[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm watching The Musketeer and I was wondering about this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4
File: 05 (10).jpg (241 KB, 1400x943) Image search: [Google]
05 (10).jpg
241 KB, 1400x943
I'm watching The Musketeer and I was wondering about this era in French history. Are the rapier fights realistic? The French seem to have been pretty badass but what the fuck happened? Today they are a bunch of faggot baguette eating pussies.

What is truly the musketeer culture?
>>
The French have, since the end of the Hundred Years War, consistently been overwhelmingly strong in terms of military and economy. This never actually stopped. Even after WW2 they were still fighting for colonies. The dumb myth that the French are cowards is American because they didn't support the Afghanistan/Iraq interventions, and didn't join the coalitions. Now something bad happens to France and all of a sudden the government has their élan back and goes straight into bombing shit.
>>
>>299640
>he French seem to have been pretty badass but what the fuck happened? Today they are a bunch of faggot baguette eating pussies.
Near every thread about othwer nationalities like this is posted by an American, by some fat walt that takes some sort of personal pride in the achievements of others that share their nationality.
>I just saw Vikings, they were hella cool, what happened?
>>
>>299646
What about WW2? They got bitch slapped ruthlessly and had their brie cheese used as lube as they got ass fucked relentlessy.

>inb4 you mention the liberation army
>>
>>299661
The French battle plan against the German was as intuitive and straight-forward a plan as they can get. Hold the Maginot Line, invade the Rhineland through Alsace. The Maginot Line only covered Alsace-Lorraine, it did not exclude Belgium. By the time the French realized their error, it was already much too late. German tactics, weaponry, and machinery demonstrated quickly the importance of mobility and the nigh-uselessness of old fortresses. It was just too easy to roll over even the highly fortified Belgium, and then straight around into Champagne. In other words, the dynamic of war changed, and France got the memo too late.

I'll give you credit in this, though, the decision to allow Germany to re-militarize the Rhine was stupid, and they paid for it.
>>
>>299661
one thing that everyone forgets is that france is right next to germany, germans had to cross all of europe to get to the ussr and still slapped the shit out of them for years until the war turned around, despite the german military doctrine being already known to the soviets who could have observed it in france and the rest of europe

france was caught unprepared and was quickly overrun that does not change the fact that historically they have been a global military might, and even in modern history, france just recently had a successful war in Mali, and are now turning against isis
>>
>>299712
>germans had to cross all of europe to get to the ussr
uhh, germany and the ussr were literally next to each other at the time of barbarossa
>>
>>299661

This is more a product of the Germans doing really well in early WWII than France being really shit.

You getting suckerpunched by a professional boxer when you weren't looking after another exhausting fight (WWI) doesn't immediately mean you're shit at fighting.
>>
Even today France is the top military power in Europe and the only one consistently fighting Islamic terror.

It's only shit if you compare it to its former glory, but so is all of Europe.
>>
>>299640
French men aren't pussies, you've bought into a stupid meme that only Americans and optimistic Brits push. They're no more or less manly than any other western men. They just happen to be more romantic.
>>
>>299729
>You getting suckerpunched by a professional boxer when you weren't looking after another exhausting fight (WWI) doesn't immediately mean you're shit at fighting.

So France was shit militarily compared to the professionally boxing Germans? Did Germany not fight in WW1? That's a bad analogy.
>>
>>299659
Americans are ironically the biggest cowards I've met. This is the only country I've been to where a little fist fight is greeted immediately with massive law suites and a man acting like a crybaby just because someone used violence against him. Like fuck, I love America but some of you guys are chained to the peaceful and ordinary. It might sound weird, but friendly little fist fights are one of the things I miss most from eastern Europe.
>>
>>299700
>>299712
>>299729
The main issue was the highly unstable political situation in France.

In the 30s, French governments were changing every week. Lack of permanence makes it impossible to enact ambitious reforms, nobody could think long term anymore, and they failed to modernise their defense strategy despite De Gaulle's warnings (who at the time was an army colonel desperately trying to get the military modernised, motorised and built for speed, writing books about it which ironically were read by the Germans who used them as a blueprint for the first Panzerdivisionen).
>>
>>299750

During the French disaster that was the Western Front in WW2, Richard Evans wrote that some of the french generals actually broke down in tears during meetings and in the Command posts.

