[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17
File: 1440438357640.jpg (256 KB, 970x937) Image search: [Google]
1440438357640.jpg
256 KB, 970x937
What went wrong?
>>
Define "wrong".

btw does anyone else hate the rule that you are supposed to place punctuation inside quotation marks at the end of a sentence?
>>
>>295649
We discovered the truth about the ayylmaos
>>
>>295649
Americans are a big portion of the consumers.
>>
>>295652
They are put outside of the quotes in Britain
>>
>>295652
I can't stand that either, it makes it look like you're quoting the period or comma even if it's not in there.
>>
They decided they wanted to make money.

And this >>295662
>>
>>295685
three here. Autists unite
>>
>>295652
Period goes outside, everything else goes inside.
>>
Anyone have the pasta comparing British nature documentaries to American ones?

>"This majestic creature, foraging for food"

vs

>*GENERIC ROCK*
>"YA WOULDN'T WANT ONE OF THESE KILLERS IN YER BACKYARD!"
>>
>>295721
Second sounds more like an Aussie nature docu tbqpawh (to be quite perfectly and wholly honest)
>>
>>295649

Same thing that happened to Discovery Channel.

They discovered a smash hit based on something unrelated to their original lineup, and before you know it everyone is making a show about Alaska or ancient aliens.
>>
>>295714
>/britbong/
>>
>>295714
Depends on what your quoting. "What went wrong?" is perfectly valid in this context.
>>
>>295649
I hate the Canadian history channel as well.

When I was a kid they had actual history programs running. They even had hbo history bites.

Now all they have is pawnstars, a show about low income pilots in the far north, a show about hillbilly gold miners in the far north, a show people who drive freight trucks in the far north, a show about people who clean up the wreckages of people who drive freight trucks in the far north, a show about people who live in house boats, a show about red neck hicks who live in a bog and hunt crocodiles, and a show about two American faggots who buy and resell trash, a show about two Canadian faggots who buy and resell trash, a show about a guy who does restorations, and a bunch of other trash non historical programming.

They need to give up the History Channel name and rebrand themselves ffs.

Makes me mad as fuck.
>>
>>295808
Why the fuck are they pandering to hillbillies, rednecks, ghetto blacks, etc?
>>
They aren't federally funded like BBC documentaries are.
>>
>>295808
This is EXACTLY why cabel will die out as people move to Netflix, and other web based stuff.

And the funny thing is the network heads won't blame themselves for the shift.
>>
>>295649
>2011-2016: "Sorry, but I'll have to call my friend Sean, who is an expert on guns."
>>
>>295830
I use Roku. I've been able to watch every debate through it and with Colbert not being on Comedy Central the only thing I miss is Adult Swim.
>>
File: 94LyLm1.png (175 KB, 645x589) Image search: [Google]
94LyLm1.png
175 KB, 645x589
>>295721
>>
File: Yesterday-300x232.jpg (12 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
Yesterday-300x232.jpg
12 KB, 300x232
>>295649
Luckily Britain has a better replacement
>>
>>295933
>MOTHER-SUCKER
>>
>>295652
>>295685
They go outside, period. They belong to the main sentence, not the quoted sentence.

It's obvious that ((the people who came up with such a rule) didn't understand (the concept of parenthesization)).
>>
File: time magazine around the world.jpg (566 KB, 895x2388) Image search: [Google]
time magazine around the world.jpg
566 KB, 895x2388
>>295721
I have this.
>>
People stopped caring about what actually happened in history and more focused on what "should" happen.

kinda like this board
>>
>>295808
Fellow Canook here, so much this. And to top it all off, fucking MASH all day erry day.

>yfw the movie of the week on HistoryTelevision is The Mummy, again
>>
File: rip.jpg (54 KB, 398x608) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
54 KB, 398x608
>>
>>296005
it's like they want the rest of the world as depressed as possible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness
>>
File: 1447031639628.jpg (5 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
1447031639628.jpg
5 KB, 254x198
>mfw Pawn Stars has more history than the average conspirashit show/special History Channel airs.
>>
>>296940
RIP

At least Discover is still a dope magazine.
>>
>>296940
>yfw this means saggy-boobed African ghosts pictorials
>>
File: 69.png (24 KB, 102x104) Image search: [Google]
69.png
24 KB, 102x104
>grow up watching Discovery and The Science Channel
>study Physics at university
>classmates with a few astrophysics majors
>overhear them talking about one of their assignments
>explain to them some shit I remember from all the space mini-docs I watched as a kid
>wow anon how did you know all that?
>mfw kids today will never have that experience
>>
>>296940
Was anyone honestly still reading National Geographic? I remember seeing that shit in school libraries but that was it.
>>
>>297009
Is Nova still based?

