[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christianity just isn't doing it for me. I love god but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: bible-Sunlight.jpg (95 KB, 1600x965) Image search: [Google]
bible-Sunlight.jpg
95 KB, 1600x965
Christianity just isn't doing it for me. I love god but I can't accept Jesus as a savior and the bible for the most parts kind of silly if you look at it literally.

I want to have beliefs that take from Christianity paganism and buddhism.

I just want a religion but abrahamic ones are so bad.
>>
Why not take the parts you like from all different philosophies and go with that? Don't feel pressured to confine yourself within one single religion if you can't do so.
>>
>>298643
That's what I plan on doing but I want to read more about paganism and buddhism but they are harder to learn about
>>
>>298655

Try Stoic texts in lieu of Buddhism and see what you think of it. The writing is a lot better and there are less mystical claims.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45109/45109-h/45109-h.htm
>>
>>298625
Why are you so content to be so ignorant? Study and feel more confident in your faith. You are making the wrong decision.
>>
>>298625
>thinking you can just pick a religion and have it be real
>>
Read this:

http://integrateddaniel.info/book/

It was my first book on Buddhism and I've revisited it over the years and found much to learn.

As far as paganism goes maybe look into Neoplatonism and Iamblichus and Plotinus.
>>
>>298669
I like to live in fantasy when it comes to religion. There's a part of me that needs that fantasy because reality is just tough. I do well with reality but we need some sort of escape.

>>298663
Thank you brother
>>
>>298679
>I like to live in fantasy when it comes to religion. There's a part of me that needs that fantasy because reality is just tough. I do well with reality but we need some sort of escape.
um okay.
>>
>>298625

Sounds like you want to read Julius Evola.
His spiritual views are a fusion of Roman Paganism, Buddhism, Hermeticism, Hinduism and only those parts of Catholicism that are derived from Greek, Roman, and Roman traditions.
>>
Make up your own.

I did.

It's very simple. There's one God, he's good but apathetic as fuck, and all he asks is that you're nice to other people.

No eternal hell, but he'll probably set you up in a nice afterlife if that's what you really want and you're not a huge cunt.
>>
T A O I S M
A
O
I
S
M
>>
File: 1446923390985.png (338 KB, 712x483) Image search: [Google]
1446923390985.png
338 KB, 712x483
>>
>>298625
>>298643
>>298705
It sounds to me that you guys only want a religion that satisfies yourself. That's not what religion is about at all. If you go into a religion just to find peace or spiritual enlightenment, you will never truly find it. If you are following a religion for prideful or selfish reasons, it won't work, because you won't actually be following it.

OP, the reason Christianity isn't doing it for you, is because you're concerned about what it will do for you. That's the opposite of what Christianity is about.
>>
>>298879
>want a religion that satisfies yourself
It's wrong to desire happiness? Are you a buddhist perhaps?
>That's not what religion is about at all
Religion is about believing in or worshiping supernatural powers
>If you go into a religion just to find peace or spiritual enlightenment, you will never truly find it.
Who are you to say this? I'm happy with my faith.

>If you are following a religion for prideful or selfish reasons, it won't work
How? Everything we do is selfish when you think about it.
>>
>>298879

This. Most people are non-spiritual or agnostic these days, and when they are spiritual and have some relation to religion they prefer to choose a more pagan and "fluid" path that will basically tell them spiritual enlightenment and being righteous is doing decent things while still pleasing yourself and "evolving" your consciousness.

They just want something that allows them to be self-serving and hedonistic while not being a total ass tbqh.

>>298898
Religion is about following a doctrine, actually. It can be theological and philosophical.
If you're reading the bible literally then that's on you. Convert to loose New Ageism or Islam then, since that seems to be more your style.
>>
>>298898

not true religionists. it's the people who don't actually believe in God who see themselves as autonomous vessels with no higher power to judge them, who only think about "me, me, me", or at the very least, think about someone else with the reason being they want to be treated the same as themself.
>>
>>298916
yup people are hellbound retards.
>>
>>298898
>It's wrong to desire happiness? Are you a buddhist perhaps?
I'm not Buddhist, but if happiness is your main desire, that can become selfishness, and it'll probably be hard for you to actually find happiness. Spiritual joy is often found when you aren't actively seeking it. Like when you're helping others, working on something, being nice to others, etc.

>Who are you to say this? I'm happy with my faith.
It doesn't matter who I am. I'm just giving you my thoughts on the subject. You don't have to agree with me.

>How? Everything we do is selfish when you think about it.
I don't think everything we do is selfish. I disagree with that. But Buddhism and Christianity (and I'm sure some other religions too) are all about helping others and learning humility.
>>
>>298916
>Religion is about following a doctrine, actually
Nope. Not according to the definition.
>that seems to be more your style.
Islam is too rigid and dogmatic. And New Agers are irrational.
>>298921
>not true religionists
Like Scotsmen?
>it's the people who don't actually believe in God who see themselves as autonomous vessels with no higher power to judge them
I believe God exists, and punishes/redeems cunts. Just not for an eternity of suffering.
>>298938
>that can become selfishness
Every action we take is selfish
>Spiritual joy is often found when you aren't actively seeking it
Indeed. There's a Hindu folktale I love about an atheist who finds union with God after a lifetime of upholding dharma without concern for deities.
>You don't have to agree with me.
Yes
>But Buddhism and Christianity (and I'm sure some other religions too) are all about helping others and learning humility.
And that's a good thing.