I don't know if that counts as "less manly" or "more romantic". Nor do I blame them, for that matter.
>>
>>299661
Nobody really saw the Blitz coming. Outside of Chamberlain fucking everything up, they sorta did fine until the Germanz Blitzed, and that was the war.
>>
>>299763
This proves how much of pussies the Frenchanese really are.
>>
>>299768
Chamberlain was the British prime minister though.
>>
>>299768
>The French were good until they got their shit pushed in with no lube.
>>
>>299773
just like the germans then
>>
>>299773
You realise no country in the world managed to withstand German invasion in WW2, except for Russia, but by that time the whole world was fighting Germany, they were getting huge material support from America, they had had three more years to prepare, they had a giant expanse of land, winter on their side, and an unending reservoir of tens of millions of soldiers from every corner of Eurasia, and even they almost lost.
>>
>>299777
No. According to his post he said the French were good until they lost, ignoring the fact the French didn't hold out very long and got over run and defeated without a fight. They pretty much surrendered their entire country.

The differences in the two are different. Whereas the Germans being a small country mobilized and took the majority of Europe for many years until an alliance system needed to be formed to take them out. His statement is obnoxious because of the short term and relatively miniscule success of France.
>>
>>299788
>and got over run and defeated without a fight
uhh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France
>>
>>299796
>1,900,000 captured
>2,233 aircraft lost
>360,000 casualties

1.9 million captured... You call that a fight? By WW2 standards this was a sweep by the Germans.
>>
>>299783

>You realise no country in the world managed to withstand German invasion in WW2, except for Russia

I would argue that not even Soviet did. After all, the only thing that saved them was their geographical size. Had the country been smaller, their production capabilities would have been siezed.
>>
>>299801
well yeah i call five million dudes shooting at each other for a month or two a fight
>>
>>299809
>I would argue that not even the Soviet did (withstand the German invasion).
>After all, if real life was completely different, they wouldn't have withstood the German invasion (unlike in real life, where they had done so).
>>
>>299700
Blame Belgium for that one. The line wasn't extended along the Belgian border because they were allied to France at the time. But then Belgium broke the alliance and declared neutrality for "safety". Look how great that worked out.
>>
>>299812
It was a month and the French pussies had help from other countries. It took the Germans only one month to demolish France and capture 2 million soldiers. One month.
>>
>>299829
hmm..
>10 May – 25 June 1940 (1 month and 15 days)
>>
>>299829
well no one is disputing that the Germans achieved a quick victory
but you are the one disputing the fact that there was a fight
>>
>>299814

lol

ok you got a point
>>
>Fun fact

Do you guys know which country held out the longest before surrendering to the Nazis?

Norway.
>>
>>299831
You said two months, I said one month so hmmm yourself you brie smelling french slimy frog.
>>
>>299838
Comparing who held out the longest is pointless, it's not like every invasion was the same on either side of the conflict. The fall of France was perhaps the most shocking because you had a reasonably strong army defeated by basically an unprecedented, single strategic masterstroke. Had the push through Ardennes or crossing of the Meuse failed, who knows what would have happened.
>>
>>299844
no i said "a month or two" because i did not remember the exact dates
>>
>>299640
If you want somewhat realistic rapier fights, watch Alatriste
>>
>>299847
Nice way to back track
>N-N-NOOO I S-S-SAID M-MONTH ORRRRRRRRR TWOOOO

You said two months still.
>>
>>299849
please stop lying on the internet, i literally said "a month or two" as you can clearly see in >>299812
also you are the one who said there was no fight in france at the time
>>
>>299640
>France today
>baguette eating pussies

France has one of the most active militaries today. Do you not pay any attention to the news? Syria, Mali, Libya, Ivory Coast, France has been doing a shit ton of interventions. It just that unlike most of Europe, they aren't afraid to say no the Yanks

and from a historical perspective France has one of the best military records around.
>>
>>299640
>France today
>baguette eating pussies

France has one of the most active militaries today. Do you not pay any attention to the news? Syria, Mali, Libya, Ivory Coast, France has been doing a shit ton of interventions. It just that unlike most of Europe, they aren't afraid to say no the Yanks

and from a historical perspective France has one of the best military records around. Most of European military history from 17th century until 1871 was "how do we contain France?"
>>
>>299855
>>299857
dubs gave me dubs post apparently
>>
>>299640
>not watching the soviet Three Musketeers
missing out 2bh
>>
>>299851
A month or two still includes you saying two months. Are you dense? And 6 weeks to completely demolish, over run and conquer France is not a fight. The French surrendered with very very little resistance.
>>
>>299788
The reason French didn't hold out long wasn't because they were shit in military or fighting spirit but because their government was useless and did not commit to anything related military. The military commanders like De Gaulle were promoting use of tanks and talking about importance of highly mobilized fighting forces before WWII ever started.

