[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are Spaniards and Portuguese? Are they the last of the Gallo-Romans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: Iberian_Peninsula_antique_map.jpg (2 MB, 2096x1700) Image search: [Google]
Iberian_Peninsula_antique_map.jpg
2 MB, 2096x1700
What are Spaniards and Portuguese? Are they the last of the Gallo-Romans? Are they Carthaginians? Are they Visigoths? Are they Arabic Berbers? Are they all of that at the same time?
>>
Are Galicians, Celts?
>>
they are wannabe Mexicans and Brazilians
actually thought they are a heavy mix of all those OP, most Europeans today are incredibly mixed
>>
Mainly Celtiberians mixed with Romans, Goths, Arab-Berbers and Sephardim
>>
Iberia (the name for that whole region) was inhabited by Iberian Celts mostly up until the Roman times before it was conquered by Romans. The area became dominated by the Latins living in Italy, and so the languages in Iberia became more Romantic. After Rome fell, various people groups started moving into their, most notably the Visigoths from Germany and the Umayyads. The Umayyads dominated southern Iberia and up the east coast, in Barcelona. The Umayyads nearly went into France, but they were stopped by Charles "The Hammer" Martel.

In the northwest, the Visigoths formed their own kingdom called Asturia. The German Suebians also moved into this land,, in the area known as Portugal.

As the Umayyads collapsed from internal conflict (they had always had it due to Catholics living in their conquered Iberia) various minor kingdoms arose. Asturia became known as Galacia. Castile ruled in interior. Navarre ruled that little area. Aragon ruled the northwest (called Catalonia in your map) and Leon also ruled the interior.

All their languages were fairly similar. All of these languages combined are called Spanish

Eventually these kingdoms start absorbing each other and claiming more of Iberia, in what is called the Reconquista, as it was seen as a reconquering of Catholic lands in southern Iberia

Portugal has always been on and off during this union.
>>
>>293871
>In the northwest, the Visigoths formed their own kingdom called Asturia. The German Suebians also moved into this land,, in the area known as Portugal.
why are you making this stupid shit up. the germanic kingdoms were long gone when the muslims came. the reconquista was made by a mix of people that just called themselves "hispanics"
>>
>>293871
>Asturia became known as Galacia. Castile ruled in interior. Navarre ruled that little area. Aragon ruled the northwest (called Catalonia in your map) and Leon also ruled the interior.
>Galacia
wut
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>293871
>All of these languages combined are called Spanish
2/10
Castellano, the language of Castile is what we know as spanish.
>>
>>293812
they're a mix of things, which is why their colonies are also a mix of things
>>
>>293871
>Iberia
It was occupied by Iberians from the other end of the Empire.

> Alans
>>
>>295602
that theory is bullshit though
t. portuguese who keeps replying to this thread
>>
>>295599
which is sad. "todas las lenguas españolas" and all.
>>
>>295599
aragonese are the biggest keks in this peninsula
>develop free ruling kingdom
>partner up with castille to make better kingdom to try to become more powerful than portugal
>completely lose their identity in the process
keks desu
>>
File: haplogroups.jpg (2 MB, 3251x2241) Image search: [Google]
haplogroups.jpg
2 MB, 3251x2241
>>293812
The whitest of all europeans.

Since you're probably asking about genetics and not language/culture (in this, we're just barbarized romans), it's good to keep in mind that while we had a lot of invaders they were all small in numbers. The iberian genetic map has not stayed the same since the romans arrived but, well, almost yes.

>>293825
Not more celt than the rest of the peninsula t.b.h.
>>
>>293812
It's safe to assume that both "Visigoth" and "Muslim" rule wasn't more than nominal ethnically speaking. The bulk of the nation is from the preceding Iberians.
>>
File: Alan_kingdom_hispania.png (77 KB, 1066x786) Image search: [Google]
Alan_kingdom_hispania.png
77 KB, 1066x786
>>295615
What theory? They were literally conquered by Alans AKA Samaritans. The Haplogroup G2 marker in Spain and Portugal corresponds to whereabouts the Alans settled.

cont-
>>
>>293871
You're mixing too many shitty half-truths and missconceptions here. And some are just stupid like

>All their languages were fairly similar. All of these languages combined are called Spanish

Spanish is just castillian.

>Asturia became known as Galacia. Castile ruled in interior. Navarre ruled that little area. Aragon ruled the northwest (called Catalonia in your map) and Leon also ruled the interior.

I mean, what the fuck are you on dude? Is your source CK2 and you didn't even pay attention to it?
>>
>>295626
Yeah I agree. I actually find the other Iberian languages more interesting than castellano.At least some are still around like catalan but asutrianu(bable)/lliones is pretty much dead.
>>
>>295648
>iberia is called iberia because of the eastern iberia
that's the theory i'm talking about which is bullshit. also the alans didn't last enough to make any real impact
>>
File: Iberia-maps.png (47 KB, 736x567) Image search: [Google]
Iberia-maps.png
47 KB, 736x567
>>295648
Look at G in this image, this is were the Sarmatians occupied.
>>
>>295659
KEK
>it's the sarmatians guise it's true
lol the alans had virtually no impact on hispania
>>
>>295665
>lol the alans had virtually no impact on hispania
Those maps commonly work in the 0.5-2% ranges and are often misrepresented to drive a point.
>>
>>295656
Its a Greek word, the Greeks called them that, maybe in relation to another people.

