[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw your language doesn't have a past tense that relates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
>tfw your language doesn't have a past tense that relates specifically to ancient history

I'm looking at you, Frenchies.
>>
>>300232
What? Passé antérieur?
>>
Butthurt not speaking French masterrace language.

Je te plains, mon pauvre ami.
>>
>>300232
look guys, it's trying to communicate!
>>
>implying the french language needs more unnecessary shit
ce thread me donne le cancer
>>
>>300232
What language does?
>>
French is a filthy shit of a language with some of the most torturous grammar devised. I will never forgive the Normans for ruining English by polluting it with their language.
Fuck you, William.
>>
>>300352
Ahaha! Quelle audace de parler ainsi!
>>
>>300352
How is your Olde English then?

Mec feonda sum feore besnyþede,
woruldstrenga binom, wætte siþþan,
dyfde on wætre, dyde eft þonan,
sette on sunnan þær ic swiþe beleas
herum þam þe ic hæfde. Heard mec siþþan
snað seaxses ecg, sindrum begrunden;
fingras feoldan, ond mec fugles wyn
geond speddropum spyrede geneahhe,
ofer brunne brerd, beamtelge swealg,
streames dæle, stop eft on mec,
siþade sweartlast. Mec siþþan wrah
hæleð hleobordum, hyde beþenede,
gierede mec mid golde; forþon me gliwedon
wrætlic weorc smiþa, wire bifongen.
Nu þa gereno ond se reada telg
ond þa wuldorgesteald wide mære
dryhtfolca helm— nales dol wite.
Gif min bearn wera brucan willað,
hy beoð þy gesundran ond þy sigefæstran,
heortum þy hwætran ond þy hygebliþran,
ferþe þy frodran, habbaþ freonda þy ma,
swæsra ond gesibbra, soþra ond godra,
tilra ond getreowra, þa hyra tyr ond ead
estum ycað ond hy arstafum
lissum bilecgað ond hi lufan fæþmum
fæste clyppað. Frige hwæt ic hatte,
niþum to nytte. Nama min is mære,
hæleþum gifre ond halig sylf.
>>
>>300352
>implying you don't appreciate the unique refreshing blend of Latin based on Germanic language rules as opposed to whatever filthy speak the Angles vomited out
>>
>>300374
Old English orthography makes my dick hard. Why the fuck did we ever replace thorn and ash with "th"?
Icelanders got something right.
>>
>>300376
The anglo jealousy on this entire site is delicious.
>>
>>300389

You better not be Celt. Your language is ugly as shit. French/Latin was a necessary evil to smooth over the ugliness of the Dutch/Frisian/low german shit-talk the Anglos-Saxons would have been stuck with had 1066 not happened.
>>
File: Ólafur Arnalds.jpg (5 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
Ólafur Arnalds.jpg
5 KB, 265x190
>>300380
I dig their family naming conventions too
>>
>French numbers
>>
>>300438
I have celtic features, but I speak English so I don't really know what you're getting at. The fact remains that English is the lingua franca and we have Shakespeare, so stay jelly you filthy irrelevant continental.
>>
>>300440
Oddly enough, I'm not actually that fond of Anglo names. They just sound kind of ugly.
Who the hell would willingly name a child 'Ecgberht'?
>>
>>300447
>I don't really know what you're getting at

I'm on your side. I'll let you figure out why.
>>
>>300453
Sounds pretty good if you pronounce it in ''Germanic''
>>
French does suck, I wish the Franks spread Low Franconian, or if it has to be romance atlest be occitan or povencal.
>>
>>300232

I wish to know, what do you mean with "a past tense that relates specifically to ancient history"
>>
>>300568
How is that?
>>
>>300374
Fucking Anglo Saxons coming over here, don't even speak the fucking language
>>
>>300809
>We will never have full knowledge of old English
>We will never regain any of the old texts written in those times
>So much of Germanic society and culture has been lost because their oral traditions were generally genocided out

Thank god for Iceland preserving what it did.
>>
I prefer modern English anyway, the only reason people fantasise over old English is because it's different. It old English and modern English had their roles reversed it'd be the same case.
>>
>>300352
This
Oh and, by the way, all French people deserve to die.
>>
OP still has not explained this "past tense that relates specifically to ancient history"
>>
>>300453
Old English names rock. Orlege, Toki, Edmund, Alfred, Leofwine, Edgar, Oswald, Redwald, Aethelstan are badass names. It's too bad the Normans made the English change their names.

Any Frog that rejoices at the Norman Conquest should keep in mind that thanks to the Bastard, England would be linked to squabbles in France. All those wars for French territory from 1066 to 1453 were because of the fact the Norman and Plantagenet Kings of England wanted to push their claims with English blood and money.
>>
I love Spanish and Italian, and I love English and German, but French sounds like some horrible rape baby between Germanic and Romance languages that should never have been born.
>>
>>302086
It's what happens when the Germanc barbarians invaded Iberia, Gaul, and the Italian peninsula. The Angles, Frisians, Jutes, and Saxons were remarkable that they were the only Germanics to impose their language and customs over a former Roman province. The Franks, Visigoths, and Lombards adapted the bastardized Latin that was spoken by their subjects and converted into Catholicism from Arian Christianity.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.