[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 480.png (71 KB, 592x554) Image search: [Google]
480.png
71 KB, 592x554
When did people begin to address the American Revolution as such? I know for a fact the term 'revolution' was restricted to the astronomical domain until around 1789, so it couldn't have been contemporary. Was it a retroactive naming after the French Revolution? But who started it and why?
>>
Pretty obvious, Americans trying to take credit.
>>
Basically >american >revolution should be a meme on the same tier as >holy >roman >empire.
>>
>>299580
>I know for a fact the term 'revolution' was restricted to the astronomical domain until around 1789
Glorious Revolution 1688 fuck off and die.
>>
>>299658
You ever think that might have been a name given to it later?
OED gives the French révolutionner's first use as 1789 in political contexts, first similar use of revolution in English as 1805.
>>
>>299658
>Glorious Revolution

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>299678
You ever read?

>The expression "Glorious Revolution" was first used by John Hampden in late 1689 [In testimony before a House of Lords committee in the autumn of 1689 (Schwoerer, L.G. (2004). The Revolution of 1688–89: Changing Perspectives. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-52614-0., p. 3)]
>>
>>299696
You could have started off with the source rather than just memeing "i'm right ur rong feg".
>>
Interestingly, the term 'revolution' was used back then to describe the opposite of what it did in 1789: not the reversal of order but its reformation. The astronomical metaphor is a case in point here, heavenly bodies go through 'revolution' to return to the same position.
>>
>>299702
Or you could do the most basic research and be familiar with massive renovations in English protestant law, as if that had anything to do with a bunch of too dumb to run a sugar death camp catholic bastards and luther lovers.
>>
>>299748
Thomas Morus had more sense in his head than an entire army of protestant usurpers. Via media my ass.
>>
>>299755
If works set you free I hope you find them in a camp like Solly did.
>>
>>299765
Better than finding them on a toilet bowl like Martin did. Or on the scaffold like Henry's wives.
>>
>>299781
There is a place beyond orthodox and heterodox, pope and patriarch, prince and priest, Luther and other liars. omnia sunt communia
>>
File: The History of England Cover.jpg (120 KB, 1084x622) Image search: [Google]
The History of England Cover.jpg
120 KB, 1084x622
>>299580
>>299658
>>299678
>>299696

Another reference in pic related
>>
>>299589
Actually true tier?
>>
We should just call it the American war of independence
>>
It was originally called "The Freedom War", or "The War of British Aggression" by Americans, but British scholars shilled the named "American Revolution".
>>
>>302020
This is what we call it in schools

Good schools i mean. Cant speak for the compton high schools of the world
>>
>>301971
Neither American nor Revolution
>>
>>302041
>"The Freedom War"
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.