The problem was French government didn't acknowledge this and thought manginot coupled with then outdated form of warfare with infantry supported with tanks would be enough.

Goes to show you how ineffective a democracy is compared to an autocratic regime when it comes to war.
>>
>>299862
>the French were talking about getting good without actually getting good
>>
File: frenchies and germs.png (48 KB, 512x769) Image search: [Google]
frenchies and germs.png
48 KB, 512x769
>>299861
Compared to what? Denmark and Netherlands surrendered way faster. French also put up a fight and their FFA kept on fighting long after.

You are just speaking in memes and nazibooism right now. French failed not because they were "cowards" but because their military drill was outdated, much thanks to their government.
>>
>>299861
yes, it includes saying two months, with the caveat of the actual length being quite possibly much lower, hence the "a month" part, with the entire phrase being indicative of the period in question lasting not exactly a month but not the full extent of two months either, incidentally rather fitting for a timespan of one and a half month
a caveat your exclamation of "it was one month" does not include
simple logic, you see
>>
>>299861
>And 6 weeks to completely demolish, over run and conquer France is not a fight.
>6 weeks of warfare between millions of men is not a fight.
K E K
E
K

Well at least now we know that the Germans did not fight to defend Berlin against the Soviets.
>>
>>299869
If government gave green light to French military, it would have been up to par, this is a politics problem not a military competence problem.

So you have a millenium of history, full of military victories and innovations but one war they lost mainly because of political instability after giving a fight and this somehow makes them pussies?

Get a grip. Even by Germans, French were known to be warmongers, all the way up until WW2.
>>
>>299872
Yeah and Denmark and Netherlands don't pretend to have fought hard or be tough guys like the French pussies.

The FFA is a joke. Stop pretending like France fought hard. They collectively gave their country up and decided the ability to eat baguettes, snails and frogs for a few seconds longer was worth it.

>>299874
You still said two months.
>>
>>299884
>You still said two months.
which, in and of itself, would indeed be as close (or far) from the actual length of the fight as your statement
but, unlike yours, my choice of words was not as limited, and ultimately proved to be closer in describing the lenght of the conflict
i win again, there is no need for you to keep digging that hole
>>
>>299876
Germany didn't fall in 6 weeks. The entirety of France did. Are you stupid or just retarded.

>comparing the Battle of France to the Battle of Berlin, one single German city
>>
>>299884
>Yeah and Denmark and Netherlands don't pretend to have fought hard or be tough guys like the French pussies.
No one calls them cowards though, unlike French which have a long history of being an overwhelming military power but for some reason called cowards because they fought and lost in WW2, then govt surrendered before all of the army was decimated.

You wanted them to fight until bitter end and nothing was left standing on French soil? That's not brave, that's just stupid.

>The FFA is a joke. Stop pretending like France fought hard. They collectively gave their country up and decided the ability to eat baguettes, snails and frogs for a few seconds longer was worth it.
Now you are just trolling.
>>
>>299881
>if France was good they would have been good
>>
>>299891
You still said two months

>>299897
The French were cowards during WW2 through and through and didn't know how to be any other way. Their entire country conquered, their entire military decimated in only 6 weeks.
>>
>>299907
and yet i was still closer than you with your uneducated guess :^)
>>
>>299896
>>299876
Just FYI the Battle of Berlin was an operation spanning a front of some 250 miles from Dresden to Stettin, it was not just a single city.
>>
>>299915
You said two months which is grossly wrong, nice try though
>>
>>299898
>if
They were good for a millennium, with only a temporary failure on their part, in a war that was won.

>>299907
>The French were cowards during WW2 through and through and didn't know how to be any other way. Their entire country conquered, their entire military decimated in only 6 weeks.
What does losing have anything to do with being cowards? French fought and died in the hundreds of thousands.

They lost because they didn't utilize proper war tactics of the time, nothing to do with courage.

