[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Women in History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Ingres_coronation_charles_vii.jpg (261 KB, 800x1070) Image search: [Google]
Ingres_coronation_charles_vii.jpg
261 KB, 800x1070
Educate me in the verses of history where women played a major role
Side question, why do you think less women conquered and and controlled nations than men?
>>
Discriminatory inheretance laws.
>>
>>298139
Well, why did that occur?
Why did the women of those families not fight this, or if they did, how did they lose?
>>
>>298145
I don't know, but men has traditionally been seen as the "stronger" sex. The protection and the decision making in a family has mostly been taken by the father and it is natural for a lot of people to extend this to the country.
This is what a patriarchy is btw, a society run by fathers.
>>
>>298153
Maybe it had something to do with the proliferation and spread of Proto-Indo-Europeans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Europeans
>>
>>298163
Afro-Asiatic societies were patriarchal too though.
>>
>>298132
Humans evolved so that men are stronger and smarter than women in order to protect them and provide for them and their children. They pretty much chilled throughout history doing nothing but spreading their legs and raising kids while the men built nations and fought wars for them. Still true today.
>>
>>298201
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>298153
>but men has traditionally been seen as the "stronger" sex
Perhaps because, by and large, it's true.
>>
>>298185
>>298163
>>298153
Most of human society was patriarchal

Matriarchal societies were always doomed to fail and got rekt badly by patriarchal societies
>>
>>298611
why?
>>
>>298629
Have you ever worked somewhere with a disproportionate amount of female employees?
>>
>>298637
I'm barely in the workforce man.
>>
GLORIFIED
>>
The Mongols had a lot things done by women.

It was a small society relative to the amount of land/people it controlled, and most of the men were off doing Mongol shit.

Also, there were multiple succession crises where women ended up running the empire until a new Khan could be tracked down.
>>
>>298132
Lose a woman you lose your kids, lose a man noone gives a fuck

Plus men want to know the kid is there's so a gradual erosion of women's status ensued. Keep them placid, keep them controlled
>>
>>298637
Seconded. the amount of talking behind eachother's back was unnerving
>>
>>298604
Depends on what you look at as strength.
>>
>why do you think less women conquered and and controlled nations than men?

Because the main motivation for conquering and controlling nations is to obtain women, obviously...
>>
>>298132
Nature made it this way.

Back in pre-history the women stayed back to take care of the home,to take care of the children,etc

Meanwhile the men went hunting,they had to provide.And protect the women,the children,the elderly etc. And generally to lead the tribe.
Like the king or any leader is meant to do for his people,and those kind of people had major roles in history.

They also went to war while women didn't.
And much of history was made by warriors and generals.

As a result of war they also were the ones dealing with other tribes. Which is the basis for diplomacy.

Men just inherited the duties they always had.

>>298201
Maybe an asshole about it sure,you could dismiss him for being butthurt but really he isn't that far from the truth
>>
>>299562
spaces after commas faggot
>>
Because 90% of men lived in horrible conditions. If women tried to fulfill their job, they would have died.
>>
Did women ever participate in concubinage?

Like, did they have their own concubines if they were powerful warriors/leaders?
>>
>>298629
Wome hate each other, the amounts of bitching, talking behind backs, sleazy comments, petty vengances and never ending hate for minor grievances is pretty funny to observe.
Plus minor amount of muscle, the way they body is shaped and how easy is for them to be injured makes them hard to use as warriors or huntsmen, than its were prestige was obtained in primitive times.
>>
>>300379
Catherine the Great pretty much had a harem of men
>>
>>300446
>implying men aren't petty and many wars weren't caused by stupid, minor shit
>>
>>298132
Are women real tho? They never talk to me
>>
>>298132
Exporting Christianity . There many pre-colonial examples in which before European Colonialism was introduced in which laws reflecting those ideal were introduced as well. Many countries such pre-colonial Vietnam , Phillpines , Indonesia , Dahomey etc that has a culture reflected unto law that allows equal inheritance laws, participation in military service , Participation in political affairs etc. etc but after introduction of colonial cultural laws the colonial areas started to reflect the laws in which is upheld with the cultural principles in which those laws are made African homphobic rhetoric usually equate Gay rights as a western agenda completely ignoring the past prevalent homosexual practices existing
>>
>>298132
Even with such colonial mindsets there are many countries which still continues to its pre-gender equal roots in which is reflected by existing modern day observations. Phillipines is one of the 3 countries in the world in which women outnumber men as political representatives.
Vietnam still holds many female warrior rulers as national heroes to emanate and represent the nationalism it fought against the french for.
>>
>>298611
I'm a Minangese and Minangese were pretty matriachal in a sense that every family possessions belongs to the woman.

And Minangese still exists and hold their culture today thanks to them being traders. So much that people call them the Jews of Indonesia.
>>
>>298132
At the same light , islam as well Chinese Values (i cant really be sure which but i am guessing it would be confucianism which values breadwinners i think) Are also propagates of why they were barred from many things as well.

Islam is a weird example because the actually in its conception its actually very is so liberal in so many concepts like religious tolerance and female rights. Its just after the Al-Rashid era in which clerical conservatism took hold in which started their descent to political obscurity back to being goods to be traded
>>
>>298611
>doomed to fail
Don't you mean colonised then we write in the history books they are doomed to fail to make it look like it was natural.

>>298637
So no Conceptual theory basis in the view of your views. How intellectual
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 500x371
>>299488
>>300446
>muh gossip
Seriously?
I hear backtalk from men just about as much.
>>
>why do you think less women conquered and and controlled nations than men?

I believe it might be slightly related to the fact that women weren't allowed into regular standing armies until the late 1900's. As for monarchs, well, aside from Isabella and Elizabeth, women were barely even accepted as monarchs until the 1700's. So the circumstances weren't exactly in their favor.
>>
>>300345
>implying those 90% didn't have daughters, sisters or wives living in the same conditions

On a side note, here are some examples of Swedish women who disguised themselves as men and enlisted, and fought for quite a while before their gender was discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brita_Hagberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisa_Bernerstr%C3%B6m
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrika_Eleonora_St%C3%A5lhammar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_J%C3%B6ransdotter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margareta_Elisabeth_Roos
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.