[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>56601213 Ideologically what are the difference between these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1446250361019.png (785 KB, 1024x378) Image search: [Google]
1446250361019.png
785 KB, 1024x378
>>56601213
Ideologically what are the difference between these?
>>
Theologically the orthodox and catholics aren't that different. It's mainly cultural and obviously they disagree on how to organize a church and who should have authority.

Proestants reject nearly every addition to faith through 'tradition' and adhere to the bible alone, usually. Technically Mormons are protestants and they certainly aren't Sola scriptura but I'm referring mainly to north American and European protestants that stemmed from luther.

This is a very crude approximation though.
>>
Orthodoxy is mystical, Catholicism is rationalistic, Protestantism is full retard.
>>
Protestantism is manly.
>>
So Catholicism and Orthodoxy are better than Protestantism because a few people made works of art centuries ago? Nice to know these people have their priorities in check.
>>
Protestants are the reason neo-atheists exist.
>>
Why does everyone automatically assume all protestants are zealots? Moreover, why do I see so many catholics brag about how they take their holy book less seriously than protestants?
>>
>>295256
They should have burned them at the stake like the good ol' days.
>>
Is there any denomination/sect of Christianity that only follows the actual words and deeds of Jesus (the gospels of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John) and ignores the rest? I'm not a big fan of Paul or the other post-Jesus writers and books.
>>
>>295223
Underrated post
>>
>>295304
How do you just ignore most of the bible though? The other shit in the Bible is the reason why Jesus was important instead of just a hippy wandering around.
>>
>>295269
that's not the criticism. it's that protestants among many other things have no sense of the holy/beautiful or of excess. they are very vulgar.
>>
>>295203
Orthodox and Catholics have respectable differences in faith, protestants are retards.
>>
>>295304
You need a good part of the OT to understand Mark, Matthew, Luke and John, though. Jesus makes constante references to the religion of the jews.
>>
>>295203
Worship of the Whore of Babylon mainly.
>>
>>295203
I don't know much about the Orthodox Church. But i do know the differences in Catholic and Protestant Ideologies.

The catholic church over the years has drifted from the faith via social influences. While the protestant church sticks to the Bible.
>>
>>295304
what you are describing is properly called

HERESY.
>>
>>295304
> I'm not a big fan of Paul or the other post-Jesus writers and book
You do realize Paul is the earlies Christian writer we have? His letters (the one not forged, 6 out 13 IIRC) are predate Mark by ~20 years and John by ~50.
Also
>John
>actual words and deeds of Jesus
Yeah, well, no.
>>
File: 1446762335508.jpg (161 KB, 395x365) Image search: [Google]
1446762335508.jpg
161 KB, 395x365
Are there any Christian sects, historical or present, that tried to "de-God" the religion? In other words, turning it into more of a philosophy with spiritual and mystic elements, somewhat similar to Buddhism, Taoism, Jainism, etc, and rejecting or at least strongly limiting the idea of a creator god. I seem to recall hearing about some sort of historical group like that, but I can't remember what they were called.
>>
>>295694
I think you might be thinking of either the Gnostic Christians or the Hermeticists.
>>
>>295694
Unitarians
>>
Protestantism is to Catholicism what Atheism is to religion in general.

they identify themselves by a contrarian nature and feel smug doing it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.