Just for your information. French invaded whole of Prussia without tanks in less than 6 weeks before, are Germans cowards too?
>>
>>299924
you do not seem to realize that by repeating this half-truth you are only painting yourself as being much more "grossly wrong"
please do not be frustrated by being wrong on the internet
>>
>>299907
>Their entire country conquered, their entire military decimated in only 6 weeks.
But their entire country was not conquered, nor was their entire military decimated?
>>
>>299927
>They lost because they didn't utilize proper war tactics of the time, nothing to do with courage.
You're right, they were downright retarded.
Stupidity is even worse than cowardice.
>>
>>299927
>our cavemen were stronger than your cavemen

Do you know what the modern era is? No one thinks Italians are a good military because of the Romans. Italians can't into modern warfare and neither can France. France is literally meatball tier but with fags, frogs, snails and baguettes up their asses. If you can't comprehend that then you're literally a dumbass.
>>
>>299935
Says Mr. Two Months
>>
>>299942
If that is the case then Germany in WW2 certainly takes the cake, what with its declaring war against industrially vastly superior countries and instigating fighting across multiple fronts.
>>
>>299640
>Today they are a bunch of faggot baguette eating pussies

go back to /int/
>>
>>299948
please 4chan is a 18+ site
>>
>>299640

>The French seem to have been pretty badass but what the fuck happened?

Belgium fucking happened.
>>
>>299640
>Today they are a bunch of faggot baguette eating pussies.
Today they are one of the most militarily active nations in the world, what are you on about.
>>
>>299646

>ISIS attack Paris
>President Hollande goes full EXTERMINATE
>hurr French are cowards lel
>>
>>299945
1800s counts as modern era. Currently French military is one of the most capable, it also is very active.

I don't know what are you even on about right now, French are bad because they lost a battle? There must be no good military according to you then.
>>
>>299952
You said the Battle of France took either a month or two months and when you get called out on your bullshit you bitch and moan about it instead of admitting you're a stupid piece of shit. Had you said between a month and two months, this could have been avoided but you're literally retarded.

Pathetic. You still said two months.
>>
>>299945
>Italians can't into modern warfare and neither can France.
Confirmed for retarded.France currently has one of the best armies out there.
>>
>>299968
>French are bad because they lost a battle?
>Battle for the entirety of France in which they gave up and surrendered 1.9 million soldiers
>>
>>299974
How about no. France has one of the shittiest militaries.
>>
>>299973
the phrase "a month or two" does not mean "either one month, or two months"
funnily enough, even assuming i had said it took "either one month, or two months", which i had not, then right now you are calling yourself a stupid shit as well, seeing as you had said it took a month (and, unlike me, without adding "possibly more")
>>
>>299979
Statistics say it has the fourth or fifth best military in the world, after USA, URSS, China and along with UK, if taking into accounts numbers, millitary spending, spread, equipment quality and training
>>
>>299984
>says it took a month or two
>I TOTES DIDNOT MEAN EXACTLY THE WORDS IS SOD HAHAHAH JK XDDDDD LMAO

Talk about damage control...
>>
>>299979
Mate fuck off with your flamebait trolling bullshit

I am out
>>
>>299989
please 4chan is a 18+ site
>>
>>299989
Holy shit dude chill out.
>>
>>299986
>URSS
French faggot detected. You are the product of cowards breeding with cowards. So your military is behind Russia... China... and the Uk... And you still have this idea your military is one of the best in world? No, USA, UK, Russia, and China have some of the best militaries in the world. You toads are only good at eating frogs, snails, baguettes and using brie cheese as lube to get assfucked.
>>
>>300006
lmao you're fat and stupid
>be american
>get shot

(yes this is how low the level is itt)
>>
>>299646
>The dumb myth that the French are cowards is American because they didn't support the Afghanistan/Iraq interventions, and didn't join the coalitions.

It was older than 2000's mang. The reason why French are LE SURRENDERFAGS is because...they surrendered in WWII.

Not even half of the country was occupied by Hitler Old Boy when they fucking did.
>>
>>300006
lmao this guy. Did a frenchman fuck your mother or something?
>>
File: are you.jpg (72 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
are you.jpg
72 KB, 600x450
>>300006
Good heavens!
>>
>>300019
That's merely what Bongs call banter.
He probably mistook /his/ for /int/.
>>
>>300023
It's not even banter, bong or aussie banter is good, this is just cringeworthy amerifat on a sperglord spree.
>>
File: abbott.jpg (270 KB, 1015x678) Image search: [Google]
abbott.jpg
270 KB, 1015x678
>>300029
>bong or aussie banter is good
If only, most of the time banter is just another word for shitposting.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.