Still, we help others because we want to. It makes us happy.
>>
>>298960
>Every action we take is selfish
>Still, we help others because we want to. It makes us happy.

Source?
>>
>>298679
>>298685

It's actually a very mature thing to admit. Most people, maybe everyone, does this anyway in some way or another.
>>
>>298965
Why do you help people?

Because it doesn't give you happiness or satisfaction on any level? You just feel compelled to do it?
>>
>>298625
You worry too much about religious labels. God isn't found through joining religious groups and giving yourself titles.

I also don't know what you expect us to do for you itt.
>>
File: lil_b_grammys_blocked_gig.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lil_b_grammys_blocked_gig.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>298625
You're not supposed to take the Bible literally.

You need to strengthen your spiritual relationship with God. Do charitable works if possible, but every night this is what you should do: get comfortable in a place where you find solace, relax, and just talk to God. Whether you want to ask for direction in life, thank God for things in your life, ask for things in your life, etc.

While praying, also try to mediate about things in your life that your thankful for. This could be things like being alive, having necessities, being able to resit your anxiety, etc. whatever it may be.
>>
>>299089
Why shouldn't I take the bible literally?
Why follow it if it's just metaphors?
>>
>>299309
The figurative language explains how one should conduct their lives.

Take the poor woman in the temple for example: [21:1] As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. [2] He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. [3] "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. [4] All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Now, you can believe this event actually happened. I prefer to believe. However even not taking it as fact still yields the same message: your charity doesn't matter if you aren't truly giving out of your pocket (so to speak)

If you take the Bible literally, you'll assume that Jesus cursed a fig tree just to curse one, a man lived in a whale, and that unicorns exist (it was actually referring to a rhino). Interpreting it like this is not only wrong, but it'll lead you to become the typical Christian fundamentalist who doesn't know what they are talking about.
>>
>>299344
So what my money isn't good enough if I've got enough to spare?
>>
>>298879
>If you go into a religion just to find peace or spiritual enlightenment, you will never truly find it. If you are following a religion for prideful or selfish reasons, it won't work, because you won't actually be following it.

You've missed the point of the posts. It's not about following one specific religion, it's about following the things you personally believe in, and in the case of most people that involves bringing different philosophies together.
>>
>>298625

Please stop listening to protestants and have yourself a chat with a traditional Catholic priest.
>>
>>298625

>I just want a religion but abrahamic ones are so bad.

Don't be that guy who see's something is bullshit but continues to believe it. That's delusion.

You don't "need" one either.

>>298669

>Why are you so content to be so ignorant?

Ask yourself this. Pulling the blanket over your head doesn't make the monsters go away.

>Study and feel more confident in your faith. You are making the wrong decision.

Don't listen to this. Do not try to delude yourself.

>>298679

What you are trying to is what I believe is called escapism, which everyone does to some fashion. No one likes to accept reality, especially if your view of reality is bleak, for whatever reason. Very few people can handle a bleak horizon, and most of those do it by detachment.

Escapism however, is not healthy. As I will restate, pulling the blanket over you doesn't get rid of the monsters, nor does it protect you from them.

Willingly trying to delude yourself is also pathetic behavior. I seriously hope you don't continue doing that.

And please, please don't do stupid shit like>>298705
>>
>>298625
Just believe in whatever you believe, don't just blindly follow a tag. You love God but don't accept Jesus? Pray to God, not Jesus. You like pagan things? Then just change your way of live and do as you please.
I was rised a Catholic, but I don't believe in God (in the strict definition at least) so I just live a sane life and yeah occasionally I pray, but I don't name it god, gods or whatever.

Just follow your own path.
>>
Almost 2016 and there are still weak plebs believing in imaginary friends and needing religion because their little lives are too tough...
I cringe for the species.
>>
>>299837
>"It's almost the next year!"
>"I mean, COME ON!"
>>
File: 1446989486519.jpg (86 KB, 1198x687) Image search: [Google]
1446989486519.jpg
86 KB, 1198x687
>>299870
>>
>>299775
>Do not try to delude yourself.
>implying that's what I was recommending.
I meant he should study more because there's no reason why any Christian save for pure ignorance should be in doubt about the Faith.
>>
>>298625
>I want to have beliefs that take from Christianity paganism and buddhism.
>I just want a religion

You think religions are toys or clothes you can put on when you want?

Sounds to me you're just desperately trying to find an excuse for yourself to justify your escapism or make it more acceptable to others.

If you hate the world we live in so much that you have to resort to forcefully accepts precepts from a certain branch of religious beliefs I have only one thing to tell you.

Grow up.

If you really don't like the way things are work and devote your efforts and energies in order to change those.
>B...but I'm alone, and meaningless and powerless in the grand scheme of things
Bullshit and another excuse for justifying lazyness, not even religions excuse this, "God helps those who help themselves" as they say.
Missionaries went to buttfuck nowhere and died horrible deaths to spread the word because that's what they believed that would make the world better, you can do the exact same with your own goal as long as you throw away that ignorance and fear of yours.

Find something you truly want to do with your life and devote yourself to it, get some people you could truly call friends and treasure them as much as they treasure you, respect others and yourself, educate yourself as much as possible and don't be a closeminded asshole, these are the only precepts you need in life, all the rest is fluff, serendipity and empty sophism used to feed frail egos.
>>
>>299943

>You think religions are toys or clothes you can put on when you want?

Welcome to 4chan contrarianism, enjoy your stay
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.