Hispania is the name of Spain.
>>
>>295648
>>295659

Sarmatians were the smaller group of all the peoples who went to Iberia. The visigoths, the biggest group, are estimated to be only between 80.000 and 300.000 (to give a wide umbrella of possibles) for a population of roughly four millions of hispano-romans.
>>
>>295676
the alans stayed on hispania for 17 years (409–426 AD)
if you are seriously suggesting they made any sort of real impact you are clearly delusional

>>295680
>maybe in relation to another people
that's a descrited theory i was just talking about. iberia most likely comes from the river eber since that's near where they mostly settled
>>
>>295704
>descrited
discredited**
>>
>>295704
>that's a descrited theory i was just talking about. iberia most likely comes from the river eber since that's near where they mostly settled
Iberia is a GREEK NAME YOU STUPID BASTARD.
>>
>>295710
i know it's a greek name you fucking idiot
i didn't even talk about anything else
"they" refers to the greeks
they came up with that name most likely because of the river, like i said, not because of some other people
>>
>>295680
Hispania = Iberia in latin. España = Hispania in spanish, it changed it's meaning when spanish identity started to be constructed and Portugal wasn't there anymore to be called spanish.

Source: Strabo.
>>
Spainish here. Well there is a excellent article on wikipedia about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_history_of_the_Iberian_Peninsula.

Spanish people basicly are a mix ofrom celts, iberian and romans. With a touch of north African ancestry, specially on the south of the peninsula.
>>
>>295741
it's strange that in my trip i did to spain a couple of years ago the place where i saw more people with blue eyes was in andalusia
maybe just an odd coincidence but still
>>
>>295745
Well it's probably Because during the reconquista a lot of settlers from the north of fleed into the south. I'm galician and for example there is some villages in Extremadura (center-south) where they speak an old variety of the Galician language called Galician-Portugiese which is the common ancestor of actual Galician and portuguese.
>>
>>295745
Andalucia was stteled and northern and even trans-Pyrenean settlers were obviously present.

In my experience, for Andalucia it depends on the town (cities are too diverse to judge just with your eyes).
>>
>>295659
>>295648
>>295602
Anyway the Alans left a small presence across Spain/Portugal, 4-6%.
>>
>>295783
i seriously doubt it's that much
>>
File: JoseAlbeida.jpg (99 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
JoseAlbeida.jpg
99 KB, 600x445
>>295789
Spanish are mongrels, if you met pic related and he said his name was Jose Albeida from Spain, would you disagree with him?
>>
>>295836
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
They're arabs (except for Basques).
>>
>>295955
t. neanderthal euskal
>>
>>293812

Celtiberians that got rekt by romans that got rekt by goths that got rekt by arabs that after 700 years eventually left and we now we say christians rekt them.
>>
>>295955
Good luck with that "white basque woman" they're orcs coming from the pit of Minas Morgul.
>>
File: 1446508864218.jpg (296 KB, 1726x946) Image search: [Google]
1446508864218.jpg
296 KB, 1726x946
Here is the autosomal data

Make your own conclusions
>>
>>295955

Aktschully i'd say the roman and goth and jewish heritage is still pretty evident.

Even though the memes state whe're the sandniggers of Europe Spain is in reality pretty white.
>>
File: irishactors-brendangleeson.jpg (47 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
irishactors-brendangleeson.jpg
47 KB, 300x350
>>296091
Women are a blank canvas, my cock is the brush that creates the human masterpiece.

> except if they're black, then its a canvas covered in shit.
>>
File: Cadiz-Cadiz-Province-Anda-014.jpg (625 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Cadiz-Cadiz-Province-Anda-014.jpg
625 KB, 2560x1536
Fun fact: Cadiz is the oldest city in Spain and one of the oldest in Europe. Founded by Phoenicians.
>>
>>296156
so is lisbon
vai para o caralho espanhol
>>
>>293812
before rome conqured the iberian peninsula
the northern parts where of celtic and iberian
the southern parts where phoecian and iberian
the middle parts a mix of all of them

then yadda yadda yadda rome latinize them all
now they are a mix of latin and all the ones mentionied before

then yadda yadda yadda mohammed created a religion and berbers/moors take up a big part of the southern lands

then yadda yadda yadda modern day they are all a mix of the aforementioned group including alot of other european/north african ethnicities since the most common thing people do is travle and fuck
>>
>>295602
the iberian kingdom is in no way related with the iberian peninsula
>>
>>296216
But it is, seeing that Sarmatian/Alans settled there, left a small presence.

>>295783
>>
>>295659
How do i fit into this if I'm haplogroup 1b2b*, i'd always assumed my ancestors were from spain. (I'm Mexican.)
>>
>>296287
12b1*
>>
>>296276
not really
now stop forcing your stupid shit
>>
>>296287
>>296292
no, you're mayan/aztecan
>>
>>296287
You're a subclade of that, the nomenclature/names are always changing. Also one of the most ancient groups in Europe.
>>
me
>>296323

>>296287
>>296292
You're European, compared to all the other dirty Eurasian invaders, kek
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.