I used to watch that shit a ton.
>>
>>297028

It's alright. PBS is pretty incorruptible. Can't say I've watched it in years though.
>>
>>295649
money anon
>>
>>295662
see >>295825
>>
>>295649
>facebook generation went wrong
>"history is boring we want fantasy with some historical related events mixed in between"

and since networks need public they deliver basic shows to simple people.
but this is something that's being enforced worldwide on every type of media - for example, is almost impossible to open a newspaper today and not see bullshit related to something that happened in social medias or something a (in)famous celebrity posted somewhere...
>>
Anyone here watched Viasat History?
It had some based shows
>>
Favorite Discovery and BBC documentaries?
>>
>>296940
This makes me tremendously sad.
>>
File: cosmos.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cosmos.jpg
413 KB, 1920x1200
God Bless Cosmos
>>
>>295649
Money and Americans are idiots.
>>
>>296940
Where can older volumes be acquired? My grandfather used to buy them all the time and pass them on to me but he died back in 2005. I never really cared for them which is a damn shame because I only have a handful left and they're really good.
>>
>>297873
Idiots for not giving government money to documentarians?
>>
>>297914
Thrift stores like Savers/Value Village and Goodwill usually have some.
>>
>>297914
You can always go to your local public library or university.
>>
>>295649
RRROOOONG

Almost every historical movie about a great leader or battle has had a special History Channel show or series.

The movie Alexander for example, or We Were Soldiers. The one made for Alexander got me super hyped, it was really good.
>>
>>297028
Different guy but Nova still seems pretty good, no sensationalized reenactment bullshit or over the top cig sequences
>>
>>298018
cig= C G I but for some reason /his/ has banned this acronym
>>
>>297830
Planet Earf
>>
Imma leave this here. Seems like a good place for it.

https://youtu.be/9cSzw9eUZOs
>>
>>297853
I remember the image as a kid really getting me interested in nature and science. I really can't bear this.
>>
>>297028
>>297038

NOVA is 100% based. PBS is the last good channel on TV. Muh big government wins again.
>>
>>297009
There is no punishment in the galaxy fitting enough for those responsible for the denegration of the Discovery channel.

I couldn't even believe what they have turned Shark Week into. Is this Return of Megaladon shit really more profitable then a real Shark nature doc?

Luckily PBS stands firm like a rock in sea of bullshit...but I remember what discovery once was and it is pretty upsetting.
>>
>>296940
This is only going to increase the number of people who believe in bullshit like ghosts and it's too much for me to bear.

Such people are freaking everywhere already. While getting my physics degree we had to come up with our own experiment for our advanced experimental class our junior year and another physics student and a friend of mine actually suggested researching telepathy. I was flabbergasted when he mentioned the idea to me.

He dropped out before actually graduating though. Said he wanted to try being a pilot.
>>
>>298712
>disbelieving the supernatural

You must be a sheltered kid.
>>
>>299732
Oh yeah I don't even mean that in a bad way, I kinda envy that.
>>
One of my fonder experiences as a kid was watching a documentary about Catherine the Great on History with my mother. Then it was only Hitler and Nazi shit, and then the H stood for Hillbilly culture. The most interesting thing you can see on History now is some early Christian shit. "Secret" cabals and cults, the "mysteries" of apocryphic books "revealed", etc. You know for sure History is garbage now because every documentary ends with a conclusion that can ultimately be summed up as "we may never know for certain" instead of "For these reasons, X was Y"
>>
cgi
>>
I wish there was still a channel with good documentaries. I used to learn about quantum mechanics and cheetas from documentaries. Now there is nothing.

Fuck, now even National Geographic is gone!
>>
File: fuck.png (106 KB, 1098x1372) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
106 KB, 1098x1372
Fucking hell, it's just Hitler and assholes buying old shit.
>>
Ayyncient Ayyliens isn't too bad. It honestly makes me laugh.

The rest is simply garbage reality tv.

