mean sexy trap boipussy?
>>
>Call Nietzsche an egoist for dismantling the egoism of society
Nietzsche was the original Anon. He said everything was shit and everyone were wrong, including himself.
>>
>>307285

I'm surprised that you have an ass left to laugh off.
>>
>>309980

So a beta who never goes out. I see what this is getting at.
>>
>>304961
I'm a philosophy undergrad. Nietzsche is the most smug philosopher I've read. But he does have some points. His critique of morals in general is interesting. You don't have to agree with everything he says, reading philosophy is supposed to help you reflect on your own opinions and ideas
>>
>>312598
also the people who have advanced human thought and civilization

But yeah also the other thing
>>
>>304961
>Nietzsche
>>
>>314056
Nah not really
Philosophers rarely act on their philosophy
The people who advance society the people who use their philosophy's
>>
File: index.jpg (10 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10 KB, 181x279
>>314533
>philosophers rarely act on their philosophy
>>
Nietzsche was completely self aware though, he understood that he sounded like a tool.
>>
>>314570
Fucking one example fine okay you got me faggot
>>
File: socrates.jpg (8 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
8 KB, 277x182
>>314633
>>Philosophers rarely act on their philosophy
>Philosophers have never changed history or thought.
>>
>>314533
>Philosophers rarely act on their philosophy
Who is Musonius Rufus, Epictetus, pic related, etc...
>>
>>314056
Yeah, historically.

It has its place in the advancement of mankind in history, but that's exactly what it is--history. And its explanations of the natural world were pretty much wrong.

Philosophy is endless argument based on deduction. Science is endless argument based on data and deduction.
>>
File: 1410084110485.png (27 KB, 119x167) Image search: [Google]
1410084110485.png
27 KB, 119x167
>>314533
>Philosophers rarely act on their philosophy
>>
Philosophy
>no substantial notion of burden of proof
>can't know nuffin faggots taken seriously
>full of mystic and religious thinkers and other morons

Science
>theories need evidence and falsifiability to be taken seriously
>actually works
>created the internet and memes
>smartest people in the world are scientists
>>
>>316169
You can thank Bacon and Descartes for making that testable science you love so much.
>>
I agree. I don't get why people think shit is true just because some dead guy said it.

No, I don't want to fuck my mom Freud you're just a fucking pervert, and nothing happened to my asshole when I was an infant ffs... A lot of the things they "discovered" are just pure stupidity but pretentious college pseudointellectuals will believe it because it's in a book.
>>
>>311418
This is what I'm talking about>>316364

You think you're intelligent because apparently only you can understand the bullshit these guys were spewing. What is the dunning-kruger effect? We understand it Mr Einstein, the problem is it's all for the most part baseless or obvious, and indeed very pretentious.
>>
>>316169
I wonder why you try and create divide like that?
Don't you think a lot can be gained from both perspectives?
Personally I think philosophy is much more important for individual growth than an equation but I do love using computers at the same time.

>>316364
If a dead person said something I'd be inclined to listen to what they had to say.
>>
>>314570
Economic Philosophers are one rarity because theirs is the only ones that are immediately important.

People have launched government policies and wars because of them.

But yeah, fuck the rest of Philosophy.
>>
>>304961
I think Nietzsche's self-righteous prose is partially by design. You ought to read Nietzsche with a sense of humor because many of his passages are intended to be ironic, paradoxical. The whole persona which Nietzsche adopts is intended to be entertaining for the reader.
>>
>>304999
Don't forget Nietzsche's influence on the Nazis, the early Zionists, the French Theorists and countless artists, musicians and authors throughout the 20th century. He was massively, and at times inexpiable influential.
>>
Why waste all this energy on something you take to be implausible? I don't encounter some alchemist's writings and feel compelled to tell the world about how much shit it is. I wouldn't start reading it in the first place or if I did I'd stop soon after the first sentence. The fact you had such a strong reaction to Nietzsche's work suggests that you find it threatening, which in turn suggests there's something personally abhorrent in Nietzsche's work that nonetheless seems true to you. I mean, that's no reason to think this abhorrent piece of Nietzsche's though is on point, but note that people don't tend to have such a strong reaction to things they take to be obviously false.
>>
I mean what an unnatural world we would live in without philosophy. Not to sound like a dick head but for any civilised society to function we need some investigations into the mind, how "I" work, how I work with "others". It feels kind of ignorant of people now days to accuse philosophy of anything but the pursuit of knowledge. You argue that Science is some other enemy to philosophy but you forget about the Vienna Circle. etc. its not like philosophers have their head in the sand when it comes to the natural sciences, quite the opposite.
You argue that there is no value to philosopher but how people think and how governments act are based on philosophers work. How we go to war is dictated by a slighty modified version of the "just war theory". How we take care of our citeznes (in terms of health care, education etc) is based on various ethical theories. The organization NICE whole reason for existence is because of modern western society's reliance on Utlatiernism. It's hard to defend philosophy because everyone thinks they can do it (which is good) but don't realise that not everyone can do it well. It's one of the subjects that existed as soon as man could write, even arguably before that,some would say as soon as man could think. I mean much of scientific investigative methods is solely due to Aristotle works.
And about a lot of philiosphys being wrong, yeah that is true ( although its mainly other philosophers proving other philosophers wrong) for most subjects that have existed for so long.
>>
>People champion Evola is atheist traditionalists
>Just went through Ride the Tiger and he does not say at all what is the source of these [traditional values] and acts as if it's a self-evident thing

I don't want to think he's a pretentious twat, but I have a hard time doing it.
>>
>>316558
Personally, what about people like Bentham (an 18th century feminist)and Preistly, humble as they come when it comes to philosophy m8, people who just want to make the world a better place.
>>
>>316169
Has your life been enriched yet?
>>
>>316169
I wonder who invented falsifibility
>>
>>316558
People simply cant recognize that what they think and their ideas are a result of brilliant philosophers thinking about it and spreading their knowledge.
Different concepts and systems we take for granted were thought off by someone and did not exist before.
>>
>>316570
Evola is shit desu. I've only heard great praise for him from weird nRx types on imageboards and Italian fascists.
>>
>>314570
Socrates
Plato
Aristotle
Epictetus
Kant
Sade
Dostoevsky
Mishima
Foucault

Off the top of my head
>>
>>304961
>Caring about pretense

I guess you're one of those people who want everyone, even people who are demonstrably better than you to suck up to the idea that everyone is equal and have to be on the exact same level of mediocrity.

Yes, philosophers are pretentious, just like elite athletes and so is everyone else who knows they are worth something more than fitting a bullshit standard set by a spooked society.
>>
>>318407
>Dostoevsky
>Philosopher
Hold up
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.