I miss the days when it was basically the fucking World War 2 channel. Or that one show that used Rome Total War to depict how ancient battles went down.
>>
>>297916
Idiots for not defending honest education in all forms.
>>
File: absolutly dildoes.jpg (14 KB, 557x352) Image search: [Google]
absolutly dildoes.jpg
14 KB, 557x352
>>300096
>history
yeah.... right
>>
>>300096
i just got cancer from enlarging that image what the hell
>>
>>295649
You can see books, TV shows and video games going into WWII during the early 2000's as well. Probably had to do with the fact that Saving Private Ryan made people obsessed with WWII.
>>
File: raw.gif (131 KB, 220x130) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
131 KB, 220x130
>>295933
This gets me every fucking time.
>>
>>295933
>SHOULD'VE PRAYED
>TO THE MANTIS
maximum kek
>>
File: DSC_0333.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2250) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0333.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2250
>>296940
So glad I've still got these bad boys. I have maybe twice this amount floating about elsewhere too, the oldest magazine dates to the early 1930s.
>>
>>295649
Hitler lost and all the good history basically stopped so they started talking about aliens and bullshit.
>>
>>297871
was the Neil deGrasse Tyson version any good?
>>
>>296005
last one made me giggle
>>
>>295649
Please add SCOTT WOLTER, AMERICA UNEARTHED. THE HISTORY HISTORIANS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW to the 2011-2015 section
>>
File: 1354499460301.gif (2 MB, 347x200) Image search: [Google]
1354499460301.gif
2 MB, 347x200
>>295933
>>300096
>>
>>295953
No you fucking retards. They go inside the quotes for aesthetic reasons. And before you say it, written language does not follow the rules of logic.

Go read any book published in the US and you'll see periods and commas inside the quotes. This is not a matter of opinion.
>>
History has become shit indeed, but H2 is quite better although not immune to what has happened to History. They've got documentaries and shit somewhat often, but now it's mostly just recycled stuff.
>>
>>300631
>aesthetic reasons

There´s no aesthetics in retardeness.

You´re also talking like it´s a generalized thing, when it´s something you´ll only see out of the USA and even there it´s contested. The rest of the world uses the proper system: periods finish sentences, quotas quote. If the quote is within a sentence, then the period is outside.
>>
>>300484
Yes, it's very good.
>>
File: There-are-more-stars.jpg (104 KB, 520x448) Image search: [Google]
There-are-more-stars.jpg
104 KB, 520x448
>>300484
>>
>>300611
>Hey son, I know you like history, you've got to check out this show
>It's America Unearthed
>Did you know there were Templars in Arizona? That's amazing!
>See? History channel is getting real history shows back like you've always wanted!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAASSRKH T DJ WE JXIHEJKSIS C.F. MSJFJ RD SKFHDH DEE ZK DEE J DEE I AS J
>>
>>295649
We stopped watching TV and moved on to history books
>>
File: turbo cancer.jpg (22 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
turbo cancer.jpg
22 KB, 720x540
>>301686
>A treasure hunter invites Wolter along on his quest to find the Holy Grail in a well on the property of a rumored Templar prince.

>Wolter investigates whether the Ark of the Covenant could be in America.

>The show investigates claims that in 1909, Egyptian treasure may have been discovered in a Grand Canyon cave.

>"Egyptian Secrets of New York City"
>"The Templars' Deadliest Secret: The Chase"
>"The Templars' Deadliest Secret: Evidence Exposed"
>>
>>295649
I think one of the reasons why the quality has turned into such shit is the current generation that watch the history channel. It's predominately older people in their 50s. So the people that watched it in the 90s, are now in their 70s, or beyond. Their main demographic now (the people in their 45-50s) are baby boomers. They have totally different taste and priorities than their parents did. Basically utter trash.
>>
2002-2006 is cutting it a bit early, epic documentaries like The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire was made during those years (it's very good and a must watch for anyone interest in Roman history)
>>
>>295721
not

>nature footage
>narrator talking over silence or quiet ambient noise

>heavily cut and edited backyard video of a snail
>Guy Fieri screaming over dramatic background music with dinosaur sound effects edited in every time the animal does something for comedic value
>>
>hey people liked that hitler documentary lets air more of them
>hey people liked that hitler documentary where we said hitler was an alien, lets air more of them

what's the next step?
>>
File: mysterious mysteries.png (312 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
mysterious mysteries.png
312 KB, 720x540
>>302225
>>
>>302225
A show where people fight to buy aliens that could've been Hitler our of a storage unit.
>>
>>296940
nat geo was recently bought out by the network that owns fox
>>
>>302225
A reality show about truckers.
>>
>>300484
It's made for the reddit demographic but still enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnWnyLcq-8
>>
>>303017
fucking kek
>>
File: 51P8Y7HQZ9L.jpg (33 KB, 336x475) Image search: [Google]
51P8Y7HQZ9L.jpg
33 KB, 336x475
What did you guys think of this show?
>>
>no one in this thread knows about H2

im sorry for you guys
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.